Muzzle Brake Question

Sharpshooter243

I have a Vais muzzlebrake for a .308 dia bullet would it be ok to use it for a 6.5 dia bullet? I know the .308 is bigger but will the hole being bigger throw the pressure around the bullet off?

i know from experience that if your brake does not have the proper clearance its not worth anything but scrap. you have a pretty pricey brake there and i see why you want to re use it but I have personally used a harrels brake which is on my buddies 338 rum and it works awesome and they only cost 30 dollars. look at harrels muzzle brakes. well worth the money. also look at posts by cumminsusa at his rifle that was just finished it looks great.

I have a Vais muzzlebrake for a .308 dia bullet would it be ok to use it for a 6.5 dia bullet? I know the .308 is bigger but will the hole being bigger throw the pressure around the bullet off?

If the bore diameter of the muzzle break is any larger than 20 to 25 thousandths it will
become less effective .

For the price of a brake ( arround $100.00) I would recomend getting a new one with the
right bore dia.

It is not uncommon to bore out the brake a little to accommodate a larger bore as long
as you don't remove to much material.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.