Muzzle brake question

codyadams

So I am going to be working on my fathers Ruger M77 .300 magnum. It's an older all-weather model, has a 26" magnum contour barrel and a ridiculously painful stock, the recoil pad is small, and feels like a heel stabbing your shoulder with the high end 190 grain loads we have. Well I want to optimize this rifle for long range, as much as I can.

I plan on eventually getting a Mcmillan game scout stock, which will help with recoil, and PTG stealth bottom metal, so I will have more room for seating with the bullet I'm going to be developing a load for, the Berger 230 OTM, hopefully getting it to 2800ish fps, which leads back to my thread title.

What would be the best muzzle brake for eliminating recoil on this rifle? As I said, it's a factory magnum contour. I was thinking the APA Micro Bastard, as the larger ones have a larger minimum barrel diameter, at least that's how I understood it. The micro bastard would work on this barrel contour. If anyone has any better suggestions that would be a reasonable price (under $150) I would like to hear your suggestions. The smith I go to has Northwest Precision brakes in stock, anyone heard of these?

Thanks for any input

I have 2 of these brakes . one is the older model 4 port brake with top holes , on a 300 weatherby . the other is the new beast brake on a 338 lapua . I'm very pleased with both of these brakes . when I need another brake I'll buy from him . he has a couple videos comparing his brakes to others .

my beast is a 4 port .

Home Page

Last edited:
codyadams,

When I wanted a new brake I went on youtube to check for actual videos of brakes tested on some kind of recoil slide. The one that seems to beat the others is the Terminator 3 and Terminator 4. The 4 is huge.

Getting rid of your boat paddle and putting a real stock on the rifle will go a long way toward making the rifle controllable. I'd say any good brake will help. I've not shot many aftermarket brakes but my brother in law hung a Vias on a 338rum and she was beautiful to shoot afterward.

So I am going to be working on my fathers Ruger M77 .300 magnum. It's an older all-weather model, has a 26" magnum contour barrel and a ridiculously painful stock, the recoil pad is small, and feels like a heel stabbing your shoulder with the high end 190 grain loads we have. Well I want to optimize this rifle for long range, as much as I can.

I plan on eventually getting a Mcmillan game scout stock, which will help with recoil, and PTG stealth bottom metal, so I will have more room for seating with the bullet I'm going to be developing a load for, the Berger 230 OTM, hopefully getting it to 2800ish fps, which leads back to my thread title.

What would be the best muzzle brake for eliminating recoil on this rifle? As I said, it's a factory magnum contour. I was thinking the APA Micro Bastard, as the larger ones have a larger minimum barrel diameter, at least that's how I understood it. The micro bastard would work on this barrel contour. If anyone has any better suggestions that would be a reasonable price (under $150) I would like to hear your suggestions. The smith I go to has Northwest Precision brakes in stock, anyone heard of these?

Thanks for any input
I have Model 70 Classic Stainless' in both .300wm and .300 Rum. The WM has the grey laminate and the Rum wears a McMillan fiberglass so it's really light. I was shooting 220's out of the Rum this afternoon and they didn't bother me at all.

Both are equipped with the Northwest Precision Muzzle Brake in the slotted version and it's a real recoil tamer and greatly reduces muzzle flip. I have the same brake on my .375Ruger and even shooting 300gr ammo it's a blast to shoot even with the 20" Barrel.

I have the same model (different OS diameters of course) on I think 7 Rifles now and like it well enough I've stopped shopping around for Muzzle brakes.

If nothing else put a Limbsaver's pad on it until you can afford to do the rest.

I short cut on a break this summer and it cost me a lot more than the money I saved to get a good brake installed a second time. I will never again have the mind set that any good brake will do. I think there are a few good ones, but I am settled on the APS Pain Killer. I will not try a different one on my dime again.

I recommend you spend the extra $50 or so and get the small PK.

Steve

I have a Vias brake on both my 338 lapua mag and my 6.5 creedmore and really like them. Did you check out the review that was done on PrecisionRifleBlog.com ?

Getting rid of your boat paddle and putting a real stock on the rifle will go a long way toward making the rifle controllable. I'd say any good brake will help. I've not shot many aftermarket brakes but my brother in law hung a Vias on a 338rum and she was beautiful to shoot afterward.

Yep! That's exactly what I did >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/ruger-m77-mkii-facelift-range-report-40952/

With the MB, 225 NAB, the felt recoil similar to that off a .308 Win.

Only problem with the Vais is that after I get a load developed, my guns never really see a bench again, I shoot prone off a bipod, and I don't want my gear and myself getting buried in dirt and grass. I should have mentioned this, but I would like a brake with no bottom vents to prevent this problem.

I'm looking into the painkiller brake right now, and though it is the most expensive brake I have came across, If it does an excellent job I feel it would be worth it. Does anyone know his lead times on these brakes?

Only problem with the Vais is that after I get a load developed, my guns never really see a bench again, I shoot prone off a bipod, and I don't want my gear and myself getting buried in dirt and grass. I should have mentioned this, but I would like a brake with no bottom vents to prevent this problem.

I'm looking into the painkiller brake right now, and though it is the most expensive brake I have came across, If it does an excellent job I feel it would be worth it. Does anyone know his lead times on these brakes?

Have you looked at the Terminator 3?

Yep, the 360 degree radial discharge brakes are worthless, in fact can be a serious detriment if you're shooting prone and don't lay some sort of tarp or shooting mat out in front of you.

I had a Mod 70 7mm Rem that came with the Boss and found myself one evening down in the sand alongside a wheat field trying to take a long poke at a very nice buck.

The wind was blowing directly into my face and when I touched it off it was like sticking your face in the spray from a sandblaster.

All joking aside it's a great way to do serious damage to your eyes or to at least have a few very miserable minutes trying to get the dust/sand out of your eyes so you can see if you hit your target.

I shoot prone with my 338 lapua and the vias brake all the time no problems maybe if I was doing that in loose soil it would be a problem but then again if I was shooting in loose sandy soil with any gun brake or not with the wind in my face I'm sure it would be a problem.!

I shoot prone with my 338 lapua and the vias brake all the time no problems maybe if I was doing that in loose soil it would be a problem but then again if I was shooting in loose sandy soil with any gun brake or not with the wind in my face I'm sure it would be a problem.!
Not with a good side discharge brake since they are blowing the blast out laterally from you.

You will have to check with Kirby at APS. The last few that we have ordered have been on hand. I also shoot prone on the ground in hunting situations. This break has yet to cause a problem. Once I shot a muley prone in the fresh snow and I got a bit on me, but could have shot more if needed no problem.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts