Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?

• Yes: I like it.

Votes: 340 55.7%
  • No: I am not a wimp.

Votes: 114 18.7%
  • No: But I am seriously thinking of one.

Votes: 156 25.6%

• Total voters
Exactly the point I was trying to make in my lengthy post. If you see the bullet impact, the chances of recovering a wounded animal rise dramatically. You at least have enough information to make an educated estimate of how far the animal will most likely go before dying or at least lying down. If you are a dedicated, hunt every year from opener to closer, sometime in your hunting career, a brake will save you a trophy that otherwise would be lost. The story I posted above about the doe I shot is exactly a case in point. It was not a trophy, obviously, but an animal that had to be found and not wasted.
The ability to stay on target until the bullet impacts also allows you to very quickly correct for a follow up shot if you miss. When shooting at 600yds plus you are going to have misses and need to make rapid corrections.

You are going to get a hundred deferent answers. I made a living hunting and always got asked what i thought was the best caliber was or gun to hunt with the best is one that you are comfortable shooting. Not the biggest you can pull the trigger on. If your 300thoughts is getting to be a little to much drop down. I've seen some amazing shoots done with 270 30-06 and 308 s. A smaller cal doesn't make less of a man. Save your hearing.

This question to me is identical to the following: Should I have a 280lb lumberjack punch me or an 8 yr old girl tickle me. You can answer that how you want.
If you dont get one consider this.
Why is anyone shooting without one? Money? Noisy? Too macho(LMAO)?
Those are the best reasons someone will come up with to not have one.(Which will all be explained when you find out grampa didnt like em either)
Money.....have ya got $200?
Noisy?....Are you actually dumb enuf to shoot without protection anyway? REALLY?
TOO MACHO? ...Ok now we have found the REal issue..Oh and grampa didnt need one.
Reality is this:
You will shoot better.
You will shoot more.
You will get back on target to spot the shot or send a 2nd much faster.Or kill multiples.
Your gun will ride bags or a pod better.
You will quit flinching(If you currently dont you wont start)
You will enjoy shooting more(that MIGHT make you a better shot)
Your gun will be more accurate(if you can hold a certain MOA with a hard kicker then you will control a light kicker even better)
If your gun kicks less it will stay sighted in easier(as long as scope holds)(yes brakes are supposedly harder on glass but I have had more bedding issues with big kickers than scopes on light kickers)
However....some people will evidently say you are a wimp and dont need something thier grandfather didnt have....tell them to go steal MIKE TYSONS tiger and throw thier nightforce and ballistics app away. That way theyll get slugged real hard and miss a lot of shots. Makes sense.
To fix the two issues everyone brings up get used to wearing electronic muffs around your neck at all times and go beat Mike Tyson up so that everyone wont think you are a wimp.
And if you worry about dust get a brake without bottom holes.
While your at it look at my sig line.

Exactly the point I was trying to make in my lengthy post. If you see the bullet impact, the chances of recovering a wounded animal rise dramatically. You at least have enough information to make an educated estimate of how far the animal will most likely go before dying or at least lying down. If you are a dedicated, hunt every year from opener to closer, sometime in your hunting career, a brake will save you a trophy that otherwise would be lost. The story I posted above about the doe I shot is exactly a case in point. It was not a trophy, obviously, but an animal that had to be found and not wasted.
Yeah right Im sure its so you can see impacts when we all KNOW that only wimps use them. Youre just makin exzcuses. My grampa didnt need one so they must be the devil bla bla bla bla. Great post old teacher. My gunstore guy hates brakes too. His goto guns? A 6-47 and a 338 yogi(weighs 60+lbs). So one that cant kick due to cartidge size and one due to weight. Id shoot a 7mm stw and a 13lb yogi and call it good BUT.......I am a wimp I even put it in my signature line.

I have to laugh when those opposed to brakes call those of us who enjoy the benefits of a better shooting rifle wimps. What do we call a guy whose afraid of a little noise? I don't use a brake because I worry about my shoulder. It is a fact that it is much easier to spot impacts with a brake and the rifle handles better. It is true I used to hate when a guy would show up at the range with one before I got one but I don't buy my guns to impress the guy at the range. As a hunting guide I have had to sit next to a brake while shading the shooters eyes more than once. It doesn't make me mad at all. What bothers me is when they miss or worse wound something. If it helps you shoot better I'm all for it.

+1. Guides who gripe about brakes are either stupid as Forrest Gump or fictional.
Guy shows up with an 8lb 300 ultra and no brake and I already KNOW I'm in for a crappy week.

And for you "REAL MEN" who dont NEED brakes but have a sumo wrestler sitting on a led sled or some other form of artificial weight addition consider this.
1 your gun will NOT shoot to the same POI with a heavy lead sled or other weight additive such as a bag between the stock as it will off of bags or pod or truck hood, it may work real good at 100 but 1k will be a lil different story.
2 Your gun will however eventually tear some sh@t up doing this. I have seen an unbraked 375 RUM break a stock after bench testing a bunch of 350gr@2700. One of my 338 edges that has had a rd or two fired in anger at turtles wallowed out the action threads in not that much time and it had a brake but is very heavy, at the time about 40LBS.
Other than that go for it! (I realize a tore up gun and a missed trophy are much less important than looking macho and having a gun thats 3db quieter)
I never admitted I wanted a brake either till I got one. Now Im a wimp but a lot deadlier wimp. Is that even possible or is that an oxymoron?

Yeah right Im sure its so you can see impacts when we all KNOW that only wimps use them. Youre just makin exzcuses. My grampa didnt need one so they must be the devil bla bla bla bla. Great post old teacher. My gunstore guy hates brakes too. His goto guns? A 6-47 and a 338 yogi(weighs 60+lbs). So one that cant kick due to cartidge size and one due to weight. Id shoot a 7mm stw and a 13lb yogi and call it good BUT.......I am a wimp I even put it in my signature line.
My great grandad shot an original 1874 Sharps falling block identical to the Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 long range express. It was the premier long range hunting rifle of it's day. Weighed about 18lbs with the 32" barrel, no muzzle brake, no smokeless powder, and a steel butt plate!

He'd kick me square in the teeth though if I didn't upgrade as technology advanced just like he did.

You guys are too funny. If the man wants a brake then put one on. But to be saying that guys that use to brakes become an amazing shooter is just a bunch of a bla...bla..bla.. you shoot what works for you.. the one guy that says that he was or is a guide and that if he had a hunter that didn't have a brake one a 300 mag then he was going to hate that hunt is a joke. I've guided for many years in ak. And mi. And just because you have a brake on is going to make you the best shot in the group. Is just a bunch of bla...bla...bla... shoot what works for you and dont pull the trigger unless you are shure where the **** thing is going to hit...

You guys are too funny. If the man wants a brake then put one on. But to be saying that guys that use to brakes become an amazing shooter is just a bunch of a bla...bla..bla.. you shoot what works for you.. the one guy that says that he was or is a guide and that if he had a hunter that didn't have a brake one a 300 mag then he was going to hate that hunt is a joke. I've guided for many years in ak. And mi. And just because you have a brake on is going to make you the best shot in the group. Is just a bunch of bla...bla...bla... shoot what works for you and dont pull the trigger unless you are shure where the **** thing is going to hit...
Never said he was going to be an amazing shot. Did say he wasnt going to shoot as well as a guy with a properly sized brake. Or are you saying that recoil handling at the shot has no effect on accuracy? Yea youre right thats why all the benchrest guys shoot 338-378s at 100 yds. Yep itts the new thing coming Im sure. I'll head over to BR central and tell em all about your theory Im sure therell be a run on 378 cases shortly.
A guy with an 8lb 300 ultra with no brake on AVERAGE will shoot MUCH BETTER with a brake. If you would like to dispute that then fine I give up as you evidently live in a universe with differing physics laws from my own. I have had a squatload of guys with flinching problems over the years especially since the UM became an easy to buy round. If all of your guys are crack shots I guess you were one lucky dude. Most of my guys couldnt hit a barn from the inside.
Also you say that a brake wont make you the best shot in a group. Thats not really a valid statement since the brake toter may be a crappy shot anyway and the group might include david tubb and michele gallagher.
A brake will make a guy a better shot/hunter at LR in ALMOST every instance. DISAGREE? If you do then you must be new to all this. A brake may not matter in the deer woods but it does out where we shoot over 80ft regularly. LRH without a braked gun is just silly and unethical(because its less effective...period). If your goal is to increase wounding by all means dont use a brake.
While we are at it in your closing sentence....uhh if you do send that shot that YOU KNOW is gonna hit....how will you KNOW IT DID HIT without a brake?
Naysay all you want and gawd forbid you try anything new. If we all go around trying new stuff then sooner or later we will have systems capable of killing cleanly at 1k....oh I forgot we already do. Oh well I think Im headin back to my self bow n some alder saplings with a chunk o flint on the end.

My great grandad shot an original 1874 Sharps falling block identical to the Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 long range express. It was the premier long range hunting rifle of it's day. Weighed about 18lbs with the 32" barrel, no muzzle brake, no smokeless powder, and a steel butt plate!

He'd kick me square in the teeth though if I didn't upgrade as technology advanced just like he did.

Nah he wouldnt want you to use a brake at LR cuz they dont help you shoot better or mitigate recoil or cause less wear on the gun or make a 2nd shot easier or keep you from flinching or keep your retinas attached or your shoulder from damage or the gun from torquing as badly or muzzle jump lessened or more accuracy due to less gun movement or anything like that. Ya just dont need em....according to trapper ron anyway. They are loud though! And my dad is cooler than yours. Sorry when logic wont agree with me I just pull out the "my way is better cuz I say it is card" even though all of the data is 100% to the opposite view. I WIN!

NEWS FLASH!!!!!

HORNADY RELEASES NEW VARMINT ROUND! THE 458 LOTT! SNCE RECOIL DOESNT MATTER HORNADY HAS RELEASED A NEW 500 GR 2900FPS SLUG WITH A POLYMER TIP FOR PRAIRIE DOGS. THIS BULLET IS DESIGNED TO BE SHOT FROM A 6LB LIGHTWEIGHT SPORTER AND WILL BE THE BEST VARMINT COMBO EVER! REPORTS INDICATE 100% LETHALITY ON VARMINTS AND SHOOTERS! HORNADY'S ACCURRACY GURU IMA DUMASS STATED " THIS IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE! EVER SINCE WE DISCOVERED THAT PHYSICS LAWS ONLY APPLY WHEN WE WANT THEM TO, WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WAYS TO USE THIS. THE 458 LOTT'S NEXT INROAD WILL BE IN BENCHREST SHOOTING WHERE WE ARE DEVELOPING A 2LB PISTOL FOR NEXT YEARS SUPER SHOOT.....SHOULD BE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!

Why would anyone want a gun to kick more than necessary? Who would choose a gun with the same cartidge that kicks twice as bad? S&M is for the bedroom not the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts