Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?

• Yes: I like it.

Votes: 340 55.7%
  • No: I am not a wimp.

Votes: 114 18.7%
  • No: But I am seriously thinking of one.

Votes: 156 25.6%

• Total voters
Bowhunter:I have a 257 STW which I had custom built right after Lane Simpson introduced the cartridge about 15 years ago. I have shot it a lot, have taken several deer with it, and it is one of my favorite rifles. When I decided I wanted one, I called Simpson for info, and he was very high on the cartridge at the time, but he does not mention it much anymore, and has taken it off his favorite cartridges list, last I heard. When he introduced it, he also published a ton of reloading info with it...various powders, bullets, etc, as well as group sizes, high and low groups and averages, and the most efficient powders and bullets. They definitely can be barrel burners, so you have to keep them spotlessly clean. Mine probably has about 2000 rounds through it, and it shows no sign of extraordinarily high barrel wear. It still shoots 1/2 MOA groups, shoots very flat, and is accurate with a number of loads. I would recommend to anyone contemplating building one to put a variable scope that goes to a relatively high magnification to fully take advantage of the cartridge's extraordinary capabilities. The only problem I encountered is that my barrel is much tighter than any used by Simpson and I had to come down about 15% to make his loads work in my rifle.
( I just found the magazine, and it is "Shooting Times" , June of 1998, volume 19, issue #6. The article begins on page 46 and it is very lengthy, giving you everything you need to know to reload, OAL,, powders, primers, bullets, etc. On page 49 , he lists 61 loads, including Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Berger, Remington, and Speer bullets from 75 to 120 grains, and 16 powders, with results from several different rifles and barrel lengths and scopes. He has an accuracy legend that shows his most accurate loads were all using either Reloder 22 or 25.) I have one difference of opinion with his recommendations, and that is the use of Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. They are great for punching paper, but if you shoot a deer with them, they literally blow the deer up. I shot one deer at about 85 yards with an 85 gr. NBT, and it completely disemboweled the deer upon exiting. The exit hole was the entire soft side of the deer, and all vital organs and the complete digestive tract were outside the deer. They do work better at longer ranges. If your friend cannot find this info, leave me a message, I will photocopy the page and send it to him.

I don't have a .300 Win Mag yet though I am looking at purchasing one and I will have a brake on the one I buy. You can always take it off when you hunt if you want to. I had a custom .375 H&H that a gentileman I know built for me that put a brake on it that he believed in. It was my first rifle over .30-06 and the first muzzle brake I had ever used and all I can say is that .375 H&H was so tame that it was real pleasure to shoot even from the bench. :)

The 30-06 was voted the cartridge of the 20th century, and rightfully so. It won the second world war. But IMHO, the 300 Win mag is the finest cartridge ever produced. Flatshooting, inherently accurate case, capable od shooting bullets accurately from 125 gr. to 250 gr., it can be used for any North American big game. 80 grains of reloder 22 behind a Nosler silver tip produces a cartridge that drives a bullet at about 3300 fps. Everyone has their favorite cartridge, and this is mine, which is why I have three of them. With a good brake, they are almost recoiless

The 30-06 was voted the cartridge of the 20th century, and rightfully so. It won the second world war. But IMHO, the 300 Win mag is the finest cartridge ever produced. Flatshooting, inherently accurate case, capable od shooting bullets accurately from 125 gr. to 250 gr., it can be used for any North American big game. 80 grains of reloder 22 behind a Nosler silver tip produces a cartridge that drives a bullet at about 3300 fps. Everyone has their favorite cartridge, and this is mine, which is why I have three of them. With a good brake, they are almost recoiless
It would take a lot of work to come up with a cogent argument to the contrary.

If I were stuck having to pick one single caliber for all of my rifle hunting it would be a horse race between the 300wm and 7mm STW. Figure in barrel life and the 300wm of course wins the horse race.

Fortunately I'll never be in such a position to have to choose between them.. .:D

It would take a lot of work to come up with a cogent argument to the contrary.

If I were stuck having to pick one single caliber for all of my rifle hunting it would be a horse race between the 300wm and 7mm STW. Figure in barrel life and the 300wm of course wins the horse race.

Fortunately I'll never be in such a position to have to choose between them.. .:D
I'm a fan of my .300 WM. 79.5 gr of h1000 under a 308gr Amax is .25 moa shooter and supersonic out to 1400 yards. It has it's idiosyncrasy's because of the belt when it comes to reloading but once you sort that out it's smooth sailing.

best muzzle brake = suppressor. If you live in a free state anyway. I run a elite iron on my 300 win. half the recoil, no ear plugs needed. win win.

Wild Rose: I was just pondering the statement you place at the end of your posts, and the number of people, even a lot of gun people, who do not know how true that is. Number one, the anti's usually interpret the 2nd amendment as being relevant to our military forces only, but if you look it up in a GOOD dictionary, it states that a militia is a group of armed citizens SEPARATE from the professional military. Also, the framers of the bill of rights, primarily, James Madison but certainly driven by Thomas Jefferson, did not include the second amendment only so that ordinary citizens could protect their homes and families from intruders. Jefferson was intelligent (there is the understatement of the last four centuries)enough to realize that if not controlled, any government will become too powerful and eventually infringe, one by one, on the rights of its citizens, and those citizens have the right to protect themselves not only from home invaders, but from the federal government. That is how this country came into being in the first place. I am certainly not trying to advocate the overthrow of our federal government, but I do believe in the domino effect...eliminate one right, and someone will take aim at another, and slowly the Bill of Rights, although it may still exist, will be so watered down as to be irrelevant. Anyone who believes that the federal government would not like to restrict freedom of the press is hiding in a dark place. I am not a crackpot...if you do not agree with me, just listen to what politicians are saying, and take a good look at what happened to gun rights in Australia.

I am reminded of a quote from John Kennedy, and although I may be off a word or two, I will put it in quotations marks. At a formal Whitehouse dinner to which he had invited most of the truly intelligent men of the world, his opened his remarks by saying, "Never have so many geniuses gathered in one place for dinner since Thomas Jefferson dined alone." And (and this is me speaking, not Kennedy) never in the history of the world have so many geniuses come together at the same time in the same place in a common cause as the framers of our constitution. The second amendment was not added to the constitution by accident, folks.

Yup, don't think i'd shoot a rifle without one.
I have Vais Brakes on 3 of my guns, kinda wish I woulda gone with a muscle or edge brake though... the Vais will blow dirt all over ya. :)

Wild Rose: I was just pondering the statement you place at the end of your posts, and the number of people, even a lot of gun people, who do not know how true that is. Number one, the anti's usually interpret the 2nd amendment as being relevant to our military forces only, but if you look it up in a GOOD dictionary, it states that a militia is a group of armed citizens SEPARATE from the professional military. Also, the framers of the bill of rights, primarily, James Madison but certainly driven by Thomas Jefferson, did not include the second amendment only so that ordinary citizens could protect their homes and families from intruders. Jefferson was intelligent (there is the understatement of the last four centuries)enough to realize that if not controlled, any government will become too powerful and eventually infringe, one by one, on the rights of its citizens, and those citizens have the right to protect themselves not only from home invaders, but from the federal government. That is how this country came into being in the first place. I am certainly not trying to advocate the overthrow of our federal government, but I do believe in the domino effect...eliminate one right, and someone will take aim at another, and slowly the Bill of Rights, although it may still exist, will be so watered down as to be irrelevant. Anyone who believes that the federal government would not like to restrict freedom of the press is hiding in a dark place. I am not a crackpot...if you do not agree with me, just listen to what politicians are saying, and take a good look at what happened to gun rights in Australia.

I am reminded of a quote from John Kennedy, and although I may be off a word or two, I will put it in quotations marks. At a formal Whitehouse dinner to which he had invited most of the truly intelligent men of the world, his opened his remarks by saying, "Never have so many geniuses gathered in one place for dinner since Thomas Jefferson dined alone." And (and this is me speaking, not Kennedy) never in the history of the world have so many geniuses come together at the same time in the same place in a common cause as the framers of our constitution. The second amendment was not added to the constitution by accident, folks.
I spent a lot of time researching the BOR for my own purposes years ago and for some papers I did in college.

What many people miss is the simplicity of the language of the 2nd.

"The militia" as defined by the author of the 2nd George Mason is every man capable of bearing arms in defense.

The ability to raise a militia in times of need is 100% dependent upon having an armed populous, and those people having the arms necessary to mount a credible defense of their homes, families, communities, an states if needed.

From a military standpoint they counted on the militia being able to be raised and respond to any threat in a timely fashion and to be able to fight a delaying action if nothing else while the guard, reserves, and active duty federal forces could be moved into the area in support or to take over.

From their own words, it's absolutely an "individual right" as our last means of defense from tyrants no matter where that tyranny comes from.

aww come on wildrose lets talk about wildcats, The 6.5/300wm has kinda peeked my imagination. I also have a friend that is trying to develop a load for the 257stw, talk about overbored!

I have a 6.5-300wm that I built last year. I shot a deer at 1006yds with it in Oct. too.

Wild Rose: my .257 STW is my second favorite rifle, extraordinarily versatile, and inherently accurate. It's a "must" for any collection. Get to work!!!!

I am currently looking for the right brake for my wby .300 mark v. And please do yourself a favor and use hearing protection, always. I lost the upper 1/3 of mine permanently in viet-nam, and it never comes back.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.