muzzle brakes for 300 win mag

I have a kdf brake on my 700 Sendero 7mm rem mag.

It was unpleasant for me and my 14yo to shoot repeatedly beforehand. Now, it's like a 243 or less and very pleasant to shoot 20-40 rounds in an afternoon.

You'll want hearing protection which you should wear regardless.

I have other smaller rifles with brakes (25-06, 240wm) and have never regretted them.

dayum!!! kdf chart says it makes a 300 win mag feel like a 243? wow.....
That's probably about right.

Vais brakes are allegedly slightly more efficient.

If you hunt, you need to take into account that shooting prone with a brake kicks up a lot of dust. ...nothing a shooting mat or cardboard or whatever can't handle if placed under the muzzle.

Some brakes send the gases to the side. But, I don't have experience with those.

Suppressors are really nice if it's legal for your intended purpose and within your budget.

I have a VAIS on a 300wm 700 ss w/24in barrel, does reduce felt recoil quite a bit. First rifle that I've ever had one on( it came on rifle). I rarely have it on there but you can really tell the difference. As another poster said brakes kick up dust and other stuf when shooting prone.

how much will a muzzle brake reduce felt recoil on a remington 700 ss 5r in300 win mag caliber?

There are various MB designs and sizes with varying claims of effectiveness. End user's preferences (and intended uses, i.e. target or hunting (esp. LR), etc ...) is the key.

"Felt recoil" is all relative, it is different for each person, what is excessive for one user might not be for you and vice versa. Due to the extreme possible variations in firearm design, weight, grip design, ammunition being used (bullet weight, velocity, powder charge), etc ... and of course "people" it will not give you a direct correlation from one firearm to another.

Anyways, now that we've got that out of the way, my Savage 111F in .300WM has the old Holland's QD and my SAKO M995 in .300WM has a custom designed and built by my gunsmith that is similar to the QD except with 4 holes on side instead of 3 ... and both shoots (my felt recoil) comparable to that of a .243.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

As already stated the brakes allow a much more comfortable day of shooting and most of all, for me, they allow me to get back on target to see hits after a given distance. I just built a fairly light 300 win mag. Even with the 28" Sendero contour barrel and a 2lb Nightforce scope it comes in at 12.6 lbs with bipod. My wife is a small framed gal of 5' 3" and she shoots this rifle loaded with a stout load of H-1000 and a 210 Berger getting a velocity of just under 3000 fps. She shoots it well and took her Elk this year at 415 yards. The brake on this rifle was recommened by the smith that built it. It is the JP precision. I have since put this brake on two other rifles, a 7mm Rem and a friends 300 win. These brake work and I like the looks and the ease of cleaning. If installed correctly, you can clean the crown as well with out removing the brake.

Thats mt 2 1/2 cents.

Jeff gun)gun)

There are lots of breaks to choose from, and they all reduce felt recoil by 30% to 50% depending
on there design.

Looks are important also and you need to decide what you like the best on your rifle.

The more effective the brake the is , the more noise and shock wave it produces. And the quieter
the break the less effective it is at reducing recoil.

The most effective style of breaks is the "Fish gill" (Like the big 50s have) with the baffles angling
backwards, but they are the loudest and produce the biggest shock wave.

Next is the large ported brakes with baffles (Like the Holland,DE,Pain killer,Muscle ETC) and are
very popular with the long range crowd with the larger magnum rifles.

Smaller breaks with drilled holes make up the rest and depending on there design(Baffled or not)
are the least effective but are considered the best looking by some.

I have and use all types depending on the application and looks on certain rifles.

For hunting rifles I recommend the quieter style of breaks, and for prone shooting the large ported
breaks with no holes on the bottom and maximum effectiveness.

If you don't like to were hearing protection (Not recommended with any shooting) then no break
is best.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.