muzzle brake on 30-378

PEEWEE69

I'm in the process of building a 30-378 I no nothing about muzzle brakes . Since I know I'm gonna need one for this build I'm looking for any advice. A little information on what I'm wanting since I will be shooting prone want a break that won't kick up too much dirt and such and if possible get one that doesn't raise the sound to much . I do know the sound level will increase . And I also would like the break to match the barrel contour

My choice is Terminator T5. I do not like holes on top. Prefer sideway ports. The holes on top will push the barrel down hard.

I happened to check with the Assassin MB and it looked impressed.

I've heard good things about the Assassin but I do not own one. I have a slabbed Muscle brake on one rifle that I really like and the Muscle brake is available in a barrel-diameter version. If you're going with a heavy barrel the Snowy Mountain brake is pretty sweet. It's a bigger brake so maybe not a good choice if you're trying to keep weight down. I have one on a 300 Win and it works extremely well.

I'm in the process of building a 30-378 I no nothing about muzzle brakes . Since I know I'm gonna need one for this build I'm looking for any advice. A little information on what I'm wanting since I will be shooting prone want a break that won't kick up too much dirt and such and if possible get one that doesn't raise the sound to much . I do know the sound level will increase . And I also would like the break to match the barrel contour
I have these installed on 7 different rifles from a .264wm to .375 Ruger and they perform fantastically.

I have the slotted version and find both the recoil and muzzle flip reductions to be quite dramatic. The brake on the .375Ruger took it from being tolerable to shoot to being a real joy to shoot.

Muzzle Brake Rifle of Pistol Muzzle Break | eBay

I've heard good things about the Assassin but I do not own one. I have a slabbed Muscle brake on one rifle that I really like and the Muscle brake is available in a barrel-diameter version. If you're going with a heavy barrel the Snowy Mountain brake is pretty sweet. It's a bigger brake so maybe not a good choice if you're trying to keep weight down. I have one on a 300 Win and it works extremely well.
I have one of he Snowy Mountain MB's on my Winchester Sharpshooter 7mm STW. Works great!

The Northwest Precision brake I linked to above is very similar but seems to be rather an improved version of it and at a fraction of the cost.

If you can get ahold of him you could look at the aps pain killer breaks made by Kirby Allen. You could also look at American precision arm's fat bastard break or the little jimmy break. My cousin has a fat bastard on his 338 lapua it tames the recoil down to...it's similar to my youth model 243 win with 80gr bullets.

. And I also would like the break to match the barrel contour

Turning the brake down will decrease the size of the baffles, thus decreasing the amount of recoil reduction. I recently turned one of Ryan's muscle brakes down to match a Remington varmint contour barrel with good results, however this was just on a 280 Ackley...........a cartridge which doesn't really need a brake in the first place. :rolleyes:

Turning the brake down will decrease the size of the baffles, thus decreasing the amount of recoil reduction. I recently turned one of Ryan's muscle brakes down to match a Remington varmint contour barrel with good results, however this was just on a 280 Ackley...........a cartridge which doesn't really need a brake in the first place. :rolleyes:
More surface area is certainly better/more effective but I have the brakes turned down to just slightly over barrel diameter on my 300 RUM's (Sendero Profile) and 375 Ruger and they are doing the job just fine.

With a thinner standard magnum profile barrel though you're right, adding an inline MB on them is mostly a waste of money because of the lack of surface area in the baffles.

Thanks for the info
Since I know nothing just take an educated guess and hope it works
Again thanks for helping a newbie to breaks
Since as I read your original post you are building a custom talk to your smith about barrel contours now, figure out what you want and get a break the appropriate size based on his/her recommendation.

Do not get a radial discharge brake if you ever plan to shoot in the prone position or think that you may need to at some point.

Have look at the Terminator range at shoot-long.com .

Do you have one or personal (or perhaps others will chime in too) experience to share? I saw videos on you tube and looks very effective on the recoil side but I'm curious about the concussion due to to port angles, esp. the ones closest to the shooter.

Some pretty slick designs comes from NZ, D.F. Maisey's MB design looks pretty good and the his video and tests on youtube are pretty savvy too.

I was going to try it myself on my .300 WSM but it was too pricey for me to just try so I went with Benchmark's tactical mini MB (design adopted/improved from CSR's muscle brakes (with Jim See's collaboration) and I should get it before the end of the month.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Benchmark tactical brake - mini.JPG
    Benchmark tactical brake - mini.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.