most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

Tikkas shoot very well, all in all. 3/4 inch out of the box is very common with factory ammunition.

I'm surprised not one person mentioned CZ. I know of five of these guns including one of my own that shoot 1/2" or better with factory ammo! And they are the only factory produced gun besides the semi-customs like Cooper that have hand lapped barrels. And their triggers are awesome.

In my experience, I would rate them as follows:

CZ
Cooper
Savage
Howa
Remington

And a Browning with a BOSS is in there somewhere too.

JFYI:
Weatherby Accumarks have hand lapped barrels. Every one of the ones I have been around are all shooters. It's the closest you can get to a custom in a mass produced rifle.

JFYI:
Weatherby Accumarks have hand lapped barrels. Every one of the ones I have been around are all shooters. It's the closest you can get to a custom in a mass produced rifle.

Accumarks use Criterion barrels which are a division of Krieger so they are not really a factory lapped barrel although they are installed on factory rifles.

I've never seen terribly great accuracy out of the majority of Wby's I've seen. Not to tick you off about them because you obviously like them, but I don't ever think of them as a well engineered gun. At least the mark 5's. The Vanguards are a bit more sound as far as the actions go.

What WBY needs to do is mate the Mark 5 barrel and stock with the Vanguard action in a sub moa package. That would be the best of both worlds.

My 2005-2006-2007 catalogs cited the Criterion brand barrels as premium button rifled hand lapped barrels.

The 2008 literature mentions niether.
Now it just says: "Button-rifled, heavy contour free-floated 26" barrel with longitudinal flutes to trim weight and dissipate heat (.705 muzzle diameter )"

I'm pretty sure they still shoot ok. Every Accumark barrel I have played with has been super smooth right out of the box. Very little to break in.

Let's be sure not to lump in all Mark 5's. The wood stocked ones can be a real challenge to get to shoot. I mention one specific model. The heavy Accumark. They typically shoot 1/2 MOA with ammo they like. Due to the stock shape they take a firm hold to get them to group. If you let it free recoil it will spray them all over the place.

I must be doing something wrong for my Cooper 22ppc not to shoot under half inch at 100 yards. Its a shooter. My best groups have been fired with this rifle.

I am extremly impressed with mine, wished I had 10 more. Its an addiction I tell ya.

Last edited:
savagegroup2.jpg

this is how my savage .223 10fp shoots at 100yds. the group on the right is the largest. usually they are like the one on the left or 1 ragged hole. the only mods are bedding of the action in a savage laminated stock and a SSS competition trigger.

out of the box

This is only from limited
experience, but I have had good to exellent accuacy out of my Rem 700's. Recently I've been working with a new Tikka and have had more trouble finding an accurate load. I will continue to prefer Remington.
Tim

I thought we were talking about long range big game rifles. I have found Ruger varminters to be extremely accurate right out of the box. I like mine in 22-250 flavor.

Remington 700 LTR in .308 consistently shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA and Kimber 8400 in .300WSM shoots 3/4 MOA or less, both with factory ammo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.