More fouling than in my underwear

Coyboy

Rem 700 ss 7mm mag. Has anyone ever tried fire lapping a barrel that fouled alot? I've tried different bullet manf. and fouling seems the same. I'm awaire of the tubbs bullets and the wheeler lapping kit has anyone used them?
What was the outcome? Did it help accuracy?

I'v got a Sendero in 7 mag. Had the same problem until I used a product from remington called Bore Cleaner. Take a tight fitting jag a patch and run through the bore about 200 times. When ever the jag gets dry apply more bore cleaner.

Sounds like you're thinking of Butch's Bore Shine, but I've talked to several folks; who swear by Tubbs bullets - using the fine grade until they got a mirror finish.

I do regular cleanings with shooters coice and CR10 (dont mix) Problem is I do to much cleaning. I own 9 centerfire rifles 3 remingtons. This particular rifle fouls worse than all of them. My interest is in useful information on correcting or reducing the fouling. Has Anyone tried fire lapping a bore? Will this help or is it better to just leave it alone?

When I saw the topic title I thought for sure Dave King was the author. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm a fan of "JBs Bore Scrub". It is a nonbedding abrasive compound that helps to smooth the rough parts in your barrel. Its not too expensive and a small jar will last you quite a long time.

I have only tried fire lapping one time and it was a huge disaster,I started out with a 6mm-284 and ended up with a 6.5-284 that still did not shoot,but on the positive side I could shoot higher B.C. bullet's
B.

Tried the Tubbs package on a problematic 300 Win Mag. Nothing could make this barrel shoot. The bore and throat appeared rough. As a last resort I lapped it. It did make the barrel shoot better, but not up to my standards. Time for a new barrel. I do believe the lapping helped though. It did foul less and definetly smoothed things up. The throat was moved out by 0.053" with the full process. If your gun shoots good, but is a little rough and fouls, I would only use the fine grit bullets. Tubb's instructions are good and do address only partial lapping of quality barrels.

I did it once,used neco kit.instructions were not clear but in the faq's it stated that you must wipe off all excess grit.!!!!! the barrel was nice and smooth and cleaned up real nice,however the throat was 4" long.If you must the Tubbs final finish is the way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks guys I think I'll continue with the marathon cleanings and put another 100 rounds down the tube. Hopefully this may improve with more shooting. If it dosent then I can try fire lapping. After all it's only a factory barrel. I guess if it dosent work out it will be a good excuse for a custom job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well I put 40 rounds down range today. Cleaning every 10. (gun has about 260 shots todate.) I used 140 XLC only because thats what I had loaded.(probably a waste of time, there to soft to "work" the bore plus that useless blue crap) Shes soaking in CR-10 now.

Lessons learned; Never buy another box of barnes XLC's
more fouling more cleaning less shooting.

At one time I had this great idea that if I did a thorgho cleaning and then shot many rounds without cleaning. I would coat the bore with that blue crap and my fouling problem would be gone, not so. Accuracy just fell apart.

Are these bullets crap or did I just have a bad experience with them in this particular gun?

I guess it dosen't matter I'm through with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You had a bad experience with them. My 416 WBY put's the 400gr XLC's under .8 MOA and my sons 308 put's the 150 XLC under about .6 MOA. The 165 and 180 XLC's did not shoot well, nor did the 150 with anything I tried other than a stiff load of RL15. The 416 WBY works well with the 400gr at 2650 fps with 115gr RL22.

Alternate cleaning with JB Bore Paste (30-40 strokes or what have you) then Sweets 762, JB, Sweets etc. Usually the JB will take down the copper fouling real quickly by itself but if you feel better and think it's any quicker add in some Sweets to the process. My 300 Ultra barrel cleans up pretty darn easy now after about 500 rounds and multiple JB polishings.

Do yourself a favour and make sure you clean the chamber and bore well after using JB. John M. turned me onto using alcohol to get it spotless. Then I use a bit of solvent, dry patch, then oil up good followed by two dry patches.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.