Midway USA

i did the same thing I'm stocked up for at least the next 10-12 yrs all components.
yes ill proudly admit I'm one of the reasons most can't find supplies and i won't feel bad or lose sleep over it
but i also won't be on an internet forum crying about not being able to find supplies or complaining about the price when i do
Isn't it called free marketplace. Someone has something for sale and you want it so you buy it. I always try to stock up on a lot of things. I have 3 refrigerators and a chest freezer and a generator to run them if I don't have electricity. I don't want to go hungry or run out of ammo. I also keep my vehicles fueled and may have an extra can or 5 of gas. Does any of that make a hoarder. If so too bad. I just don't like running out of stuff and "plan" my budget accordingly.

Isn't it called free marketplace. Someone has something for sale and you want it so you buy it. I always try to stock up on a lot of things. I have 3 refrigerators and a chest freezer and a generator to run them if I don't have electricity. I don't want to go hungry or run out of ammo. I also keep my vehicles fueled and may have an extra can or 5 of gas. Does any of that make a hoarder. If so too bad. I just don't like running out of stuff and "plan" my budget accordingly.
Should we call it hoarding? No. Smart? Yes! Self sufficiency is an uncommon virtue these days it seems. Charity starts at home and avoiding becoming a burden on society is one form of Patriotism. Keep doing what you're doing. I will too.

Isn't it called free marketplace. Someone has something for sale and you want it so you buy it.
thats exactly what i did but some people cry about those of us that buy In bulk [saw this shortage coming a long time ago]
and blame us for not being able to find supplies or claim we are the reason prices haven'T COME DOWN

Does anyone know what is going on at Midway? For the last 3 days, they show that they are completely out of gunpowder. Did Larry sell his entire supply to some other retailer? They are not even showing black powder in stock!
Midway is in the process of moving to a new 400,000 SQ FT shipping facility and should be back to normal within a week or so.

Does anyone know what is going on at Midway? For the last 3 days, they show that they are completely out of gunpowder. Did Larry sell his entire supply to some other retailer? They are not even showing black powder in stock!
Long version from them:
Thanks to you, we've experienced tremendous growth in our business volume and number of products we offer. A couple of years ago, we projected we'd soon be out of space, so we started the largest project in company history. We're now in the final stages of moving our Distribution Center about 5-miles down the road to a new facility, just west of Columbia, MO.

Our new Distribution Center is 400,000 square feet, with plenty of room for expansion. The unique new NITRO Express® Shipping System we're installing consists of brand-new state-of-the-art equipment. This new system will be faster, more accurate and more efficient than our previous system.

The conveyor and product storage/retrieval speed will allow us to receive and ship products faster, meaning we'll get products in stock quicker and your orders will arrive sooner. Increased accuracy comes from precisely picking every order and verifying the correct weight with a high-tech scale to ensure no mistakes were made. Increased efficiency comes from custom building precisely sized cartons for each order, reducing the average box size by over 30%, meaning there is less room for products to shift in transit and become damaged. The remaining area (void) in the cartons is filled with one of three different types of materials, depending on the characteristics of each order, resulting in intact deliveries. We're building the best package possible – extremely accurate, efficient, and durable!

We'll be completely done with our inventory and operational transition in about 2-weeks. During that time, your order may take a few days longer than normal and we're sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

I hope you enjoy the results of our new NITRO Express® Shipping System. Thanks so much for being a valued MidwayUSA Customer!

Matt Fleming,
President & CEO

^ explains it.

I am an old IT guy & marvel at the exent & reliability of the Midway site. A huge variety of items, all easily located. Periodic free shipping $49 and over with some items shipped free. Returns easily done. Choice of shipping. All good business in a competitive world. Larry has helped me keep shooting during the current component emergency. Other sites have helped me also. I like Powder Valley and its Captcha feature upon log in.

Larry's email indicates some effort will be made to make shipping more efficient. Like avoiding use of a 192 cubic inch box to ship an item that will easily fit inside a 36 cubic inch box. The nice USPS carrier can fit smaller boxes inside my community cluster mail box. The UPS truck picking up Larry's items can drive away with 500 or so items vs 100 items. Items will not gain sliding momentum inside boxes and get bashed up.

I bought a 17.0 cubic inch box of bullets from Cabello's that was shipped in a 215.625 cubic inch box. The box containing the 1.243 pound box of bullets was marked, "HEAVY". All this indicates established waste. The 1.243 bullet box required wads of paper packing to retrict sliding momentum - more waste. Added shipping costs were probably added to price paid.

Probably will keep buying from Larry's Midway.

Larry Potterfield:

Last edited:
^ explains it.

I am an old IT guy & marvel at the exent & reliability of the Midway site. A huge variety of items, all easily located. Periodic free shipping $49 and over with some items shipped free. Returns easily done. Choice of shipping. All good business in a competitive world. Larry has helped me keep shooting during the current component emergency. Other sites have helped me also. I like Powder Valley and its Captcha feature upon log in.

Larry's email indicates some effort will be made to make shipping more efficient. Like avoiding use of a 192 cubic inch box to ship an item that will easily fit inside a 36 cubic inch box. The nice USPS carrier can fit smaller boxes inside my community cluster mail box. The UPS truck picking up Larry's items can drive away with 500 or so items vs 100 items. Items will not gain sliding momentum inside boxes and get bashed up.

I bought a 17.0 cubic inch box of bullets from Cabello's that was shipped in a 215.625 cubic inch box. The box containing the 1.243 pound box of bullets was marked, "HEAVY". All this indicates established waste. The 1.243 bullet box required wads of paper packing to retrict sliding momentum - more waste. Added shipping costs were probably added to price paid.

Probably will keep buying from Midway.
feb 24 2021 the board promoted matt to president and ceo affective immediately

MidwayUSA founder, the former CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors, Larry Potterfield, relinquished his role as CEO
larry is no longer hands day to day operations

No one is calling for government (or any other group) to implement price controls. Most people are going to vote with their wallets at some point. Our hobby is under attack constantly and the last thing we need or want are contrarian folks stirring the pot. Stop preening and lecturing us. We'll be fine without you critique of our spending habits or other life lessons. Major attitude adjustment wouldn't hurt.

Replacement trimmer arrived today shipped in the same plastic bag, I'm getting my money back. Like so many of you Nobel people have said, if you don't like them, don't shop there, I'll take your advice EF06BB71-A50F-4C18-94DA-3F669985C24D.jpegCE133292-2988-46D6-A53A-34C01793FB84.jpeg501C2DAB-C30C-41D2-AC1D-F6B2770CB201.jpeg

August 2008 I had a funny feeling in my gut that things would be soon changing. Haven't needed anything since. Good luck to all in the hunt.

I ran into Larry's son in the Kigosi Reserve in Western Tanzania; at the time he was running Battenfeld, a company that had just bought. I remember his son telling me "Aren't we blessed to be able to do this?" I remember thinking "Some of us are more blessed than others!"

Six years before that hunt I shared a camp in the Selous Reserve in Tanzania with Henry Mills, the founder of Mills Fleet Farm (if you live in Wisconsin you know the brand). Nicest man you would ever want to meet. I will never forget the night he was at the campfire on a sat phone. When he hung up he looked dejected. I asked what was wrong. He said he had been talking with his son and was trying to get him to come over and hunt but his son said he was too busy supervising some new supply chain software. I told him "Well, at least you have someone watching the business while you hunt."

I will never forget what happened next. He looked me right in the eye and said,"John, I don't know how more hunts I have left in me. I really wanted my son with me on this one."

Henry, or Hank as he liked to be called, died Jan 14, 2016, nine days after he sold MFF to KKR for over a billion. I last saw him when I stopped by his corporate office in Appleton a few years after our hunt.

Last edited:
Are we allowed to go on a midway rant at this point? If so, I'm second in line after reelamin
Only if you add the slower than molasses in January shipping, and the surprising number of products either made in china or viet name. Worthless, from either source. I have already sent one cleaning rod back because of "made in china".

Nobody has powder. I was lucky to find some IMR4895 locally. As soon as anyone gets any popular powder on the shelf, the hoarders go after it and it disappears. If everyone would stop this stupid hoarding crap, us normal users would be able to get some. Then some of these jokers turn around and list it on GB for $90/lb.