Maximum case length.

Well because I didnt have a guage here I made one like 224winxb sugested. I got the same numbers checking a couple times + or - A COUPLE 1000. Looks like my chamber is 2.655 to the boltface so Ill have to load them a few times to reach that.

Glad you checked now aren't you. No longer in the dark on how long to make them. You will probably check all your rifles now. As was stated before watch for that carbon ring. It builds up faster if your brass is short. Any good carbon cleaner left in the neck on a wet patch will usually get it out. One caliber up size brush twisted in the neck helps too. Good job on making the tool you needed.
Shep

Well because I didnt have a guage here I made one like 224winxb sugested. I got the same numbers checking a couple times + or - A COUPLE 1000. Looks like my chamber is 2.655 to the boltface so Ill have to load them a few times to reach that.

you did measure , and that takes all the guess work out of it .

SO? I suggest you make an attempt to determine the length of the chamber from the end of the neck to the bolt face. there has to be something wrong with my method and or technique because no one does it. I would take a longer case like the 300 Weatherby and form the case to 7mm300 Win Mag. I am lucky because I can not move the shoulder back meaning all of that extra case/brass has to go out the front. when that happens the newly formed case neck gets longer, when I want to know the length of the chamber I start trimming the neck of the newly formed case until it chambers without turning the mouth of the case in to a crimp.

F. Guffey

I do something similar, for example forming 6 creed from 243 or 25-06 from 270. I trim a case 30 to 40 thou short and use it to find the exact headspace. Then I take an untrimmed case and bump it .010 shorter headspace and start trimming it .005 at a time, insert it in the chamber and GENTLY try to close the bolt. Once the bolt closes I use that number as the chamber max OAL. I trim .010 shorter than this number. For example my 25-06 closes on a case @ 2.515", I trim to 2.505". Common trim length is 2.484 or .031" shorter than my chamber.

I have several of the Sinclair gauges on order. But the ONE diameter that I have most chambering sin is back ordered (6.5mm). I have the entire order on hold for complete so I may have to try the home brew method instead.

Thanks to the member that posted that up.

I do something similar, for example forming 6 creed from 243 or 25-06 from 270. I trim a case 30 to 40 thou short and use it to find the exact headspace. Then I take an untrimmed case and bump it .010 shorter headspace and start trimming it .005 at a time, insert it in the chamber and GENTLY try to close the bolt. Once the bolt closes I use that number as the chamber max OAL. I trim .010 shorter than this number. For example my 25-06 closes on a case @ 2.515", I trim to 2.505". Common trim length is 2.484 or .031" shorter than my chamber.

Length of the chamber; that would be the distance from the datum/shoulder to the bolt face and then there is the length of the chamber from the end of the chamber neck to the bolt face. When determining the length of the chamber from the end of the neck to the bolt face I eliminate the length of the chamber from the datum/shoulder to the bolt face.

I can not move the shoulder back on a case with any type of die that has case body support.; so I use a forming die, the shoulder I start with is not the same shoulder I finish with but the plan is to get the shoulder out of the case out of the way. Meaning I do not care if I shorten the length of the case .100" or .200".

So I would start with a 280 Remington case by shortening the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head with a forming die, again, I can not move the shoulder of the case, the shoulder I finish with is not the same shoulder I started with.

When I form the 280 Remington case the neck gets longer, one day I was showing off, when finished I had a 280 Remington case with a .300" neck length from the shoulder/neck juncture to the end of the neck and the the case body was short.

I could say something like 'think about it' but that has never worked on another forum. If I was able to move the shoulder back the case body would be wadded up below the forming die. Again, the shoulder I start with is not the same shoulder I finish with. It is the same for all reloaders; problem, they do not know it.

With the long neck/short body case I trim the length of the neck to the point it is too long. When determining the length of the chamber from the end of the neck to the bolt face I start trimming and trying to close the bolt on the case. I could attempt to close the bolt on the long neck by closing the bolt, The end of the chamber and beginning of the throat will sized the neck down. After that it becomes one of those 'and then' moment, and then trim the neck at the reduced diameter, measure and then try again.

When working with 30/06 cases I run 20 of them through the forming die. When necking 30/06 cases up to 35 Whelen I neck up 200 cases.

F. Guffey

Glad you checked now aren't you. No longer in the dark on how long to make them. You will probably check all your rifles now. As was stated before watch for that carbon ring. It builds up faster if your brass is short. Any good carbon cleaner left in the neck on a wet patch will usually get it out. One caliber up size brush twisted in the neck helps too. Good job on making the tool you needed.
Shep
Verry happy I checked. My brass is at about

Ok, heres where I'm really gonna sound stupid but I ' rather sound stupid than not know.
What do you mean when you say trim till it' too long? To me trimming means makeing it shorter.
Thanks
Mike

Guffey says he makes a brass too long and the trims small increments till it closes in the action with no resistance. I may have read it wrong and I'm sure he will chime in. But you did it the way most guys use. When your brass gets longer just keep it .010 short and your good.
Shep

What do you mean when you say trim till it' too long?
Something like- Fl size a 30-06 in a 308 die. This make a very long neck. Trim the neck down till the case chambers.

But the Mr Guffey method doesnt have a bullet keeping the neck OD from being sized smaller by the chamber.

Got to have the bullet.

With the camming force of the action you would be hard pressed to feel the neck hitting that 45 degree angle at end of chamber. It's far simpler to just make the case tool.

With the camming force of the action you would be hard pressed to feel the neck hitting that 45 degree angle at end of chamber. It's far simpler to just make the case tool.

There is a distinct difference when the case is short enough for the bolt to easily close. From that case length an additional .010 is subtracted for trim length. I have used an optical comparator to match chamber castings to a max length case I made. It works well.

But the Mr Guffey method doesn't have a bullet keeping the neck OD from being sized smaller by the chamber.

I would hate myself If I tried to make myself look good at others expense.

Again, I use short forming dies, all I am interested in is the long neck. If I used a bullet the diameter of the case neck would increase in diameter. I did not think I would have to explain why I do not use bullets, but here I go again. the long neck allows me to use the bolt to size the case neck to the throat. I had no ideal 243winxb did not know the end of the neck in the chamber was tapered. Close the bolt., size the neck.

If the bolt closes extract the case and then trim the case back to the beginning of of the large diameter.

If you do not have the ability to close the bolt on the case; not a problem for a very few. I do believe the problem with the bolt is confusing for all reloaders; when the bolt does not close I eject the case, measure the bolt protrusion from the rear of the receiver with the bolt closed and then; I open the bolt, chamber the tuff old case and start to close the bolt again until it stops (another and then moment) when the bolt stops I measure the bolt protrusion from the receiver and then it becomes a wa-la moment. I subtract the bolt protrusion number from the protrusion of the bolt with the case chambered determine how much case to trim.

F. Guffey

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.