Case trim length

I roll crimp for my AK and SKS, for the 123 grain Hornady "Zombie Max" bullets, which are about to come in very handy!

Since I started using my Frankford Arsenal Trim and Press Center my case prep goes like this:
Full length resize
Trim to minimum length
chamfer
deburr
clean primer pockets
run brass through tumbler
I was always curious as to how much room there was in the chamber for the case necks to grow.A case cut to length,chambered and bore scoped showed me I probably would wear the case out before I reach the max chamber length.I'll still trim each time because it's so easy for me using the Frankford and just to keep things uniform.Here is a picture of the chambered brass.As you can see,plenty of room to grow.View attachment 182351

What bore scope do you use? That's a great picture.

When I take the time to trim, I trim back to min. That said, one of the attributes of many of the highly accurate cartridges is a long neck. Im not sure that the difference between trimming partially and trimming fully (.005-.010") is going to be a huge accuracy contributor, but I'm sure the benchrest guys might argue that point.
As long as you always trim them to the same lenght it doesntr matter much.Except by trimming back to theminimum you give up a bit of the long neck accuraccy. Since I trim after each firing I trim to about 85% of maximum neck length.

I set up and determine what the case length is going to be. After each firing. I clear up my cases, anneal, size, and re-set the length. That being a Gen-3 for cutting the case length. That way they are all the same length all the time. This changes I make this last year. I done a lot of reading about case length. Better to have them all the same length all the time. All the case prep helps in getting better loads. More constant loads. It all goes back to what you want out of your reloads. Under 500 yds it probable doesn't make that much difference. There is so much here at Long Range Hunting to read about and go over and over. 🤣 I did fine for years, but I held my shots to about 500yds. Let my scope tell me what the range was. I knew my rifle and what it would do. I didn't use a range finder until I change to a bow. There you better know what it really is. A few yards can make a big different. I have a wildcat rifle that I am going to the field next year for P. dogs. I am looking ranges of 600 to 800 yards. probable not shoot under 400 yds. It wouldn't be fair. I'll have a grandson to do the close work. 😍

I set up and determine what the case length is going to be. After each firing. I clear up my cases, anneal, size, and re-set the length. That being a Gen-3 for cutting the case length. That way they are all the same length all the time. This changes I make this last year. I done a lot of reading about case length. Better to have them all the same length all the time. All the case prep helps in getting better loads. More constant loads. It all goes back to what you want out of your reloads. Under 500 yds it probable doesn't make that much difference. There is so much here at Long Range Hunting to read about and go over and over. 🤣 I did fine for years, but I held my shots to about 500yds. Let my scope tell me what the range was. I knew my rifle and what it would do. I didn't use a range finder until I change to a bow. There you better know what it really is. A few yards can make a big different. I have a wildcat rifle that I am going to the field next year for P. dogs. I am looking ranges of 600 to 800 yards. probable not shoot under 400 yds. It wouldn't be fair. I'll have a grandson to do the close work. 😍
I set my Guraud trimmer up and all my 375 Cheytac get trimmed to to 3.0275.

I trim to .003" less than chamber length. When I started reloading at 13 years of age with my Dad I trimmed to the recommended in the manuals. When I entered the military I took some of the 5.56 brass from the range to measure out chamber size and compare it to my 1976 Mini-14 fired brass. I thought military brass was crap, it was all over the place from 1.755" - 1.771". Then using the unit armorer's bore scope with a fired piece of brass in the chamber I saw that there was still a little bit of room in the neck for a little more neck length. It was a "lightbulb moment" for me, so now I trim my brass for the particular rifle it gets shot in, I let it grow until it needs trimming and it only gets trimmed a few thousands under. It does help keep the carbon fouling out of the neck area and it gives you more bullet grip for short necked rounds like the .223/5.56, .243, etc. SAAMI chamber dimension diagrams will give you an idea of what to expect.

Easiest method to determine trim length is with a gauge. Super simple and accurate. Once you understand the amount of room you have to work with, the only thing you need to be concerned with is your chambers max length and consistency in your trim. Most people could spend more time learning how to better control neck tension vs worrying about length but it's a game of sums.

Easiest method to determine trim length is with a gauge. Super simple and accurate. Once you understand the amount of room you have to work with, the only thing you need to be concerned with is your chambers max length and consistency in your trim. Most people could spend more time learning how to better control neck tension vs worrying about length but it's a game of sums.

Yep, they work great.

As long as you always trim them to the same lenght it doesntr matter much.Except by trimming back to theminimum you give up a bit of the long neck accuraccy. Since I trim after each firing I trim to about 85% of maximum neck length.
This is exactly how I think about it. If you measure and trim each reloading, I see no reason not trim just under max length.