maximum case length 3006

gohring3006

What do you guys consider too long on cases my manual says trim to 2.484 and my brass measures 2.49-2.50 is this to long to reload (30/06) or do you think I'm good on one more firing? It a factory rifle..

It should work if you aren't crimping. Case length becomes more critical if you are crimping because everything crimped is crimped on the case mouth so you want them all the same.
Starting out with new brass I trim everything to the same length and then might trim again around reload 5 or 6. If you can trim it to the spec'd length then do so.

Thanks. I sized and primed this brass before realizing I forgot to trim and my trimmer is a Lee that trims with a pilot that goes thru the primer flashole.

Don't trim till after it is resized. Resizing puts the case back to factory size and if you trim before hand you have trimmed a case out of spec which will then be even more out of spec when resized.

Don't trim till after it is resized. Resizing puts the case back to factory size and if you trim before hand you have trimmed a case out of spec which will then be even more out of spec when resized.
I always size and deprime then trim, deburr and then tumble and last I prime, charge and seat. But for some reason I primed this brass without trimming.

Watch for pressure if you are gonna shoot without trimming. Normally .015" is not to big of a worry but it can cause pressure if the bullet pinches the neck at the throat. Like Demon posted above, his chamber is short on neck length and he apparently has to trim short. It is just something to watch for and at worst you waste .03 worth of primers for every case that is long. I have thrown away primers to fix stuff just so that I was 100% positive. What I am saying is that the primers are cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.