Maximum case length.

After loading and shooting many thousands of rifle rounds, including my .284 AI, I always de-prime, clean, then full length resize, then trim my cases .010" under max length before I reload the first time. I've never once had a problem with this proceedure. But if you're talking about putting bullet nose into the barrel Lands, I always back-off .020-.030". This is critical on high pressure loads. Explosions can kill!

But if you're talking about putting bullet nose into the barrel Lands, I always back-off .020-.030". This is critical on high pressure loads. Explosions can kill!

I do not know what he is referring to but there was a time the reloader could make/order plugs that had two diameters, one diameter was the diameter of the bullet and the other diameter was the outside diameter of the the case neck. All the reloader had to do was shorten the case neck, insert a plug and then chamber the case with the plug, cambering the case seated the plug. I have never had a problem shortening the case from the shoulder to the case head and I understood I had to seat the plug long.

When seating the bullet I am the fan of bullet jump, I want my bullets to have that 'running start'. If I have a rifle that requires zero jump without a running start the rifle become a source for parts or project.

F. Guffey

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.