Made in the USA important to you?

I have found myself over the last couple years putting heavy emphasis on whether or not something is made in the US when making a decision to purchase something, especially firearms related. Its why I went with a versamax over an SBE 2 a few years ago. The most recent example was going with a VX6HD over an NX8 (made in Japan). I am not perfect at it and I also want something of quality and reliable. I didn't use to care and never even considered the country of origin, I am now in my late 30's and somewhere along the way it started to matter to me. Just curious if any of you out there take that into consideration when making purchases?
Yes I do take the country of origin /manufacture into consideration when purchasing most everything especially firearms and related products. Then performance and reliability and test results then price and value for money. I find that there has been major ground made by other countries in the quality of say optics which gives me more choice when choosing an item. But I generally stick to the brands that I know and trust.

Can't tell you how many items I've been asked my opinion on gear purchases. I'll recommend a Harris bipod for example to a guy making very good money. Weeks go by and ask him what he bought. "Oh found a great deal on brand x so bought it" Brand X is always offshore chinese crap. There is a reason that Walmart sales are so huge and it isn't because Americans want to buy American.

Not a 100% rule, but I always hear "great deal, money goes further, just as good, etc". Heck look at the dozen new chinese optics brands. It's kind of like buying a bunch of stuff made by Nazi Germany in the late 1930s. I'll never understand it.

Not a 100% rule, but I always hear "great deal, money goes further, just as good, etc". Heck look at the dozen new chinese optics brands. It's kind of like buying a bunch of stuff made by Nazi Germany in the late 1930s. I'll never understand it.
I'm going to have to derail this thread for a couple posts. What were some of these shoddy products?
Because there were some things made In Germany in the late 30's that put some serious hurt on a whole continent for 5 yrs. And if an ego had not perpetuated a big blunder, that 5 yrs would have turned into a long time.

I'd have ask him what brand the bipod was that the legs quit locking on, but honestly I don't really care. My more expensive Harris bipods keep working.

My American made backpack, sleeping bag, quilts, outfitters tent, stoves, and scopes keep working just fine. Cost me a little more, but good by me.

If you think funding china with chinese made purchases when viable American choices are available is just fine, that is great. I would disagree.

No right or wrong answer here. Two scenarios:

1. Made in American product, proven company, product x costs $1500.
2. Made in China product, lifetime warranty, new company, product x costs $1000.

How much price difference before Made in USA matters less? Just a few rambling thoughts. And in the end, the free market should decide. I am just sensitive to the very high cost of regulation, healthcare, and manufacturing here and how it puts our products at a disadvantage.

No right or wrong answer here. Two scenarios:

1. Made in American product, proven company, product x costs $1500.
2. Made in China product, lifetime warranty, new company, product x costs $1000.

How much price difference before Made in USA matters less? Just a few rambling thoughts. And in the end, the free market should decide. I am just sensitive to the very high cost of regulation, healthcare, and manufacturing here and how it puts our products at a disadvantage.
Looks like I spend 1500.00!

Simple fact, USA companies are hamstrung by USA policy! Hard to complete with other countries with all our restrictions. Not saying they are all bad, allot of good, just make it more expensive to do business. People don't think at all anymore they want things banned here but gladly buy products from other countries using same banned substances or practices. When you buy USA money stay here supporting our people and the best country in the world!

Good post and gets one thinking.
I mainly try to buy American goods and it is a personal choice we all make, sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Now all my firearms are US made - rifles, handguns and shotguns with the exception of one Turkish over/under 12ga.
My scopes are all Leupold and in all the years (20-30+ years) I had them never once did they fail - maybe I got lucky.

looking for a good wool shirt and found one on a site it stated made in China cost 99.00 then below it said made in America 149.95 same weight etc why should I buy it here? but I did

Good post and gets one thinking.
I mainly try to buy American goods and it is a personal choice we all make, sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Now all my firearms are US made - rifles, handguns and shotguns with the exception of one Turkish over/under 12ga.
My scopes are all Leupold and in all the years (20-30+ years) I had them never once did they fail - maybe I got lucky.
No such thing as luck! I have at least 20 Leupold scopes and had to send one new one back as it had a particle inside the lens. I own one Steiner and one Swarovski also. Sometimes you get something in a trade or used.

Sorry Guy but permanent normal trade relations was granted to China in 2000. I believe former President Nixon was dead by then. Recall Nixon got us out of LBJ's FUBARD Vietnam war and got the POWs home.

Nothing to be sorry for, your post is accurate but you're still denying Nixon's own words from 92, if you read my second post. I am a bit amazed at how many got butt hurt over a comment on a crook, whose actions are relevant to this discussion. Different kind of PC I suppose. Almost everything is these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts