Lyman 1200 DPS

I have one. Well should say my dad owns one. I rarely use it as I dont load up more then batches of about 50 rounds at a time. By the time that **** lyman warms up in 30 minutes, I'm more then halfway done on my balance beam scale. only time I've used it was when I sat down and loaded around 600 round for my 222 when I went PD shooting. It worked just fine. My dad uses it a lot more then I do w/out any problems. He loves just being able to push a button and the powder comes out. Seems to be pretty accurate and consistent, never had a problem there.

I've got one, its great. I let it warm up while I prime my brass and get everything set up. The trick is to scoop under weight into the pan so it speeds the process up.
I'll never go back to pendulum type scales- too hard on the eyes!

Got one of the first ones out. It works but can be real fikkle at times=It helps to let it warm up and keep it off the reloading bench.Mine got used a lot when I had the BMGs but now use it only for working up loads,the Dillon takes over from there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Had one but sold it an bought a RCBS Chargemaster. The RCBS is faster, easier to clean and less finicky!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on the chargemaster. I bought the new gen and it's crazy fast no warmup and more accurate than I could ever be.

[ QUOTE ]
When precision is concerned is speed that crucial??

[/ QUOTE ]

When the precision is there than why not have the speed? It's as accurate as my 5-0-5 scale. Is there anything more accurate than a beam scale? I think not. So if its that accurate and it is then why not?

No pun intended, the only time in loading I try to go fast is with shotgun shells. Are others concerned with speed in loading rifle cartridges?

I understand your thoughts on precision. I like to be as precise as possible, especially w/ $25.00 berger vld's. I'm just stating that this machine takes one complete precision step out of the equation and automates it for you. Most of my time spent on reloading is setting up dies, case prep and measuring overall length and such.

I've had a DPS 1200 for about 2 years now. The 30min warmup is a pain, but by the time I have all my other stuff set up and ready to go it's done. My only complaint is the way you have to remove the trickler tube in order to clean it. Other than that I'm satisfied. Although, to speed it up for large charge wt. i'll use a powder measure to through 95grs then dump it into the pan and have it put the final 7gr in itself. For 20-60gr loads I typicaly let it do it all by itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.