New Lyman 1200 DPS scale problems

Sandman

I am quickly losing faith in this brand new scale. A few examples:

1. Weighed 1 brass and readout kept bouncing between 171.1 and 172.0. Scale seemed to settle down and I weighed about 20 more brass until the scale beeped and indicated it needed recalibration. Recalibrated per instructons. Now the same brass already weighed and sorted are weighing from .1 to .3 grains different.
2. Last night, I weighed a single brass and over a period of about an hour, it weighed various weights ranging from 171.0 to 172.6. Scale never indicated it needed to be recalibrated. (brass weighs 172.2 on beam scale.

Have followed instructions for set up, including warm-up and calibration. No air currents and no known voltage issues. Sitting on flat stable kitchen table.

Any ideas from you guys that own and use Lyman 1200 DPS scales?

Thanks!

My old beam scale has never done that.
grin.gif

The electronics in these scales as well as others can be adversely affected by cell phones and things plugged into the same wall socket such as a radio.In addition if you have a fan or heater running they will vary all over the place.
Lynn

I don't use my L 1200 to weigh things but rather as a powder dispenser. When dispensing, I then dump the dispensed charge into a second electronic scale (the new Hornady one) as a double check.

I have the same model and have never experienced the problems you are discovering. I think its one of the greatest tools on my bench. It is really accurate. I shut my windows and make sure nothing else is plugged in the reloading room though when I'm using the dispenser. Lyman has good customer service, if it continues, I would let them know about it and see what they do.

I'd demand a replacement today! Lyman makes good products. Sounds like you got a lemon. One thing's for sure, if you get a replacement and have the same problems, you'll know that you have interferrence. If it works fine, problem solved. Good luck.

I think you may just have a lemon also. Another thing I've heard is that fluorecent lights can effect digital scales, if you are set up within 4 feet of a fluorecent light that may be your problem

Thanks for the feedback. I called Lyman and they also said the problems I was experiencing were not normal. The scale was returned last week to Lyman.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.