LR Scope on a budget

varmiterguy

Hi folks. Please bear with me as this is my first ever post anywhere. Am in the process of getting everything needed to put a poor man's LR rifle together (1000 yds. Max). The rifle it s a Remington 700 Sindero in 300 Win. Mag with Jewel trigger. I have a very strict $1500 bubget for a scope to top it with. Am considering a Leupold VX 6 3x18x50mm with aCDS custom turret. Before I order a scope I really need some input, thoughts and experienced advice. am not dead set on any scope though until I can get time opinions from some of you experts. "Thanks" folks for any and all input.

Don't be afraid to stick that VX-6 on there, I just put a 3x18x44
on my Cooper 7MM, and love it, shooting out to those distances also!

Agree on the used NF unless you have a weight requirement.
Also.. do some research on Bushnell LRHS. There is a 3-12 and 4-18 models. Excellent scopes.. much lower profile than say an NXS.
The vx6's are nice, I just didn't like the mushy turrets.

I have a VX 6 in 3 x 18 44 with the TMOA reticle and really like it so far. I also have NF NXS and like it a bunch also. I have Vortex too, however I would not recommend due to less than adequate glass.

Another vote for used NightForce. I got my NXS NP-R1 3.5x15x50, EGW HD base with 20 moa, Holland scope level and Seekins rings for about that amount. The scope was used but in mint condition, the rest I bought new.

All good suggestions, if packing i would go for the lighter options.I have a mark 4 that been happy with.I also run a March and find that it is hard to use in the past 20x powers,things have to be just right,I dial it down for the hunting shot.

I am running a VX6 3-18x50mm with the TMOA retical on my custom 338 RUM. I've really run this scope through the paces and am very happy with it. The glass is not as good as it is on my ATACR, but it blows the ATACR away when it comes to weight and cost. since you said cost is such a big factor you should look at a vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS LR or Viper HS-T. Glass is not as good as the VX6 but I think it gets the job done out to 1000 yards on a tight budget.

I have a VX-6 4-24X52. It weighs 22 ounces. In side by side comparison is has better glass than my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and a friends Swarovski z6 3-18X.

I haven't fallen on it so I don't know how tough it is. So far it has handled recoil of a couple hundred rounds from an eight pound (including scope) 6.5mm that is 6% larger than a Nosler 26.

If you have $1,500 to spend on glass, I'd use every penny of it on glass. I've had a couple of Vortex Viper PS-Ts in the past and they are well under your budget ($800+/-). They are fairly good scopes and will certainly do what you want them to do. That being said, as others have mentioned, you are right in the used Nightforce ballpark and that's exactly what I'd do. My PSTs have been replaced with NFs and I've never once been disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.