Looking to build a .308

Cstav85

I am looking in to getting into long range shooting. I was wanting to custom build a 308 with my grandpa. What would be the best parts to use to make it be precise at long range? 500 yards or more. Not trying to go too crazy with the budget
Any advice could help

I am looking in to getting into long range shooting. I was wanting to custom build a 308 with my grandpa. What would be the best parts to use to make it be precise at long range? 500 yards or more. Not trying to go too crazy with the budget
Any advice could help

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I always start with a realistic budget, i.e $1000 for rifle only! The more information you can provide the better, esp when you are wide open for suggestion(s). Be prepared for an overwhelming responses/recommendations.

Having said that, Savage actions are hard to bet when it comes to DIY.

Just to get you started and thinking, here's http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

Good luck!

Corey, welcome to LRH. I am with FEENIX on this (big Savage fan).Check out the Savage model 10 fv in .308 at Cabela's, it would get you started at an attractive price. There is always the option of buying an old donor rifle and strip it down and build off the action.

Don Dunlap

If you haven't already purchased a rifle I have a Remington 700 police .308. Never been fired. With a long range scope. I'm looking to sell.
Welcome to the forum!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.