looking to build a gun

wbgnt

ok to start out what caliber? does everyone suggest i have a 308 already looking for something bigger for longer range for elk and deer. Then what action is the best to start out with this will be my first build maybe i'm over my head here but i atleast want to try and i'm trying not to spent a ton of money just thought someone could give me some pointer to get me started. thanks nate

Ok, depending on the price tage we got here. I would go with a 300rum in a sendero or a pss and then just glass bed it then either tune the trigger or get a jewel. Also have a brake put on it. makes it alot more fun.

You could also go with a savage. Im not a big fan but will admit that they normally shoot pretty good.

Third option for me would be to get either a custom action or have a 700 trued up by a good smith. look at his work. If his sakos are put in crooked and what not, he probablly isnt who I would want working on something im dropping a couple thousand on. Then get a good barrel. A krieger 10 twist should work fine for the 200-220 gr. range bullet. I would also look at getting a jewel and of course having it bedded and what not. this will set you back a penny or two though but would be the greatest way to make sure that it should shoot. if you have any questions just send me a pm.

For the sake of simplicity I'm not even going to put the all mighty dollar into this equation. So if I were to build a long range deer/elk rig this is how I would do it:

Action: Lawton 7000
Barrel: Lawton barrel chambered in 7mm Ultra Mag (You pick contour)
Trigger: Jewell
Bottom Metal: Standard Remington
Stock: Manner (You pick the flavor)
Base: Lawton again
Rings: Either TPS or Seekins (steel rings of course)
Optics: Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50 LR MD

This would make an ideal setup for deer or elk at extended ranges. However if you ever intend to dangerous or larger game I would build the same rig in a 338 caliber. I simply don't want to try taking down anything like Grizzly with a 7mm bullet (it pains me to say that, I really love 7mm).

not to stepp on feet but i would rather have a trued remington than a non trued up lawton. ive only dealt with one but it was enough for me after i had to go through and fix it anyways. recoil surfaces needed recut along with a few other things to get it true. but then again it was only one and every company has its lemon.

would it cost me less money to buy a rem sps in 300 rum and put a custom barrel and have the action trued and have a muzzle brake put on it. if i go that route what twist and what barrels are the best to use i have been looking and im not sure what one is the best to use. or would the savage route be about the same. what does everyone suggest i just want to know what everyone thinks.

just for laughs what do you think that setup would run me and why 7mm just wondering

I couldn't give you exact figures but I'm have a similar setup done on a 338 lapua I'm having built. The only differences are the action is the 8500 (it is made for larger calibers) and the caliber of course. My total cost including optics will be around $4000. As for the 7mm part. I love 7mm, you get a better selection of high BC bullets. For example Berger has a 180 grain Thick jacket VLD out with a BC of .684. These make some outstanding elk bullets.

screech said:
not to stepp on feet but i would rather have a trued remington than a non trued up lawton. ive only dealt with one but it was enough for me after i had to go through and fix it anyways. recoil surfaces needed recut along with a few other things to get it true. but then again it was only one and every company has its lemon.

No feelings hurt here. But from what lawton has told me my action will be trued prior to leaving him. But then again I'm basically buying a complete barreled action w/ brake then having it sent to my smith for completion of the rifle.

Longshot gave you the Cadillac option, I'll give you the Buick option....

Start with a Remington SPS. They come in various 7mm and 30 caliber magnums.

1. Choose a good scope and mounts.

Take the rifle out and shoot it. If it shoots, great. If not, continue working.

2. Float the barrel and get a decent stock like HS Precision or Bell and Carlson.

3. Trigger Job - have the factory trigger tuned to somewhere between 2 and 3 pounds.

Shoot the rifle. If it'll shoot, great. If not, continue working....

4. Send the rifle off to a good smith and have a custom barrel installed and have the action trued up. I chose Hart Rifle Barrels in New York (Hart Rifle Barrels). They turn their own barrels, chamber, install and true your action for a reasonable price.

Shoot the rifle. It'll shoot now.

Costs:
Rifle: $500
Scope and Mounts: $500+
Stock: $150 - $300
Trigger Job: $65
Barrel and action job: $600

Total ~ $1900

I am doing the same thing 280fan sugested. I got a rem 700 action a brux barrel and a new take off stock from a member here. My smith has it now so I am just paying for the machine work and a few small parts when its all said and done it will cost me around 1900 just like 280fan said and I will have a coustom shooter.

this year was also my first year with custom rifles and long range shooting I will give you my 2cents and what I wish I would have done different.

talking from experience here, I tried building guns for a price also. Problem what I wanted and what I bought weren't the same. I settled, big mistake. Get what you want!!!! Save the money and build what you want you will be happier in the long run.

You can't find out what you want without handling it and maybe even shooting it. I am lucky I live within 30 miles of my gunsmith and friend 308 nate. A knowledgeable friend or smith who will be building the rifle is a big plus.

You can build a full custom with NF scope for about $4200. I choose to have a couple of good rifles rather than a bunch of ok ones. Calibers I like 7wsm and 6X47lapua.

I have had my smith build off of a remington action,lawton action, savage target action, and pheonix action. For the money I would build off the pheonix for what you are getting. A remingtion action cost me 400 to true 150 flute the bolt 65, and install a sako extractor for 110 you are up to 725. A pheonix I can get for 750 with a custom handle, fluting, acc fire pin, and sako extractor ,tolerances are better and I think they are built better. Not to mention it is a custom action and if for some reason you would sell it I think you might get a few more bucks out of it. I am not pushing a pheonix action I am trying to tell you in a couple of months you will be able to tell the difference from what you learn out on the range and from these people. Spend the money now so you don't spend even more later.

Brent

Last edited:
Heres what I would..and plan on..doing

Savage action from used donor rifle: $300 max

Stockade Stock: +/- $350

SSS Recoil Lug and trigger $130

Pac-Nor Select Match Barrel +/- $400

Add an EGW 20MOA base, Burris XTR Rings and A Luepold VX-III with M1 knobs or Mk4 or possibly one of the to be released next year Vortex Tactical models and spend the leftover cash on powder and bullets!

First question is and it is very relevant----what is your top budget number for the rifle only? This will determine what the next steps are with respect to components and even the smith.

im only looking to spend about 1000 on the rifle and im not sure about the scope and i dont know if that is even possible to do

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts