looking to build a gun

SInce I have done this a number of times from Caddy to volkswagen bettle I will say that Savage has dominated my thinking the past several years.

Single shot Benchrest action: $435. including match Accutrigger- definitely not the same as the hunter trigger.
$ 300.-$450. barrel of your choice already chambered threaded,crowned and ready for installation.

You can elliminated the gunsmith here if you wish as pretty much anyone can install their own barrel on a go gauge and tighten the barrel nut down.

If not then pay a good smith $75. to do it for you.

Stock of your choice and there are lots. $250.- $300.

I just purchased a one holer 300 Mag complete rifle made by Savage/ Stevens: Savage has the Accutrigger, Stevens has the redefined Savage non-accutrigger which breaks at 3 pounds for $274. SOld the barrel for $75. Trued the action. SO now I have a true solid action for $200. to put any barrel I wish on . gunbroker.com is where I purchased it brand new several months ago.

Just another option.

Neal

Here is a link to an article from one of the writers on this website.

- Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

Your $1,000 limit is probably dueable with a savage. Used savages with the accutrigger go for around $300-350 dollars, a Shilen Match grade barrel is approx $250, I just saw a bushnell 4200 elite 4-16 for $299 at Sporstsmans Warehouse. The link below sells the shilen barrel ready to drop in including target crown. You can also get up to a 28 inch barrel for an additional $20.

This page was last updated on

That only leaves around $150 for a stock so your choices there are quite limited.

Here is a link to an article from one of the writers on this website.

- Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

Your $1,000 limit is probably dueable with a savage. Used savages with the accutrigger go for around $300-350 dollars, a Shilen Match grade barrel is approx $250, I just saw a bushnell 4200 elite 4-16 for $299 at Sporstsmans Warehouse. The link below sells the shilen barrel ready to drop in including target crown. You can also get up to a 28 inch barrel for an additional $20.

This page was last updated on

That only leaves around $150 for a stock so your choices there are quite limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.