Looking for ideas on a budget minded light scope

codyadams

Looking for a scope to put on a lighter build I'm putting together. I don't need anything fancy, I would be fine with a 1" tube, though I'm not opposed to a 30mm. I don't need high magnification either, I have pretty decent eyes, so anything with a max magnification of 10x-16x would be fine. I do however prefer to dial my elevation for shots, so a resetable zero turret would be preferred, and good tracking. Capped or exposed turrets don't matter much, though if they are exposed I would want a zero stop, which usually comes with a higher price tag. I have shots out to about 1000+ or -, so would want 25-30 or so usable MOA up, so 50 MOA or more total adjustment preferably. And I would prefer variable magnification, I hunt in thick timber at times so a strait 10x would be challenging. So to summarize....

-Max magnification 10x-16x
-If capped turrets, zero resetable
-If exposed turrets, zero stop
-1" or 30mm, doesn't matter
-50 MOA or more total adjustment
-Sub 20 oz
-Sub $400

I know this isn't going to be top end glass, But I don't need it. Maybe eventually I will be able to afford better, but not at this time. So, what's your ideas?

At one time I had an old VariXIII Police Tactical or something like that. 3.5-10x50 duplex ret, 1 inch tube, but target adjustable knobs with front A/O. I think you could still find one every once in awhile for 350-400 bucks. I always thought that was brighter and more clear than my VariXIII 4.5-14 LR Tactical which is supposed to have the same glass as Mk4's.

Look at the Vortex Diamondback tacticals.
My only issue with those is they don't have caps and you can't fashion a zero stop like you can with scopes like the sightron siii, the turret doesnt rise and drop as you adjust it, it stays in place and the inner workings move. I would be worried about it getting bumped off zero a significant amount as my rifle may ride in a pack or scabbard for many miles.

There are a couple of used 2.5-16 Bushnell Elites on SWFA's sample list. But they are $450-499. They might have a active duty or veteran discount.

Has anyone used the Bushnell engage 4-16x44's? All the reviews and videos of them seem promising. They have locking turrets, 100 MOA of elevation adjustment, weighs 20 oz, and are under $400....

Last edited:
I was going to suggest the Tract Toric 3-15x42, as it covers almost all criteria. It even comes with both covered turrets with an adjustable zero, plus included in the box is an exposed elevation turret kit with zero stop. But it's a few hundred dollars too much.

You might look at the Tract Turion or the Maven Optics RS.2.

The sightron stac 3-16 was mentioned, one of my favorite pieces of glass. You could also look into the sightron s-tac 2-10. It's a 30mm tube with covered low turrets. Indexed turrets can be set to zero. I really like mine on my light 7mm08 that does timber hikes into occasional intermediate shots. Not sure if it's 50 MOA adjustable, but probably pretty close.

So I have the ability to get good deals on the following scopes, and wondering which would be better.

Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42
Bushnell Engage 4-16x44
Bushnell Engage 3-12x42

I can get any of them for really good prices. Here are some basic specs of them:

S-TAC 3-16x42 -
23.5 oz
70 MOA total travel
MOA reticle
30mm tube
Tall capped turrets, with the ability to use shims for a homemade zero stop (similar to the first gen vortex pst scopes)
Link-
https://sightronusa.com/product/s-tac3-16x42moa/

Bushnell Engage 4-16x44 -
20.1 oz
100 MOA total travel
MOA reticle
30mm tube
Tall exposed locking turrets
Link-
https://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/engage/engage-riflescopes-4-16x44/

Bushnell Engage 3-12x42
19.5 oz
100 MOA total travel
MOA reticle
30mm tube
Tall exposed locking turrets
Link-
https://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/engage/engage-riflescopes-3-12x42/

So the Bushnell's are both lighter and have a nicer turret set up, but I would be willing to sacrifice 3 ounces and go with basic capped turrets for better glass and tracking if that is the case with the Sightron. They advertise using the same tracking system as their well known and trusted SIII's, so that is good, but I have no experience with Sightron, and my only experience with bushnell is of the walmart variety on air rifles and 22 rim fires, and I know those don't really compare to the better bushnell stuff.

So if anyone with insight on these two scopes could pipe up and help me make up my mind, that would be fantastic!!

I bought the Bushnell Engage 4-16 about 6 months ago. Seems to be a good scope for the price. I have 3 friends that also bought them around the same time.They all seem to have decent glass and track well. Mine is mounted on an AR 10 theirs on 6.5 creeds. All seem to be holding up well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I don't know if you could accidentally "spin" the top of the locking cap loose if you packed it in a scabbard a lot. They don't require an Allen wrench to reset turrets to zero.The top of the cap spins off and then you can take the turrets off to realigne hash mark after sighting in. This would be my only concern during traveling with it in a pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.