Loose scope mount, looking for help / ideas.

Iamnick

Scope mount on my muzzleloader is loose. The screws connecting the mount to the gun, not the scope to the mount. Mouny appears to be screwed into the barrel, but i have to remove the scope to access those screws to tighten the mount. Trying to avoid having to completely rezero this thing because its kind of a pain.

Trying to come up with a plan to attach the scope to the top of the ring so when i remove and tighten the mount i can just set the scope back and it would still be oriented correctly or close enough to minimize the amount id need to shoot to re zero. Would this process work? Im thinking glue or some gorilla tape.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

I used clear fingernail polish years ago. You might clean the bases, screws, screw holes and barrel with alcohol thoroughly and use blue lock titer on the screws. If you still have a problem then use the fingernail polish on the screws too.

If the mount was pretty well zero'd then removing the rings/ mount shouldn't be too far off when remounting. Sounds like the rings/ mount are integral.

It will be pretty close when you remount it as long as everything goes back where it was fore and aft, reticle level etc. With a good pic rail mount and good rings I have removed and remounted with no loss of zero at all on scopes I set up from the beginning. If it was monkey mounted prior to you though, who knows. One way to find out....

Unless it comes from a dead solid known good smith I remove scope, ring and bases prior to firing any gun, I install everything my way and loc-tite everything, and aside from a couple scopes that died I have had zero problems with mounts or rings or anything of the sort. I would recommend everyone capable do the same.

As xsn10s said, it has probably been that way from the get go.

Personally i use the purple low strength Loctite 222 for all my firearm needs.

Still holds tight, but not as bad as the blue 242 Loctite to loosen should you need to.

I ended up using some gorilla tape after marking orientation. Used some blue loctice on the mount. Havent had a chance to shoot it to check the zero but hopefully it stayed close!

I starting using a in/lb torque wrench a few years ago and it helped to get everything snugged up properly. I found I was not getting the screws tight enough.

Bed the rail and you won't have any more issues;

Also be sure the screws don't bottom out before they are tight on the rail, try them one at a time to see if they snug up on the rail. Clean all the oil off the screws and holes as well.

I guess all of the above but if a guy has a scope that tracks well and a rifle that shoots well, sighting in is quite fast with a scope that dials reliably. What scope are you using?

As was mentioned several times above, if it is just shooting loose, degrease screws, screw holes and use some blue loctite on it when tightening up.

Shooting light rifles with 150 grain max loads is also very hard on lower priced scopes. Killed a lot of stuff with sub 100 grain loads. Not saying you are shooting max loads in it, just heard of folks doing that a lot.