Looking for some help on scope

shedhunt

I just had a custom build done and am using a Leupold scope I have for this season.

I'm looking for first hand experience from others who have had the opportunity to own, use or shoot any or all of these scopes im gonna list.

Ziess
Nightforce NX8
Leupold VX5
Leupold Mark 5

What I'm really interested in is the Pros and Cons of each, especially Ziess. I've don't know anyone who owns one, so I'm unable to gather really hand info. I've also not ever seen or heard of anything good or bad about the Ziess line of scopes either.

What I have noticed is that they appear to not have the large magnification as the NX8. My build is for hunting, but I really would like to stretch it out and shoot steel at long ranges.

Please provide info if you have something to offer. This thread isn't being made for others to bicker back and forth about this and that.

Thank you for your time!!

Which Zeiss? I have the V6 and it is a great hunting scope, however I find the reticle a bit thick for my liking.
I was looking at V4. Honestly, I don't know really anything about them other than what I've been able to read off their website. Not sure if the V6 is better than the V4 or not.

What Zeiss are you looking at?

I have a couple of VX-5HD 3-15x44s with the windplex reticle. I overall like the scopes but I wish I would've bought a different reticle, they're a little thick for my liking and for working on things at 100 yards. I'm sure they'll be just fine at longer ranges. I've handled some of the Zeiss scopes but haven't ever shot with one, Zeiss makes good stuff though. At some point its going to come down to what features you want. Your options are sort of all over the place with the features of the different optics that you listed.

I have a VX5 and a V4 Zeiss and prefer the Zeiss out of the two. I have Nightforce NXS, NX8 and Atacr. My favorite is probably the NX8. You can't beat NF reliability.

What Zeiss are you looking at?

I have a couple of VX-5HD 3-15x44s with the windplex reticle. I overall like the scopes but I wish I would've bought a different reticle, they're a little thick for my liking and for working on things at 100 yards. I'm sure they'll be just fine at longer ranges. I've handled some of the Zeiss scopes but haven't ever shot with one, Zeiss makes good stuff though. At some point its going to come down to what features you want. Your options are sort of all over the place with the features of the different optics that you listed.
I don't know anything different about the Zeiss. I guess how do they compare to the other scopes I referenced?

I know what I'm getting with the NX8, but since I'm looking to buy once, I guess this is why I'm asking.
Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

I like scopes for hunting in the 3-20x range.I like my nx8 2.5 x20 but would prefer their xmas tree type reticle .Also little thin on lower power as its mil, my March or leupold like more for size.I have a mark 5 but it is in 5-25x56 large optic , not for packing but the smaller version would be great.

I have owned every scope on your list. If you want to double down as a target rig, either the NF or the Mark 5. If I had to choose between one, I'd take the mark 5. I've beat a couple up good and have had zero issues. The nx8's biggest complaint is the eyebox. I think it's a little over blown but it's noticeable. I'm currently running both, be fine either way.

I don't know anything different about the Zeiss. I guess how do they compare to the other scopes I referenced?

I know what I'm getting with the NX8, but since I'm looking to buy once, I guess this is why I'm asking.
Thanks for your input, appreciate it.
Personally I like European optics. The V4 is made in Japan, the V6 is made in Germany, The V6, like the VX-6 has a 6x magnification range, the 4 has a 4x range. So equate that to something like 3-18 is a 6x, 4-16 is a 4x. That's what the numbers mean, just like Leupold's numbers (VX-3, VX-5, VX-6). Depending on how much you want to spend, considering the different scopes you listed like the NX8 and Mark 5, you could look at Zeiss's higher end stuff too, like their LRP line, those would be more comparable. The V4 and V6 would be comparable to something like the VX-5 and VX-6 from Leupold, in price and features.

Basically, you have two different groups, basic exposed turrets and SFP with decent glass but not the best out there. Then the long range capable feature packed scopes with FFP reticles. One is going to be lighter, but not have options like lighted reticles and windage turrets (mostly), the other is going to be a beefier scope with lighted reticles and larger tubes for more dialing abilities. They're all good scopes in those lines, it just depends what you're doing with it, they all have their place and purpose.

Last edited: