Looking for some help

nube

I shoot a 7mm stw that shoots a 140tsx at 3400+fps. I have a SWarovski scope with a 4a reticle on it but I am looking for something to help me with long range shooting out to 600 yards. I like the looks of the Leupold B+C reticle but wonder if this system is hard to use? My main concern is that here in Alberta we shoot at running animals a lot on the open prairies and wonder if with the B+C reticle it may be hard to use this reticle with running animals. What do you guys find when you use this system on a running animal at 300 yards and less?

Here is my advice:
you are shooting a STW, if you sight in for 250 yards and leave that as your base sight in, you will not need to adjust your scope or aim out to 300 yards since the tradjectory is flat enough. I don't think it is wise to shoot at running game beyond this, but that is just my opinion. When the game is closer, you can act faster since it isn't as hard to make the shot.

It seems that most people who are after the precision shooting of long range will simply have a tradjectory chart and adjust their knobs. Face it, if it is out to six hundred, you need to take your time and place the shot. It only takes a few more seconds to work a target turret.

Nube

I shoot an 7 MM STW to .

It will kill any thing I can Hold the cross hairs on .

But I would knot shoot an running animial . Because they would be a good chanse that kill would knot be clean .

That is my 2 cents .

Redbone

If it where me I'd stay with the Swarovski scope with the 4a reticle.Only because of the chance of a running shot and you are probibly used to it.You can click up when the yardages get past 300.
Shooting running deer sure aint for everyone but as someone who has dropped numerous running deer with a 12ga slug @ 150+yards its not only possible but probible with practice!!

I understand the concern on running shots. I have guided and outfitted here for many years and have found that most people in the U.S are not use to this. This is said in no disrespect but I think it may bebecause of not having enough space to hunt in and with a high concentration of people living in small 10 acre plots in a lot of areas.
We grow up shooting at running criters. It's just the way it is here and it really isn't that hard at a deer that weighs 300+ pounds under 250 yards.
This long range hunting is new to me with all the new gear comming out that we never use to have. I think from what I have learned is that the turret system is probably the way to go if I am to get serious about being more accurate at the long ranges. Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.