Need some help on scope selection

GetReel

I have a Cooper model 52 Excalibur 6.5x284. I am putting new glass on it. Currently I shoot 300 and less but want to extend to 500-700 yards.
I am thinking about the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 MOAR.... what do you think? Other options in that price category? ($1250)

I have a Cooper model 52 Excalibur 6.5x284. I am putting new glass on it. Currently I shoot 300 and less but want to extend to 500-700 yards.
I am thinking about the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 MOAR.... what do you think? Other options in that price category? ($1250)
There is a ginormous amount of glass available for that kind of money, all of which is really good glass compared to 10 yrs ago.
Sightron.
Vortex.
Burris.
SWFA.
Weaver.
Bushnell.
IOR.
Nikon.
Zeiss.
Meopta
Minox.
Rudolph.
Others.
You need to do a LOT of research and then spend a few days in stores that carry these linesbefore you decide if you want what is BEST FOR YOU, your eyes and hunting style. A thread will just get you a bunch of conflicting advice and opinions.
Any $1250 scope nowadays will be a great value and will be extremely effective at the reasonably short ranges you listed

Thank you for your input.
Maybe I should have explained better, I'm coming from a Leopold vxiii 4.5-14... I'm thinking of going to the first focal plane. Any input from guys that converted to FFP?

Not a big deal. Either works equally well as long as you practice with it. I used to run the NP-R2 reticle SFP at 5.5 for short range and 22 for long and never had issues. A FFP is probably easier for most to use and the reticle on any I have used is fine on lower power which is the only potential downside of FFP. Not having to run a set power is a real advantage in my mind that more than outweighs the downside of not being able to see a reticle. Either way is great if you are used to it. I wouldn't switch between the two, even though I have in the past.

I just slapped a nightforce shv 4-14 F1 on my new 6.5. Really like it. I also have an Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 on my .300 win mag that is FFP. I came from a second focal plane Vortex HSLR and I found I prefer FFP. Found I do most of my shooting around 12-18 power, so the Athlon might actually be a little overkill. The extra magnification is nice, but I find myself turning it down to actually shoot. The reticle is a little unruly at 29x. On the Nightforce the reticle for me is perfect at 14 power and very useable down to about 6-8 power I'd say. It's pretty tiny at 4x. So many choices out there nowadays it's tough to go wrong if you do a little research. Good luck.

I just slapped a nightforce shv 4-14 F1 on my new 6.5. Really like it. I also have an Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 on my .300 win mag that is FFP. I came from a second focal plane Vortex HSLR and I found I prefer FFP. Found I do most of my shooting around 12-18 power, so the Athlon might actually be a little overkill. The extra magnification is nice, but I find myself turning it down to actually shoot. The reticle is a little unruly at 29x. On the Nightforce the reticle for me is perfect at 14 power and very useable down to about 6-8 power I'd say. It's pretty tiny at 4x. So many choices out there nowadays it's tough to go wrong if you do a little research. Good luck.

Not to thread jack but how is that Athlon glass look? I am not familiar with them.

Not to thread jack but how is that Athlon glass look? I am not familiar with them.

To my eye, it's noticeably better than the Nightforce, and flat blows away the Vortex that I had. I suppose it should, its much more expensive. I took a chance on the Athlon after talking with a few of the guys that work there and so far so good. I ran it on my gun at the Vortex Extreme and it held zero and performed flawlessly over the entire course. Glass seems to be ultra subjective, but I found it to compare to a Vortex Razor Gen II and the Nightforce ATACR. I have looked through both side by side. Which is pretty good being how the other two are in a higher price bracket. Controls aren't as "solid" as the NF or Gen II, but by no means are they chincy either.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.