I have been looking at some new scopes.
Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Putting it on my new 280AI.
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for a exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
I have leupold 3X15 s on 4 280 AI's. They have worked fine so far.

Yeah... as mentioned by Southpa above... first question... how much are you willing to spend?

Then go to the store and start comparing them and see what feels good. Do you like/want low turrets (I learnt the hard way with that one when the side elevation turret is going into your hand when you carry the gun)... how the magnification ring feels to turn it. What type of crosshairs do you want? And that last one gets ugly!!! Can you stand 10,000 dots and hash marks when your using the gun at 75 yards on a running deer. Great when your dialing everything in at 600. Which I am to the point of give me a duplex sight with ballistic turrets. Anything past 300 yards I have time to dial. Anything under 300 you should be able to confidently hold over for trajectory or wind.

Years ago a salesman said to me when I was looking at scopes... check the Burris out. I laughed. Yeah right. We laid out 10 scopes in the store and 5 of us who were regulars went through them. Shockingly... the Burris beat out a ton of scopes. Not saying they are the choice but saying you pick what you like and fits.

Not from what I have seen. I have shot behind 20+ NXS, and 6 or 7 SHV.

They say the NXS and NX8 glass is the same. I find the newer NXS/NX8 are even better than the older NXS.
I called NF, the SHV and NXS share the same glass, and the NX8 and ATACR share the same glass. At least that is what their customer service said a couple years ago.

I called NF, the SHV and NXS share the same glass, and the NX8 and ATACR share the same glass. At least that is what their customer service said a couple years ago.
The NX8 is basically a 30mm version of an ATACR is how it was explained to me, who knows. I can't speak to the NXS.

Last edited:
I have been looking at some new scopes.
Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Putting it on my new 280AI.
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for an exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
I built my son a 280Ai on a Montana 1999 action he put a 4.5 x14 TMR on it and never looked back killed woodchucks at 750 loves it it's all about what you like I would say

Recent Posts