Need some help on scope choice

PRCLITE

So I'm in the arena that most of us have been in. I am trying to decide on the perfect scope for my build...

I am going for a 10 pound walking weight rifle. This rifle will be used for hunting the eastern mountains, southern fields and also the mountains out west. It will be my go to rifle for predators, whitetail, black bear, elk and everything in between. I already have my barreled action, stock and bottom metal decided on. I just sold my Vortex GenII 3-18 yesterday (pending funds).. I am looking for a scope that can do it all and then some. I am seeking a SFP scope, MOA/MOA, good power range for the above mentioned and light to midweight specs. I also require turrets I can dial on the fly, zero stop a must as well. Illuminated reticle is not a deal breaker.

I have the thoughts on the following:

March 2.5-25x52:
I keep reading and hearing about how great this scope is. It has every feature I am looking for except for the warranty. I am looking for a scope that will last a lifetime under normal use and if something should go wrong, I'd like to be covered. The service/warranty is the only hesitation I have here - if anyone has experience with the company please share.

Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50
I have had nightforce scopes in the past and I loved them. They are a great scope, have a great warranty and I feel better about support than I do with the March. The only issue here is the power range which I think should be fine for my applications.

Vortex Razor AMG
If this scope was offered in SFP with a smaller lower power I'd be all over it. Essentially it would make the perfect scope.

These are basically the three I've had my eyes on. I wouldn't necessarily bother with AMG because of FFP but vortex may surprise us and offer a SFP option at shot this year. It may be worth waiting for but would probably be a REALLY long wait. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

I have an x-5 3.5x18 on my 10lb (total weight) 300 rum..

It does the trick..

Vortex Razor AMG for sure.

EVERY part of the AMG (Advanced Manufacturing Group) is made in the USA. Quality is probably only exceeded by Schmidt & Bender, but for a huge price differential.

I'd get the AMG over a Swarovski.

Eric B.

Vortex Razor AMG for sure.

EVERY part of the AMG (Advanced Manufacturing Group) is made in the USA. Quality is probably only exceeded by Schmidt & Bender, but for a huge price differential.

I'd get the AMG over a Swarovski.

Eric B.

Have you used both side by side?

WRO,

I have used neither, just looked thru them. At my age I could not see any difference in edge-to-edge clarity or color rendition. But I was inside a store, in artificial light looking thru a window to a daylight scene and that is not the best test.

I'd say that by far the best value for the money is the AMG. They still have hardened steel turret "gears" but the steel gear ring is heat-shrunk into an aluminum housing to reduce weight.

You are the one that needs to see them side-by-side. Let me know what you see.

Eric B.

WRO,

I have used neither, just looked thru them. At my age I could not see any difference in edge-to-edge clarity or color rendition. But I was inside a store, in artificial light looking thru a window to a daylight scene and that is not the best test.

I'd say that by far the best value for the money is the AMG. They still have hardened steel turret "gears" but the steel gear ring is heat-shrunk into an aluminum housing to reduce weight.

You are the one that needs to see them side-by-side. Let me know what you see.

Eric B.

I've used the x5 for the last 6 months and really like it. Price wise they are pretty close, weight wise they are pretty close, turrets work great, glass is top shelf.

Hopefully one of my buddies will get an AMG and we can compare side by side.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.