Looking for a new Scope

The Salty Hog

Hello' everyone, I'm currently looking into buying my first long range scope and I've got roughly $800-$1000 to work with. If you were me, what would you go with in that price range? I'd like something with a 20x-24x max power. Any & all opinions would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

SH

Get a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 i have had mine for about 8 months vary good glass 100moa totle of elevation. do a serch on this site and you will read a lot of good things about them.

Will do Nape, which reticle does your's have, the mil-dot or target dot? Which would you recommend for hunting? I heard the mil-dot was a bit thick at long distances, is that the case or did they change that since 2008?

$800 will buy a great Burris Blackdimond. I have had one on my 257 weatherby since they came out. I sighted it in at 200 yrds and have never had to ajust it, It is a great scope for the money... Or for $1000 you can get a Zeiss conquest another great scope for the money.. You could not go wrong with eather one of those scopes.. Bill Maylor.

goto optics planet, a sponsor here and look at their show specials, demos etc.

I got a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 X 50, with which I am well pleased, for way below the new price. Full lifetime warranty also.

The only thing 30 mm gets you is a bit more adjustment. With a super flat shootin' rig the Zeiss has plenty of room to maneuver.

Thanks for your replies guy's!

Yesterday, I ended up ordering a Sightron SIII 6-24x50MD from optics planet and recieved a phone call very shortly from a guy over there telling me that the scope I'd ordered would be on backorder until possibly the end of the year. He then offered me the option of buying the Burris BD 6-24x50 with the balistic MD for the same price as the Sightron so I told him to send it my way. I can't wait to get it in.

Bill, I've got a question for you or anyone who can answer this for me. On the Burris I noticed that there is set screw to fasten the reticle in place once the gun has been zero'd, my question is, do you have to back off of the screw every time you dail up for a long shot?

Thanks for your replies guy's!

Yesterday, I ended up ordering a Sightron SIII 6-24x50MD from optics planet and recieved a phone call very shortly from a guy over there telling me that the scope I'd ordered would be on backorder until possibly the end of the year. He then offered me the option of buying the Burris BD 6-24x50 with the balistic MD for the same price as the Sightron so I told him to send it my way. I can't wait to get it in.

Bill, I've got a question for you or anyone who can answer this for me. On the Burris I noticed that there is set screw to fasten the reticle in place once the gun has been zero'd, my question is, do you have to back off of the screw every time you dail up for a long shot?
I've never seen were a screw fastens the reticle in place (but) I've never seen a burris either however, with my scopes you zero your scope at 100 or 200 yrds whichever you desire then you loosen the screw up on top of your elevation dial turn it until the zero hash mark is ligned up with the center hash mark on the scope tube then tighten the screws back down and your good to go you should never have to move them as long as your scope stays sighted in.This works the same way with your windage dial . You may know this already anyway I hope this helps:)

BIGBUCK

I believe the "set screw" he's referring to is Burris's "posi-lock". I don't know how it works though.

Thanks jmason, I'm looking at one in a catalog now it has a little knob on the side of it I wonder if this is what he's talking about?

Salty Hog, would you mind telling me what you payed for your burris + shipping . I want to compare to see what I can get one for.

Thanks BIgbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.