Looking for a new scope

Strother

Looking for a new scope for my 257 wby mag .About $ 2000 limit. Thinking about Leupold VX 5 or 6 or NF NX8 any suggestions welcome.Like the idea of Leupold CDS.Have 70 year old eyes and having trouble focusing on targets when sighting in and shooting for groups. I like simple crosshair like duplex. Maybe a Leupold Mark 5.

Last edited:
Looking for a new scope for my 257 wby mag .About $ 2000 limit. Thinking about Leupold VX 5 or 6 or NF NX8 any suggestions welcome.Like the idea of Leupold CDS.Have 70 year old eyes and having trouble focusing on targets when sighting in and shooting for groups. I like simple crosshair like duplex. Maybe a Leupold Mark 5.
Check out the Meopta Meostar R2 for about the same price depending on the model you're looking at. The 4C/4K reticle is pretty close to the Duplex but the thicker posts stop shorter than a traditional duplex for a more "open" view of the target. The finish and overall build quality seems a little better than the VX6 in my experience, but I haven't taken a VX6 out of a storefront and just got the Meostars this year so I haven't really tested them in the field. I would still argue that based on everything I've seen the Meopta optical performance is going to edge out the VX6 a little bit in low light and possibly clarity, but I'm sure you're aware that anything at this tier and above is going to be splitting hairs and down to personal preference for the most part.

Like you I'm a regular duplex type guy. I haven't looked at the Meopta line of scopes, and I'm sure there nice. For me though iv got the VX5HD 3-15x44 firedot and love it. Could shoot past legal shooting times, so it's clear enough, and draws enough light even with the 44 mm objective. Went with the VX6HD 3-18x44 on my newest rifle for the extra magnification. Some nice scopes in that price range for sure. Iv just been happy with the Leupolds. Good luck with your search!!!

Jimmy

Take a look at the Trijicon AccuPoint. Great glass, reliable dialing, illumination that functions without a battery or electronics. If you want a customized dial like CDS, Kenton Industries makes them for Trijicons.

Hello check out the Tract Optics line of scopes. Then call them and talk to Jon Allen he's great help! He is one of the owners I believe! Their response time is great.Did I mention their optics are superb!!! I've installed several for clients and my 15 year old Grandson loves his on his Bergara

Have you looked at the Sig Sauer BDX system? I'm very impressed with the very simple functionality, scope optical quality ( with lighted reticle type feature), rangefinder (5k) is really sweet, and the price (buy almost anywhere for your $2k limit for both scope and rangefinder). I'm not a youngster either, and if I can make it work you can too!