Looking for a new press

I have been using a Dillon 550 for about 20 yrs. You can use as a single stage or semi progressive. I bought a Gracey power trimmer and had special dies made to trim fired cases. Trim first and then reload. I use all ball powder except for 270. I have loaded over 10,000 rounds this way and my varmint loads average between .25 and .5 and that is good enough for varmints. I am not a bench shooter. Hope this gives you some ideas for the future. I have 2 550's, one for sm primers and one for lrg. I use Lee collet dies, Redding body dies, and RCBS gold medal seaters. When I have to FL resize I use RCBS X dies.
I've been thinking about getting another 550 and set it up just for case prep. I'm not sure how good their sizer/trim dies are though, as in how precise one could be setup to bump a shoulder only .002 or so.

Many years ago I recall reading about a test where a gent tested a sloppy press against a tight press. He found the sloppy press loaded more accurate ammo with the reasoning being the sloppy press allowed things to float which put the die in control as it should be. The die is the important thing. I had a Redding die that induced .010 neck runout in both my Forster and Redding BB2 presses. No matter the level of alignment or float would make it better. The die was in control. The Wilson arbor press dies also prove this out. I took my Forster off the bench this week and boxed it. It doesn't load ammo any more accurate than my BB2 and the shell plates take too long to change compared to standard shell holders. I can change dies almost as fast with the lee breech lock as I can with the Forster. The BR shooter across the street wins most all of the matches he shoots in and is using a very old rusty RCBS RC press and is set up working out of an old spring house in the back yard. I'd recommend spending the big bucks on precision dies. Once that case is in the die it doesn't matter if that ram has some movement JMO
I agree, I've used my custom dies and a old rock chucker for many years and have had awesome luck with it with hunting rounds and my f-class/ prs stuff but I like having multiple dies ready. I go through a lot of rounds every year, rebarrel 2 rifles every year so I'm loading often and the versatility appeals to me

I agree, I've used my custom dies and a old rock chucker for many years and have had awesome luck with it with hunting rounds and my f-class/ prs stuff but I like having multiple dies ready. I go through a lot of rounds every year, rebarrel 2 rifles every year so I'm loading often and the versatility appeals to me
I would be looking at a t-7 with inline case ejector system to speed up some things.

This press gives the most consistent shoulder bumps of any press I have tested. That includes at minimum the coax, t7, ultramag, and rockchucker. The design is very rigid, nowhere for flex to happen. Bump is controlled with click adjustments. You can get it for use with a threaded seating die or an inline seating die as well. I just use it for sizing though. I like a separate arbor press for seating. Have used it up to wsm cases, but it will go bigger.

Last edited:
This press gives the most consistent shoulder bumps of any press I have tested. That includes at minimum the coax, t7, ultramag, and rockchucker. The design is very rigid, nowhere for flex to happen. Bump is controlled with click adjustments. You can get it for use with a threaded seating die or an inline seating die as well. I just use it for sizing though. I like a separate arbor press for seating. Have used it up to wsm cases, but it will go bigger.

Loading 6.5 creed,308,7prc ,223 and a pile of other things I'll check them out . Thanks

Need to upgrade my old Hornady L-n-L single stage press.. Reloading for precision rifle, 2-3 calibers, 100-200 rds each, a yr as of now. Top choices so far..

Redding T7 w/ creedmoore sports head.
Forster Co-ax, if they ever come back in stock
Dillion 550
SAC Nexus (when it comes out)
Anyone have any insight on either of these? Pros and Cons? Or another option to look at? Zero press is outta my price range..
Thanks
Tagging in.

Matt Owens at Arkomachine makes the HOOD press....I would get the JLC bump die adjuster model. Alex Wheeler (and several others) ran a test and the Hood press was the most consistent.

https://arkcomachine.com/shop/ols/products/hood-press-wilson-seater-308-red-or-blue

Or hold out for the new SAC press....I've sized a few cases on it and works as it should.

Rockchucker is my go to for everything. It doesn't do anything special but it doesn't do anything bad.

The Area419 is convenient that's about it....it's not designed to cam over. I hate mine, it was a Christmas gift so I feel obligated to keep it. Lol

EDIT to add....I just seen Wheelers post 🤪

Last edited: