Looking for a new press

After starting handloading on an old Herter's C press many decades ago, I have owned and used RCBS A2 and Rock Chucker, Bonanza O style and the Co-Ax. The choice for me is an easy one... the Co-Ax wins hands down. Plain and simple, the Co-Ax makes the most accurate ammo for my rifles.

It's fine I guess. Just want something different.
Then I'd recommend you save up for the ZERO Press.

Capable of making consistent Precision Ammunition, 1 time die setup in 9 station interchangeable positive locking turret head, self alignment shell holding system, Fully machined components, Robust unit, linkage & straight line ram system, precision bearings throughout, heavy duty construction & hardware.

Lots of supporting components & peripheral items available as well.

The Zero is the smoothest most durable, versatile, precision reloading system I've owned.

In my direct comparison to the previous press system I owned there was measurable improvement in the Quality & Consistency of my finished reload results.

Well worth the investment for me !

YMMV.

Last edited:
I have used my Rock Chucker since the mid-70s and had no show-stopping complaints. It still has a place of honor on my bench, although it is mostly now only used for the case preparation process. The seating operation is now done on my Forrester Co-Ax. I do appreciate the Co-Ax, but I still cling to my "Chucker".

I have used my Rock Chucker since the mid-70s and had no show-stopping complaints. It still has a place of honor on my bench, although it is mostly now only used for the case preparation process. The seating operation is now done on my Forrester Co-Ax. I do appreciate the Co-Ax, but I still cling to my "Chucker".
I have them too, and gotten them of my sons. I feel they are a great single stage press, Strong and I never broken one either. The Area 19 is a very nice press and turret system. They are expensive. They are something like $1,200.00 additonal amount for more turret. Other than that a Rock Chucker is a very good press. and last. You can get them on Ebay for less.

i have a Lyman turret press thats more then 40 years old and its still tyte with no play. My Harrels turret had play from the time I bougth it 1 1/2 years ago. both are very accurate. I use them both for short range Bench rest. dies are where I would spend my money. Not cheap ones.

Need to upgrade my old Hornady L-n-L single stage press.. Reloading for precision rifle, 2-3 calibers, 100-200 rds each, a yr as of now. Top choices so far..

Redding T7 w/ creedmoore sports head.
Forster Co-ax, if they ever come back in stock
Dillion 550
SAC Nexus (when it comes out)
Anyone have any insight on either of these? Pros and Cons? Or another option to look at? Zero press is outta my price range..
Thanks
That's like asking "hey guys, I'm in the market for a new vehicle, I'm cross shopping a sports car, a pickup truck and a minivan. What do you think I should buy?"

😁

Three presses, all quite different from each other. A turret press, a single stage press, and a progressive.

You might be the only person currently cross-shopping those three specific presses that are so different.

I think the question is do you want a turret, a single stage, or a progressive?

I have three rockchuckers, two years ago, a friend gave me a Redding Boss. I love the BOSS!

Whatever you use, it is a good idea to have a run-out gauge to check how straight the necks are being sized and bullets seated, assume nothing. Some dies and occasional shell holders are pure junk, striving for .002 and under will pay some dividends on paper targets.

I had a Co Ax. Many of the loads I shoot are hot, web swells where I need a lot of "cam over" on the full-length sizing. Co Ax are not worth a darn for this issue, but straight ammo with the Co Ax is impressive to say the least, especially when you get Forster dies where they hone the neck dia to the size you want...glory...you have to see it to believe it. You suddenly realize that bushing dies cock necks, some crooked as a dog's hind leg! Wilson's press dies are a different animal, also.

As a machinist, I prefer to have a separate press instead of a turret head press where the alignment could be helter-skelter. Possible misalignment issues make my head hurt just thinking about it, but they are handy.

You do not need expensive equipment but Learn to do Proper QC on your finished ammo.

Last edited:
I'd go Co-ax or T7 and spend the money saved over a zero or nexus on upgrading your brass prep/loading gear. Annealer? SAC dies/seater? primer seater? I think you'd maybe see better result at the same overall price point. Have you checked runout on your current press?

I want the zero!! Yeah it's lots of coin but I don't care, this is absolutely sexy!!

Attachments

• IMG_1124.png
    IMG_1124.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 44
Many years ago I recall reading about a test where a gent tested a sloppy press against a tight press. He found the sloppy press loaded more accurate ammo with the reasoning being the sloppy press allowed things to float which put the die in control as it should be. The die is the important thing. I had a Redding die that induced .010 neck runout in both my Forster and Redding BB2 presses. No matter the level of alignment or float would make it better. The die was in control. The Wilson arbor press dies also prove this out. I took my Forster off the bench this week and boxed it. It doesn't load ammo any more accurate than my BB2 and the shell plates take too long to change compared to standard shell holders. I can change dies almost as fast with the lee breech lock as I can with the Forster. The BR shooter across the street wins most all of the matches he shoots in and is using a very old rusty RCBS RC press and is set up working out of an old spring house in the back yard. I'd recommend spending the big bucks on precision dies. Once that case is in the die it doesn't matter if that ram has some movement JMO

I have a friend that tests bullets for Berger at 1000 yds. He uses Forster dies that have been honed at Forster, followed by a mandrel. He strives for sub .001 run out.

I use two partner presses while loading at the Gun Club. One neck sizes and the other seats the bullets, and I check run out with a 21st century run out device with a Brown and Sharp indicator.

As Seabeeken stated, dies are a HUGE part of the equation, and this is a deep rabbit hole.

I'd seriously consider the 550 depending on what you're loading and the powder you're using. I really like mine and load 223 and 6.5 Grendel on it. I don't have much issue with that except the brass prep. I figure once I get a 6 Dasher built I'll be getting a tool head for that to see how it goes. I don't typically shoot enough on my bolt guns to make it worth it though. The one thing is that I'd have to size, clean, trim, all of that then run it in the Dillon. I don't see the need to run it in the Dillon at that point because it's all just primer, powder, and seat. Not too much work on a single stage. If I got a new single stage it'd be a Co-Ax, if I got a turret it'd be the Zero.
I have been using a Dillon 550 for about 20 yrs. You can use as a single stage or semi progressive. I bought a Gracey power trimmer and had special dies made to trim fired cases. Trim first and then reload. I use all ball powder except for 270. I have loaded over 10,000 rounds this way and my varmint loads average between .25 and .5 and that is good enough for varmints. I am not a bench shooter. Hope this gives you some ideas for the future. I have 2 550's, one for sm primers and one for lrg. I use Lee collet dies, Redding body dies, and RCBS gold medal seaters. When I have to FL resize I use RCBS X dies.