Looking for a new press

TackDriv3r

I have the old RCBS Rock Chucker that I used for the last 25 years. Since I am having my new 14 x 14 man cave built and making a reloading station. I would like to buy a new press, but looking at a Redding. Looking for a press with perfect alignment between the shell holder and the dies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd go for a new Redding. I have a RCBS Rockchucker that I bought in the 70's. There was a 15 year period of time when it was in a box. I still use it to make rifle ammo.

but he said he wanted perfect alignment!
glt

A RCBS and a Redding gives pretty much perfect alignment, just asking for your opinions on your experiences with your presses and some advice which would be a better choice on the Type O presses.

A RCBS and a Redding gives pretty much perfect alignment, just asking for your opinions on your experiences with your presses and some advice which would be a better choice on the Type O presses.

I make some real precise ammo with good dies, knowledge, and my Rock Chucker Supreme... I think precision has more to do with how well your dies and shell holders are setup, unless your press is just really old and wore-out. But, if you like your Rock Chucker, then I'd buy a new one. I don't think you're going to find much more precise alignment other than a single-stage press.

Just my opinion.

I have a Forester Co-ax press, If i had a chance to do it over again, I would. Easy die swap, no shell holder change for similar case size. I've never used the priming function, I have a hand primer.

I make some real precise ammo with good dies, knowledge, and my Rock Chucker Supreme... I think precision has more to do with how well your dies and shell holders are setup, unless your press is just really old and wore-out. But, if you like your Rock Chucker, then I'd buy a new one. I don't think you're going to find much more precise alignment other than a single-stage press.

Just my opinion.

Id say if a RockChucker was "worn out" its because it was never cleaned and had the ram lightly oiled. That slow speed of up an down will never wear out a lubricated ram.

Ive got one along with a ReLoader 5 model on the side and if I ever find another ming shape RockChucker on E-Bay for a good price I'll get it and have a 3rd press setup

I'm still using the Rockchucker press I bought in 1973 and have no thoughts of replacing it. With Forster full length dies I'm getting .001 or less neck runout so why upgrade.

Reason I wanted to get a new one is because the ram shaft collected a good bit of rust after being idle in a humid garage close to the garage door for a few years on a shelf. Cleaned most of the rust off and used it for another 20 years, and seeing some end play on the top of the shaft. Since I saved some $$$ so it won't hurt to get a new press for my new reloading station.

Sounds to me like the pins in all the pivot points are showing a little sign of wear. Pull them and check with a Mic. If they are worn I would call RCBS. Inform them and they may just send you a new set. Cheap Fix. Good Luck in your new cave.

if you wish a new press along the cadilac go with forster.
I would look into having rcbs rebuild the rock chucker. That might be a good solution to your problem

Reason I wanted to get a new one is because the ram shaft collected a good bit of rust after being idle in a humid garage close to the garage door for a few years on a shelf. Cleaned most of the rust off and used it for another 20 years, and seeing some end play on the top of the shaft. Since I saved some $$$ so it won't hurt to get a new press for my new reloading station.

My old Rockchucker is getting loose and from being in the basement it has surface rust. "BUT" when you use Redding Competition Shell Holders the shell holders make hard contact with the die. This eliminates any slop in the press and and the case is free to move in the shell holder.

Below is a RCBS .223 die equipped with a Forster high mounted floating expander and a Lee lock ring that allows the die to float. And with this setup and my "OLD" 1973 Rockchucker press I'm getting cases with .001 or less neck runout.

Bottom line, check your resized cases with a runout gauge for neck runout. Your old Rockchucker may look old and worn but all the really counts is the quality of your resized cases.

IMG_2140_zpsea657d9e.jpg

Now think about it, the Forster Co-Ax press allows the die to float and the jaws that hold the case allow the case to float. So I think of my old RCBS Rockchucker as a green floating Co-Ax press.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts