LongRangeHunting AR500 deer group buy. I need your input!

Tyler Kemp

Hi guys, several of you noted you would like a full size deer target waterjet cut from AR500.

I can get to the design phase based on some feedback from you.

As an example, I found this target online that retails at just under $1700:

XoFWhJc.jpg

I'd plan on a price MUCH less than that, but there are several things that need to be addressed:

1) Do you want a vital zone? We can do a "flapper" like you see above, or we can etch the vitals more accurately into the target, and even include a "stencil" that is waterjetted out, so you could easily paint the vitals a different color.

2) Are antlers important to you? This just increases size and cost.

3) How would you prefer this target mounted? Hang it via two t-posts? Two stands that hold a 2x2 or 4x4, with mounts to go on top?

4) What are you willing to spend on this? It will be fairly costly to ship and make, but will be one badass target to last a lifetime.

EDIT: By taking out the bottom of the legs, and antlers, you would be cutting a significant chunk off the size.

I like the waterjetted stencil idea. Antlers and legs are irrelevant on a target plus cheaper to make and ship.

After I thought about it I think I would prefer a true vital sized target made out of ar 500. Something that is etched out to show the vital's and then a guy could inset it into a plywood or cardboard deer cutout that would be truly life sized. That's just me but if guys would prefer the full cutout that would be cool too.

After I thought about it I think I would prefer a true vital sized target made out of ar 500. Something that is etched out to show the vital's and then a guy could inset it into a plywood or cardboard deer cutout that would be truly life sized. That's just me but if guys would prefer the full cutout that would be cool too.

This is what I would do too. I use a "big game" vital target that is 1/4" AR 500 that is a 10x16" target with full radii in the corners. That plate rings like a church bell on a quiet morning but it's been bent after taking some hits with a 300 grain Berger at 825 yards. It withstood thousands of hits with bullets out various 6.5's without any damage at all previous to that.

I completely feel the same. I mean the whole point of the "rest of the deer" (non vitals) is to not hit it, so let that part be cardboard/plywood/drywall or whatever the end user wants. It would mean a significantly smaller target that a lot more people could afford, plus easier to ship. The key is it being an anatomical, lifesize replica of the vitals in 1/2" AR500 (etched out as said above). So many times I've seen them and they are really 1:2 scale or whatever else.

You could branch out and do other vitals too for other game. Deer, Elk, Moose, etc. I could see myself branching out and buying multiples for all the game I do want/want to hunt.

Maybe we will do a full size and just a vital zone.

So when you want the vitals etched...are you thinking a rectangle with the heart/lungs etched in the middle, or cut out in the shape of lungs/heart with inside that etched?

Maybe we will do a full size and just a vital zone.

So when you want the vitals etched...are you thinking a rectangle with the heart/lungs etched in the middle, or cut out in the shape of lungs/heart with inside that etched?

Personally, I would want the cut out in the shape of the lungs/heart. If people want a square one with the vitals, they can paint that on (I actually do that on some of my square ones).

I was thinking life sized vital's in the shape of vital's like you find on paper targets where the lines are drawn out to show the difference pieces. And with the water jet etching you could etch out the lines for the heart lungs and that, then a guy would have an accurate a count of what he is aiming at. The whole point of it would rely soley on it being to a anatomicaly correct size and layout for the average deer,elk, ect. But what to do about the high shoulder shot?:rolleyes:

I was thinking life sized vital's in the shape of vital's like you find on paper targets where the lines are drawn out to show the difference pieces. And with the water jet etching you could etch out the lines for the heart lungs and that, then a guy would have an accurate a count of what he is aiming at. The whole point of it would rely soley on it being to a anatomicaly correct size and layout for the average deer,elk, ect. But what to do about the high shoulder shot?:rolleyes:

That's why you need the whole deer target ;) Leaving town in a few hours but will post up some models next week.

That's why you need the whole deer target ;) Leaving town in a few hours but will post up some models next week.
Not really.

If you make a rectangular target 2'w x 18" deep you can overlay the vitals including the spine and shoulder and still do it for far less than a whole deer/elk sized target.

If you then simply etch in the heart, lungs, spine so people can paint it by the numbers so to speak you get the best of all worlds.

I would like it all, for my uses I need the whole thing so we can train shooters and practice and make out aim points so we need the legs to get that behind the shoulder shot or top of the shoulder. I also like to work with quartering shots so needing a whole body would let me get the most out of it.
I would prefer no etching of the vitals, have yet to see a deer with vitals out lined so I want the shooter to pick the shot placement based on the animal and position.
It could be made in three pieces either hang it side by side tight with a couple bolt straps would work but having the whole deer would be awesome!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.