Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

What I haven't figured out yet is how one would know what to dial into their scope or hold over for a shot at said distance but cannot tell you how much drop the bullet has at said distance.

funny_animation_i-want-to-believe.gif

Last edited:
700 yards on a buck with a 223 and 55g HP is LUCK, not skill. I dont care who you are. Do that shot 100 times and see how many deer you end up losing and never recovering, I bet it'd be close to about 90%.

I'm not one to rain on someones parade, but you must think a little bit about these things before you decide to post. In most states its not even legal to use .224's on deer, let alone at 700 yards. I'm not saying it CANT be done, obviously your the exception, but its not a high percentage shot/kill with that system.

You do know that 700 yards with a 55g bullet at that speed is pretty much flat out of gas at 700 yards right? Do you know the drop, drift, remaining velocity, energy left at 700 yards?? My guess is you probly dont, but according to you, all you gotta do is range it and click your scope to the yardage and wah lah, your killing deer at 700 yards with a 55g hp from a AR .223. There is a ton of stuff that goes into making shots past 600 yards and I think you have a bit of reading to go to fully understand why some of us are questioning you.

Dont take my post to offense, just look at the ballistics of your 700 yard deer load and you'll see why some of us have a hard time being open minded.

mine would be a groundhog at 1030 yards. poor fellow picked a bad time to walk out behind my 1000 yd target i had set up to verify my drop chart. oh yeah, it was a 338 with 250 gr Match Kings. i can assure you it was "enough" at that distance.

my farthest kill was at 1350 on a wv whitetail last fall with a 7mm Allen mag. The farthest kill I've read about on this forum that I have faith in was Kirby's (FIFTYDRIVER) 2370 yard rockchuck.
As far as the 700 yard whitetail kill with a 55 gr 223, you folks have to understand we know that the load is down to 150 ft/lbs of energy at that range, you can kill a deer with a 22 at that level of energy but ya better hit him in the head. and the drop is 145" or 19+ moa and this was done with a generic BDC knob? with wolf ammo?
RR

Last edited:
"and the drop is 145" or 19+ moa and this was done with a generic BDC knob? with wolf ammo?"

Im pretty sure the wwII nazi snipers were using Wolf ammo,it is the most precise ammo avaliable to the long range shooting crowd,there is a wolf "black label" ammo but you have to be an employee of the pentagon or blackwater Inc to buy it.With that kind of energy at 700....ish and a HP bullet that deer wouldnt be DRT,it would LFG,Long Fn Gone.:rolleyes:

Here we go again with the negative comments. I guess it is beyond you two (X3M, NONYA business) that there just might be a remote possibility that it is some what possible to make a shot at 920 yards with open sites and kill an animal. I guess you could tell that guy you have probably seen hit an 18" plate on a Buffalo silhouette at 1450 yards with a 45-120 with open sites its impossible. You could also tell the guys that shoot 10" bullseyes with open sites in Palma matches that it isn't possible. I bet you could even insult the lowly snipers of WWI and WWII and Korea that they were unable to protect their fellow soldiers from advancing attack with an Springfield 1903, Jorgansen 30-40 Kraig, M1 Garand because that is all they had at the time picking off the leadership at 1000yrds. Jeesh I wonder how a Civil War sniper managed with only a rifled musket (if they used there own hunting rifle) and the ability to take a Colonel off his horse at an estimated 1000 yards with open sites. I guess it is impossible to be that open minded.

I guess it is impossible to understand that some individuals who have grown up on open sites because they could not afford a scope in their youth. They had to use what they had and learn to use it well. I guess you just might be a bit jealous that it is possible that there is someone out there that might just be a better shot than you two.

But here we are... being little boys doubting a mans ability because you have never tried nor have the ability to meet his ability. Once again the world revolves around two individuals and their innate ability to judge someone else's ability. I wish I could be like you guys... then again, I like the fact that I'm far less superior and have room to grow.

Tank (a.k.a. Spineless Unich)

I know it is very possible to hit a target with a 308 with open sights at 920 yards, but that's not my point. The point I was making is that the equipment being used was being stretch way past it's limitations, and more than questioning his skills I was questioning his ethics. I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few people here that are better shots than him that would never think of shooting a deer at 920 yards with a 308 with open sights.

And speaking of ability, it is because I have tried and practiced shooting long range that I know what it takes to make a cold bore shot at 920 yards with top of the line equipment (scopes with target turrets, range finders, weather stations, and custom built guns with match barrels using handloads with target bullets) that I question his "ability"

-X3M

Mr Unich

If you are impressed by these claims you certianly do have room for improvement,lets for a minute pretend this actually happened as posted,Who in the hell takes a 700+ yard shot with a 223 at anything other than rodents and vermine?Someone with very little respect for game,hunting ethics and the limitations of their weapon,there is nothing to be jealous of,even if the shot were made as posted it was a very poor shot.

to date it would be 497 yrds on a mule deer in west texas. had been practicing for this shot the whole year prior to last hunting season when it was made. rifle was a rebarreled m77 in 280 rem shooting a 168 berger at 2870 fps

I saw a man shoot a deer with a lever action 30-30 with open sights at about 350 yrds killed it deader than heck. funny thing was he had no clue as to how far it was when he shot,he admitted it was just luck. I have shot at hogs and coyotes at increadible ranges but I will tell you for the most part any hit beyond maybe 600 yrds is luck. I do a fair mount of shooting too. Just my opinion, for anyone to attemp to shoot a deer with an ar-15 with wolf ammo that is beyond 200 yrds is asking failure. I have culled many a deer with the 223 with in 200 yrds it amazing just a little beyond that all i can say is call in the dogs.

I know it is very possible to hit a target with a 308 with open sights at 920 yards, but that's not my point. The point I was making is that the equipment being used was being stretch way past it's limitations, and more than questioning his skills I was questioning his ethics. I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few people here that are better shots than him that would never think of shooting a deer at 920 yards with a 308 with open sights.

And speaking of ability, it is because I have tried and practiced shooting long range that I know what it takes to make a cold bore shot at 920 yards with top of the line equipment (scopes with target turrets, range finders, weather stations, and custom built guns with match barrels using handloads with target bullets) that I question his "ability"

-X3M

What I am trying to get at, is it really necessary to make a man feel like a pile of dog poo, because of what he says. The title is "Longest Harvest on the Boards," not "Tell me how far you shoot so that we can question your ability, ethics, and make fun of you!" ..... Just a thought. If you want to keep people in this sight, a better use of tact when discussing things is necessary. Nonya has proven that he doesn't care and that's okay, but it is necessary for the rest of us to prove that we are better than that. Is it ethical to take a shot at that distance with that projectile at that large of game? No. But he did, and just happen to get the right shot off at the right time. Can we prove him wrong, no... none of us were there to witness it being made so we have to take his word for it. I'm defending the rights of others to join into conversation without having to be worried about being hassled. We all say that these types of shots could be made under perfect circumstances, maybe that day happened for him. Call me a Unich, call me spineless, but I know who I am, and what I stand for. If that is wrong, then so be it. I promise this will be my last post on this subject.

Tank

Back to the question at hand, I shot a moose in Alaska in 1979 with an old 30-06 at 325 yards.

I was standing on some logs on a bluff shooting off hand at the time so I have to say I am still proud of the shot. Pure eyeball ranging with holdover.

Just built a .375 Chey Tac so I hope to push this out quite a ways this year.

What I am trying to get at, is it really necessary to make a man feel like a pile of dog poo, because of what he says. The title is "Longest Harvest on the Boards," not "Tell me how far you shoot so that we can question your ability, ethics, and make fun of you!" ..... Just a thought. If you want to keep people in this sight, a better use of tact when discussing things is necessary. Nonya has proven that he doesn't care and that's okay, but it is necessary for the rest of us to prove that we are better than that. Is it ethical to take a shot at that distance with that projectile at that large of game? No. But he did, and just happen to get the right shot off at the right time. Can we prove him wrong, no... none of us were there to witness it being made so we have to take his word for it. I'm defending the rights of others to join into conversation without having to be worried about being hassled. We all say that these types of shots could be made under perfect circumstances, maybe that day happened for him. Call me a Unich, call me spineless, but I know who I am, and what I stand for. If that is wrong, then so be it. I promise this will be my last post on this subject.

Tank

+1. I couldnt have said it any better. Thanks!

He has the longest deer kill with a couple different calibers on the board,guess that makes him worth talkin about,doesnt mean we have to pretend to believe everything posted in the thread:rolleyes:

He has the longest deer kill with a couple different calibers on the board,guess that makes him worth talkin about,doesnt mean we have to pretend to believe everything posted in the thread:rolleyes:

You dont have to believe anything if you dont want to. That is your right. You just dont have to act like a jerk about it. I am not trying to attack or offend you. Just asking you to show some respect.

Always make sure your words are seasoned with salt. This is because every now and then, you will have to eat your own words. It is much more pleasent to eat them when they arent bitter.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.