Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

There is a huge difference in shooting at a target made for open sights at 1000 yards, with a specialty gun for the purpose, and shooting an animal that far with open sights.

+1

I have competed at 1000 yards+ and there is a huge difference in hunting and target
shooting.

On this site we are all trying to build rifles capable of 1500 yard shots and that is good
because it will help the shooter make better hits at long ranges.

I will not get in a debate about some of the shots because I was not there and it does
not matter how far they shot or said they shot, because a long shot is a personal thing.

There is always someone who can out shoot you on any given day so what difference
does it make if one thinks that a shot is impossible.

I was impressed by some of the shots and believe that they were actual because of who
they are.

My best shots are no where near as long as some of the guys but I was impressed and
that's whats important to me.

Deer @ 518 yrds with a custom XP pistol.
Hog @ 841 yrds with Custom 7mm STW.
Mule deer @73 yards with a compound bow.

These are my personal best with each type of weapon.

I have tried to extend those distances with the rifle but so far have not been able to
even get a shot 900+ yards where I live and hunt.

If I lived in some of the north western states my chances would be better but I'm not sure
my abilities would. No doubt the equiptment is capabable.

I also feel that a well though out and executed shot @ 300+ yards is a good shot, So what
is long is a personal Best not what some say is a long shot.

Just my 2 cents

J E CUSTOM

I thought that was what you meant, but I have never heard of anything like that. That is one hunting story at deer camp most wouldn't be able to top. Thanks for telling it.

Elkaholic, side note , she said I CANT BUY ANYMORE ID ELK tags, had em last 4 yrs, can U believe the gall of that women:D

This thread is about long range kills. Not about arguing about if they made the shot or there ethics for taking the shot. I just read through the entire thread and several on here are just attacking others about ethics or if they could make the shot. There are a number of shooters on here who are very good shots with quite a lot of experience with various weapons making things they talk about seem out of the realm to an average guy just getting on here. Lots of practice and thousands of rounds of ammo can get a guy pretty good if he has a bit of talent to begin with.

When I was in high school I collected quite a few dollar bills from my classmates by shooting migrating blackbirds out of the sky with a 22 rimfire and iron sights. It seemed out of the realm to them but I had a nack for it and before long it went through school and the dollar bills dried up. I knew nothing about how fast a blackbird flew or how fast the 22 was or the wind. I just looked at it, thats about right, and shot it. I was out shot many years ago by an ex military sniper shooting a 308 with iron peep sites at 1000 yards. I had a scoped 300 win mag. Now people question me often using a 10 power scope for long range kills. Believe me, that is a lot more than the peep sight I was beaten with. I can go on and on but different people are good at different things and some have talent to do things many think just can't be. Bottom line is don't publicly doubt people on here if you have never met them or seen them shoot. They may just be really good.

To the guy who questioned my ethics. Just understand that me shooting an animal at 100 yards with a bow or 800 yards with a rifle is just as easy to me as you trying to stalk closer than 20 yards to make a kill. I just ask everyone to shoot within there means. I will shoot within mine and if yours aren't in that league, just appreciate it and don't make a fool of yourself on the internet. It is a small world and I have ran across several people off this forum on chance meetings. People who can't do what they say on here eventually will get found out about.

My longest shot to date wasn't on a live animal. It was a buffalo shaped steel plate at 1000 yards. I dialed the dope and droped the hammer. Once me and the guy spotting for me figured out the wind, It was a pretty good time.

The longest cold bore shot I ever made was at an estimated 850 yards according to my rudimentary reticle ranging skills. the target was a rock on the side of a hill in the california desert. the rock was about the size of a basketball. I must admit there was some luck envolved since I had to guess at how tall the rock was. I was also standing in the bed of my truck using the roof as a sort of bench.

3 yards, white tail. 30-06 180 grain accubond. All that practice and precision loading really paid off this year!!!

This thread is about long range kills. Not about arguing about if they made the shot or there ethics for taking the shot. I just read through the entire thread and several on here are just attacking others about ethics or if they could make the shot. There are a number of shooters on here who are very good shots with quite a lot of experience with various weapons making things they talk about seem out of the realm to an average guy just getting on here. Lots of practice and thousands of rounds of ammo can get a guy pretty good if he has a bit of talent to begin with.

When I was in high school I collected quite a few dollar bills from my classmates by shooting migrating blackbirds out of the sky with a 22 rimfire and iron sights. It seemed out of the realm to them but I had a nack for it and before long it went through school and the dollar bills dried up. I knew nothing about how fast a blackbird flew or how fast the 22 was or the wind. I just looked at it, thats about right, and shot it. I was out shot many years ago by an ex military sniper shooting a 308 with iron peep sites at 1000 yards. I had a scoped 300 win mag. Now people question me often using a 10 power scope for long range kills. Believe me, that is a lot more than the peep sight I was beaten with. I can go on and on but different people are good at different things and some have talent to do things many think just can't be. Bottom line is don't publicly doubt people on here if you have never met them or seen them shoot. They may just be really good.

To the guy who questioned my ethics. Just understand that me shooting an animal at 100 yards with a bow or 800 yards with a rifle is just as easy to me as you trying to stalk closer than 20 yards to make a kill. I just ask everyone to shoot within there means. I will shoot within mine and if yours aren't in that league, just appreciate it and don't make a fool of yourself on the internet. It is a small world and I have ran across several people off this forum on chance meetings. People who can't do what they say on here eventually will get found out about.

Well said LTLR !!!!!!

Unfortunately ethics always comes up when someone ask or post on how far is ethical or
how long should one shoot at game.

In my humble opinion the only unethical shot is the one that is made beyond the persons
ability or his equipment's ability at the risk of a poor hit and a wounded animal.

As Clint Eastwood said "A man's got to know his limits".

I have made a few questionable shots and later decided that it was a bad idea even though
I got away with it, and decided never to take a risky shot again.

So Ethics are a personal issue and one has to live with there selves and answer to a higher
authority.

J E CUSTOM

well said ltlr !!!!!!

Unfortunately ethics always comes up when someone ask or post on how far is ethical or
how long should one shoot at game.

In my humble opinion the only unethical shot is the one that is made beyond the persons
ability or his equipment's ability at the risk of a poor hit and a wounded animal.

As clint eastwood said "a man's got to know his limits".

I have made a few questionable shots and later decided that it was a bad idea even though
i got away with it, and decided never to take a risky shot again.

So ethics are a personal issue and one has to live with there selves and answer to a higher
authority.

J e custom

amen!

My farthest shots
Elk 1106 yards with my 300wby Accumark and 200gr Accubonds
Deer 550 yards with the same setup

3 hofs between 240 and 260 yards in TX, using my 308 with 178gr A-maxs at NIGHT with my dad holding a spotlight pointed above them so i can just see them. All three DRT spine shots. I dialed for 240 and held top 1/4 just behind front leg. Worked for me.
Going back in 2weeks, been practicing at least once a week to 400yards on my own property. Will see what the conditions are like and will spend the first few days practicing and confirming drops before i try to take one at 600yards or so.

Some of the shots here are absolutely amazing

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.