Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

Longest deer-920 yards with a M1A 308 open sights, do not remember what load.

****, can you imagine what this guy can do with a Scoped 416 Barrett??? Probably miss high intentionally so that the bullet can go all the way around the world and hit it on the second go around! LMAO!!!!!!:D

-X3M

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents worth. I shot a Springbuck ranged at 380m (415 yards) with a sierra 100gr flatbase prohunter in 243 with a standard 3 - 9 x 40 scope from the fork of a tree. Not so sure I would have the balls to try it again with that equipment. Bullet was found beautifully mushroomed under the skin on the other side. It is not in the same league as you other chaps but I am proud of it!

Not exactly sure on the distance. It was pre laser rangefinder days. I was shooting a 7mm Rem Mag with 154gr Hornady spire point flat base bullets (probably 3175fps or so). I was at around 5500ft elevation and shooting down into the head of a canyon. I was using my duplex reticle as a range finder (changing the magnification to figure the distance). I used a protractor with a paperclip to find the angle. It took me 15 minutes to decide the deer I was looking at was indeed a buck. It took me another 15 minutes to decide it was 32degrees down, and I needed to aim 120" above to make a hit. I always kept that rifle sighted in to hit 2.5" (the length of an empty 7mm RM cartridge) high at 100yds (this would mean a sight in distance of around 260yds).

The shot was somewhere around 875yds, my bullet struck a few inches below my aimpoint and took the top of the buck's heart off. He was a 34.5" spread 4x4 with real short tines.

AJ

****, can you imagine what this guy can do with a Scoped 416 Barrett??? Probably miss high intentionally so that the bullet can go all the way around the world and hit it on the second go around! LMAO!!!!!!:D

-X3M

Here we go again with the negative comments. I guess it is beyond you two (X3M, NONYA business) that there just might be a remote possibility that it is some what possible to make a shot at 920 yards with open sites and kill an animal. I guess you could tell that guy you have probably seen hit an 18" plate on a Buffalo silhouette at 1450 yards with a 45-120 with open sites its impossible. You could also tell the guys that shoot 10" bullseyes with open sites in Palma matches that it isn't possible. I bet you could even insult the lowly snipers of WWI and WWII and Korea that they were unable to protect their fellow soldiers from advancing attack with an Springfield 1903, Jorgansen 30-40 Kraig, M1 Garand because that is all they had at the time picking off the leadership at 1000yrds. Jeesh I wonder how a Civil War sniper managed with only a rifled musket (if they used there own hunting rifle) and the ability to take a Colonel off his horse at an estimated 1000 yards with open sites. I guess it is impossible to be that open minded.

I guess it is impossible to understand that some individuals who have grown up on open sites because they could not afford a scope in their youth. They had to use what they had and learn to use it well. I guess you just might be a bit jealous that it is possible that there is someone out there that might just be a better shot than you two.

But here we are... being little boys doubting a mans ability because you have never tried nor have the ability to meet his ability. Once again the world revolves around two individuals and their innate ability to judge someone else's ability. I wish I could be like you guys... then again, I like the fact that I'm far less superior and have room to grow.

Tank (a.k.a. Spineless Unich)

Last edited:
"Deer at over 700 yards with a AR15 topped with IOR CQB M4 scope, That one was with a 55 grain Wolf hp, spine shot DRT."

you are right I am jealous that Im not shooting 700+ at deer with a round that insnt enough rifle(IMO) at 100 yards...one day maybe,just maybe with enough practice and a little luck Ill take my ar out and drop a bull elk at 1200 yards,if you can break a deers spine at 700 lung shooting an elk ought to be no prblem...I might have to use wolf solids though,we all know those 55 gr HPs are no good beyond 800 yards...And thank God you are here to defend this guy and all those unappreciated snipers from various wars throughout history that we were about to start doubting,what would they do without you?
If you are buying this I have some beach front property here in MT to sell you,I wont even charge extra for the oil and gold deposits...gun)

Last edited:
"If you are buying this I have some beach front property here in MT to sell you,I wont even charge extra for the oil and gold deposits...gun)

SOLD!!! You can pick up my deposit at Fort Knox. Make sure you tell them a Spineless Unich sent you. Make sure you post pics of the Elk you knock down with your AR at 1200 also!!!

Respectfully,
Tank

There are farmers in Namibia (Google it if you have never heard of it - probably the richest hunting grounds in the world) who shoot equally remarkable shots all the time with open sites on old 303 and 7 x 57 etc. Ignorance is a terrible thing - we must educate people to engage their brains before their mouths (pens, keyboards etc)

There are farmers in Namibia (Google it if you have never heard of it - probably the richest hunting grounds in the world) who shoot equally remarkable shots all the time with open sites on old 303 and 7 x 57 etc. Ignorance is a terrible thing - we must educate people to engage their brains before their mouths (pens, keyboards etc)

+1 Dave, going to google that and check out the shooting. Sounds interesting.

Tank

Here we go again with the negative comments. I guess it is beyond you two (X3M, NONYA business) that there just might be a remote possibility that it is some what possible to make a shot at 920 yards with open sites and kill an animal. I guess you could tell that guy you have probably seen hit an 18" plate on a Buffalo silhouette at 1450 yards with a 45-120 with open sites its impossible. You could also tell the guys that shoot 10" bullseyes with open sites in Palma matches that it isn't possible. I bet you could even insult the lowly snipers of WWI and WWII and Korea that they were unable to protect their fellow soldiers from advancing attack with an Springfield 1903, Jorgansen 30-40 Kraig, M1 Garand because that is all they had at the time picking off the leadership at 1000yrds. Jeesh I wonder how a Civil War sniper managed with only a rifled musket (if they used there own hunting rifle) and the ability to take a Colonel off his horse at an estimated 1000 yards with open sites. I guess it is impossible to be that open minded.

I guess it is impossible to understand that some individuals who have grown up on open sites because they could not afford a scope in their youth. They had to use what they had and learn to use it well. I guess you just might be a bit jealous that it is possible that there is someone out there that might just be a better shot than you two.

But here we are... being little boys doubting a mans ability because you have never tried nor have the ability to meet his ability. Once again the world revolves around two individuals and their innate ability to judge someone else's ability. I wish I could be like you guys... then again, I like the fact that I'm far less superior and have room to grow.

Tank (a.k.a. Spineless Unich)

Last edited:
Thanks liltank for making me feel welcome again. I thought that I could talk about my long range kills on this forum and not get made fun of but I see that is not the case. Maybe I will set up a 338 of some type and that will make it all better. I grew up on the farm and have been shooting all my life, so ya I am a good shot. I use the tools that I have and they work. Are they the best? No. but they do work. I am learning more every time I visit forum and plan to set up a 300wsm someday. Hopefully I can continue to post without getting to much flak from x3m and nonya.

Your welcome, all are welcome on this sight. Thanks for sharing your shooting abilities with us!:D

Tank

There is a huge difference in shooting at a target made for open sights at 1000 yards, with a specialty gun for the purpose, and shooting an animal that far with open sights.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.