Longest Coyote Kill

My longest yote is only 362 steps (no rangefinder) about 12 years ago. Made a hasty range estimation based on the rough 440 yd perimeter of the 40 acre field, held over and planted it dead center of the sternum on the small coyote as it stood facing me. Used my Savage Tactical 7mm STW with 140 gr ballistic tip shooting prone with a bipod.

Tim mine is 459 yards with a 243 shooting 55 gr v-max. the day was sunny and he thought he was far enough to be safe.

Neat to hear the stories guys. I'll never forget that dog Eric, man that was a haul and a half to get him to the top of that butte--and then skinned!

880 yards (he was standing right at the half mile fenceline) with my savage model 10 in 308 win, wind was 22mph left to right, 20 below zero, last February. Held 8 mil high and 6 mil left, made a small prayer to the hunting gods, squeezed the trigger and 1 1/2 seconds later the unsuspecting song dog spun around 5 times ran ten yards then piled up dead as a doornail...
I think I was almost as suprised as the coyote was.... Previous to that my furthest one shot kill on a coyote was 740 with my 25-06, and that was on a windless morning everything was perfect... Took the time to get a good rest, range him and dial in my elevation...
I never actually expected to hit the bugger With just hold overs and all in that wind (I know that probably isn't the best hunting etiquette... :rolleyes: .... Shooting when you aren't sure you're gonna make a clean kill and all). However it just amazes me how sometimes when you remove all that pressure on yourself and overthinking the whole shot, then the muscle memory and subconscious take over and everything just works.
I have been known to clean miss coyotes at 100 yards on gimme shots on occasion because of the whole overthinking it problem... :D

Orch

My longest Coyote kill was this year, the last weekend of August. It was only 83 yards. OK, that is not really "long range".... Unless you do it with a bow and arrow! We were elk hunting in Oregon and on the way out we spotted a coyote mousing. He never saw us. My buddy ranged him at 83, so I drew back and let the arrow fly. Wack! He went about 150 yards and that's all she wrote.

My longest this year was one in this pic. 383 yards running away with 7mm stw & 168 berger.
My longest this week is the one at night was a 300 yard head shot in the dark with 22-250 & 40 grn v-max.

Attachments

• dc206f18-09c2-4571-b817-b4fbee359230.jpg
    dc206f18-09c2-4571-b817-b4fbee359230.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 75
  • b57645d8-bce0-4d1b-a1be-d3762293b76e.jpg
    b57645d8-bce0-4d1b-a1be-d3762293b76e.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 93
Got this one at 580 with a Ruger M77 30-06 165sst with a Mueller TacII scope. He was walking straight away from me and the bullet hit him in the spine traveled up his neck and out the top of his snout. I did not know if I had hit him or not because he was gone when I recovered from the shot and could not walk to him because he was across the canyon. 24hrs later I could not take it anymore so I went on a road trip, and there he was. Just a young guy.

Attachments

• etc 023.jpg
    etc 023.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 83
My farthest was about a month ago. Every morning and evening the coyotes were crossing a levee running tothe river between two corn fields. I set up as far away as I could hoping to get a long shot. The end or the levee was 850 yards. I was shooting my Remington 700 in 300 WM loaded with Berger 190 gr. VLDs at 3075 fps. The coyote crossed at a ditch running into the corn field. I had seen him cross at that spot the previous evening but couldn't get on him quick enough. But figuring he would cross there again, I ranged the spot at 508 yds. and dialed in the Nightforce 5.5x22x56 in for that distance and dialed in 1 MOA left wind. At dusky dark he showed up just wher I hopef he be. At the shot he dropped out of sight into the grass. I drove down to confirm the hit. It was too dark to see the entrance hole but there was no doubt where it came out. It almost completely blew off the far hip and leg. Unfortunately by the next weekend they had the corn picked.

I shot this guy a couple weeks ago while on a deer hunt,
942 yards with a 300 grn SMK out of a .338 Edge

Attachments

• coyote.jpg
    coyote.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 83
MinE is from 350 yards. 22-250 Stevens 200 hammering with a 45 gr hp at 4000 fps ear shot. Entered just below the ear and no exit. It was sweet he dropped and then heard the gun. I love it!

Not many yotes around here so i'll have to substitute fox, plenty of them.

670 yards
6br
107smk

will be picking up the mount in a few weeks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.