Longest Coyote Kill

Not long but funny. Turkey hunting in spring of 2011. Decoy out 20 yards, worst spring snow storm we have had in years. Yote decides to check out turkey decoy. DRT at 20 yards. Time to leave, tie rope around waist & yote head for the drag to truck. 500 yards, notice 4 Toms & a bunch of hens. I am between a fence line & snow has given me good cover. I try to un-tie knot around waist & it has become very tight with the weight of yote. Cant get it un tied for the life of me. Decide to make a stalk on Turkeys dragging a freshly killed Coyote. I stalked 100 yards or so dragging this thing. Believe it or not Turkeys let me get to 40 yards. Load of # 5's do the Tom in, DRT. At this point I forget I am dragging a yote & go to run as turkey was flopping around, the weigh reminded me of what I was dragging for 100 yards. My hunting buddies got a kick out of it. Made for good pics with a Tom & Coyote in same pic

Last edited:
Kinda same thing happened to me turkey hunting in 2010, I had a coyote come in from over 200 yards to about 5 yards from my decoys, thats when he realized something wasn't right. He spun around and ran off a couple of yards then stopped to take another look,thats when the load of #4's from my 10 gauge hit him. When I got the skull back from the taxidermist, I found his 2 front teeth were gone and 1 tiny little hole in his forehead, and the pelt is in awesome shape, no big hole but just a bunch of tiny little ones.

Called one in out of a fog bank in north east TX he saw me and stoped looking straight at me I aimed at the top of his head and let loose a 45 grain hp from the 22-250 he yelped and did a backflip it hit him in the chest found him the next mourning and ranged to the tree i was sitting under 425 yds

REM 700 SF 204 40X STOCK 35GR BERGER WITH A LITTLE VARGET DEAD YOTE! 336 YDS LAYING IN THE SHADE!
STACYgun)

Just took one 3 weeks ago at 530 yds, he was shot off of a carcass of a mule deer I took at 1185 yds. Savage116, Criterion barrel, 300 win mag 197 gn VLD Huskemaw 5x20 Blue Diamond. shot right thru shoulder! Jay

I got one a few weeks ago at 653yds. I've shot steel many times way further than that, but that was my first real long range animal. Ranged it, dialed it, held the wind and dumped it on the spot. 30 Gibbs. 155gr SMK. I was pretty happy about it.

Have shot a few at 350+ over the years with 22-250 with holdover guesses.

I'd like to see the math on that one.

Before the clearcut grew up so we couldn't see it there was a waterfall that would freeze. This was in Sitka. It was around 600+ yards away. Using a Ranging 1000 range finder. This was pre electronic consumer laser range finders. It took me 4 shots with the iron sights to get the on the desired impact point. With my new purchased Chinese SKS. I paid 68$ for it in the factory cosmoline. I could keep most of my shots in a 3'x3' square. Many of them in a 1'square.

Obviously that is in no way sniper accurate. But we were amazed at how well it shot with surplus ammo.

Hopefully, soon I can afford a long range rifle and scope so I can learn how to make the kind of shots y'all are doing. The math is kind of daunting to me so I'm looking at the Horus reticule and the Ziess 1000 reticule.

395yds. Remmy 700 with a Brux tube and tuned factory trigger in 270win. Trotting across the aflalfa field. Bang, flop. Tiny hole on the near side... big mess on the other side.

Doubled up this morning. Went out set up and started calling with my 13 yr daughter. I saw a Yote running across the wheat stubble at about 1000yds running straight to us. I wanted her to shoot so i kept calling and he stopped at 200yds or so. I told her to hold on him and right before i said shoot i saw two other coyotes on the hill the first one had came from I told her to hold off a sec. I ranged the yote at 619yds. I cranked the scope put the crosshairs on the one i was going to shoot. Both the coyotes on the hill were sitting watching the one in front of us. She shot rolled hers with her little 243 the one i was going to shoot stood i lit off the 257 WTBY and then a second later heard the bullet hit. It was a great morning we got 7 coyotes total today. I have pictures of hers it was her first called in she has shot a couple during deer season but never with me calling so it was cool. Got all of them skinned stratched fleshed and salted before i came in tonight so i will be busy tanning the hides this week.

How do i get a picture to post on here???

Thanks Fella's

Doubled up this morning. Went out set up and started calling with my 13 yr daughter. I saw a Yote running across the wheat stubble at about 1000yds running straight to us. I wanted her to shoot so i kept calling and he stopped at 200yds or so. I told her to hold on him and right before i said shoot i saw two other coyotes on the hill the first one had came from I told her to hold off a sec. I ranged the yote at 619yds. I cranked the scope put the crosshairs on the one i was going to shoot. Both the coyotes on the hill were sitting watching the one in front of us. She shot rolled hers with her little 243 the one i was going to shoot stood i lit off the 257 WTBY and then a second later heard the bullet hit. It was a great morning we got 7 coyotes total today. I have pictures of hers it was her first called in she has shot a couple during deer season but never with me calling so it was cool. Got all of them skinned stratched fleshed and salted before i came in tonight so i will be busy tanning the hides this week.

How do i get a picture to post on here???

Thanks Fella's

Here is the link with step by step instructions on how to load pics from your computer.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/how-upload-pictures-directly-your-computer-lrh-72144/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.