Long Range Varmint Rifle Tikka or Remington?

lgraham

I want to buy a new rifle for long range varmint hunting, coyotes/rockchucks out to 500/600 yards. I am looking at getting either the Remington SPS Varmint Stainless or the regular plain Tikka T3 Stainless and was wondering if anyone had advise about which of the two ( or other guns) to get. If I go the Remington route I plan to glass bed the stock and do a trigger job. Also, I have decided on a .243 and plan to reload for the gun, but am open to other suggestions if there is a better caliber suited to this application. I would like to stay away from getting something too spendy or going the custom route. So would a reasonable priced factory gun in .243 (like those listed above) achieve the accuracy that is needed for hunting at this range? Also, I'm left handed if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any input,
Luke

I want to buy a new rifle for long range varmint hunting, coyotes/rockchucks out to 500/600 yards. I am looking at getting either the Remington SPS Varmint Stainless or the regular plain Tikka T3 Stainless and was wondering if anyone had advise about which of the two ( or other guns) to get. If I go the Remington route I plan to glass bed the stock and do a trigger job. Also, I have decided on a .243 and plan to reload for the gun, but am open to other suggestions if there is a better caliber suited to this application. I would like to stay away from getting something too spendy or going the custom route. So would a reasonable priced factory gun in .243 (like those listed above) achieve the accuracy that is needed for hunting at this range? Also, I'm left handed if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any input,
Luke
Good choices. I'd also say give the .260 Remington and 6.5 creedmore a look. Better ballistics and also very reasonably priced ammo/components.

Luke,
While either of those rifles will make fine LR Varmint rigs, don't overlook the Savage line. In my younger days I was strictly a "Remington Man!" (dunt dunta duh...big R on the chest) and I touted the mistacle, magic powers of the Remington rifle (silly boy). I have chilled out over the years and I try not to be biased toward any make of firearm. I have shot a lot of different rifles over the years and have figured out I like them all.

I presently own two Savages (12BVSS/6.5-284; converted to 12VLP, 112BVSS/.300WM), two Remingtons (Sendero SF/.25-06 and 700P/7mmRM) and one bad arse Winchester 70 HVB/.243.

If I were to purchase another rifle for the application/range you stated, it would be another Savage. My list to choose from would consist of 12LRPV, 12 F Class, 12Benchrest Dual Port - available in 6mmNorma BR/w 8" twist or the 12VLP (.243) or 12 LRP, available in .243, .260. The LRP is available in 6.5Creedmore but I can't recommend it as I have no history or experience with this caliber.

Good luck whichever way you turn. JohnnyK.

Thanks for any input,
Luke

I have a Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .243win and it will give me bullet on bullet at 200yds all day every day. I have taken a 704yd hare with it and many 4-500yd rabbits. The accuracy of the Tikka's is almost legendary.

I have a friend that shoots factory Tikkas and look at what he can do with them.

Tikka's are a workhorse, they are not fancy with all the bells and whistles but they really do shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts