Remington SPS Long Range Rifle

jonesse91

Does anybody have any experience with this new rifle from remington yet? Seems new for 2012 and comes in 25-06, 7mm rem mag, and 300 mag. and runs about 750$

Seems to be a varmint model with larger cartidges. I've got a few buddies that have the SPS and they seem to be decent shooters.

The regular SPS models are the sorriest examples of Rem 700's that were ever produced

Ha-ha-ha!
The regular models are definitely not their best work, I was just saying they shoot decently enough. Especially the tac models.

The regular SPS models are the sorriest examples of Rem 700's that were ever produced

30 years ago you would have never seen Remington put the stuff, they are turning out now, on a retail shelf. Remiington wonders why Savage's market share continues to grow.

They seem to be going along the lines of making the guns more available at a certain price point. Considering the consumer reviews of their guns, I wonder how Remington feels this is working out for them? To sell a long reputation of quality for a few shares of the market at a lower price point does not seem to be the way I would go. But what do I know, I am not a CEO of a company like this.

That being said, I would take the money and buy a Savage.

Before we end up turning this thread into the long old debate of "Chevy vs Ford", I am a long supporter of Remington and love their guns. But I know when I see a good product.

I've been a longtime fan of The Remington 700. I guess it started when I was little and I looked longingly at my fathers hunting rifle. since then I've grown to love the action. That being Said. I'm not at all impressed with the newer 700s. I currently have 3 and have had up to 6 at one time, but I lean toward the older models. They seem to have been done right. 2 are customs and one is a early model VLS. All are extremely accurate.

I'm saddened to see Remington go this direction. Until things improve, I'll keep picking up the old ones as I find them and turning them into what I want. There isn't a big company out there building exactly what I want anyway.

Dan

I've been a longtime fan of The Remington 700. I guess it started when I was little and I looked longingly at my fathers hunting rifle. since then I've grown to love the action. That being Said. I'm not at all impressed with the newer 700s. I currently have 3 and have had up to 6 at one time, but I lean toward the older models. They seem to have been done right. 2 are customs and one is a early model VLS. All are extremely accurate.

I'm saddened to see Remington go this direction. Until things improve, I'll keep picking up the old ones as I find them and turning them into what I want. There isn't a big company out there building exactly what I want anyway.

Dan
Well said! I have a Remington 700 BDL that was built in the early 80's. It still is in it's original factory condition. It's 10 times the gun that anything Remington is putting out right now. I want to break it down and use the action, but I have a hard time since it was my first rifle and was given to me by my dad.

Yea I gotta agree the 700s today are not what they used to be. I have four of them today. I bought a sendero for $1049.00 that had a blocked off extractor that would not grab the rim of the cartrige. Had to have a gun smith fix that. Once I started shooting the sendero with a leupold mark 4 on it I found that my old 700 ADL a cheap redfield that I killed my first buck with shoots tighter groups. So now I am having a gun smith redo the crown and some glass bedding. We will see how that goes. That extracter issue seems like something that should not have gotten by quality control.
Here is a stupid question, hopefully I can get an honest answer. Whatever happened to the Model 70s? I have not heard much about them lately. Do they have any good precision models out?

Yea I gotta agree the 700s today are not what they used to be. I have four of them today. I bought a sendero for $1049.00 that had a blocked off extractor that would not grab the rim of the cartrige. Had to have a gun smith fix that. Once I started shooting the sendero with a leupold mark 4 on it I found that my old 700 ADL a cheap redfield that I killed my first buck with shoots tighter groups. So now I am having a gun smith redo the crown and some glass bedding. We will see how that goes. That extracter issue seems like something that should not have gotten by quality control.
Here is a stupid question, hopefully I can get an honest answer. Whatever happened to the Model 70s? I have not heard much about them lately. Do they have any good precision models out?

The modeal 70s are up and running again, only now they are built by FN in South Carolina. They build some nice looking and feeling rifles. The closest thing they have to the Sendero is the Coyote and coyote lite models chambered in WSM. I'd be willing to try a suppressed Coyote in 300 WSM.

Model 70 -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Family

My oldest 700 is my "new" toy 7STW Custom rifle, it has a 1962 action, my next oldest was that hunting rifle of my fathers, now a Custom .30-06 AI Built in 1970. My newest is the VLS in .243 Win it was built in 1994. It is an awesome rifle.

I have a knack of finding old 700s. I've purchased several over the last few years and fixed them up and they were either gifted or sold to friends and relatives. All have been excellent shooters and all see lots of hunting time each fall. We don't see many new rifles in the circles I run with. I'm usually the one who is forever working on the rifles makeing them better, glassing the stocks, etc..... alot of the newer technology didn't exhist back then, but it seems that they got lots of thing right back then and cared about the quality more than anything.

I can only hope that they are lisitening and will open their eyes to the realities of the day. A name only gets you so far.....

Dan

This is kind of open ended but how well does the model 70 stealth and the 700 sendero compare? Are they comparable? Is one better than the other?

Hey guys new to this forum, but have been glancing at all the good info on here. I recently got a new SPS .300wm last year and I personally have had a good experience with this rifle. I haven't got to shoot it at the ranges you guys are able to shoot at, but at 450yrds I was easily able to pop coke bottles with it. At that yardage I met the limitation of my small 3-9x 40mm nikon prostaff. I do plan on replacing the ultra light stock and probably the Xpro trigger, but the barrel and action seem to be doing a pretty good job so far. Maybe I just got lucky with this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.