6.5 Creedmoor The Ultimate Long Range Varmint and Coyote Rifle?

LDHunter

Before I get too many feathers ruffled I'm not disrespecting the 6.5 Creed's ability to take deer up to and and including whitetails and possibly including muleys but I'm also thinking because of it having the ultimate (to date) BC for medium to lightweight bullets I'm thinking of buying a Remington 5R Gen 2 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for long range target, varmints and coyotes.

I tried finding true varmint bullets for the 6.5 caliber and came up with only the TNT 90gr but the BC is only .281 which is low for what I want since my focus will be 300 plus yards out to 800 or so. I already have a 243 and 223 that can easily handle up to and a bit beyond that range so I really want a reasonably high BC bullet for 300-800yds use.

Does anyone have any thoughts for that type of shooting? Should I not worry about using bullets designed for medium game and just get some of those or has someone run across a bullet(s) designed for the purpose I'm talking about? I've used hunting bullets for varmints before with good results but the spectacular terminal performance of a true varmint bullet ensures more reliable and more spectacular results.

Also if anyone has any load data with velocities with something lighter than 120gr I'd appreciate some help here.

Oh.... And one more thing... If I go this route will a 30 caliber suppressor work well with a 6.5 caliber or should I look at getting one for both calibers?

TIA....

I just started using a 22-250 with a 1X7.7 twist barrel, I'm pushing 75gr eld's at 3230, the bc is listed as 467. With a 200 yard zero I'm dialing 14 3/4 for 800 yards. Only coyote taken so far was 397 yards facing me, hit a bit high as the bullet came out the back of its neck instead of going in the chest cavity, base ball size exit. I have 30 cal suppressors and a 223 cal suppressor both work but to my ear the 223 one is a bit quieter

Hornady makes both a 95 gen Bt Vmax and a 100 gen Eldm.

I'm sure the Vmax would blow up varmints nicely.

WOW! I wasn't aware of that.... I'll check it out. Hopefully the BC will be favorable.

*** EDIT *** Ok.. The BC is 365 and I'm not sure you'd get much better from a 6.5 bullet this light... I'll include a box in my next order if I don't find something I like better. Midway has 22 reviews on this bullet and every one is a 5 star review.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...mm-264-diameter-95-grain-boat-tail-box-of-100

Last edited:
I use my 6.5 for coyote hunting for the very reason that I have the umph for long shots. I use the 143eldx and so far it's worked excellently on coyotes.
If you wanted to flatten the trajectory the 123eld has a nice bc and should flatten coyotes. I've also been interested in experimenting with the 107 smk on dogs

I use my 6.5 for coyote hunting for the very reason that I have the umph for long shots. I use the 143eldx and so far it's worked excellently on coyotes.
If you wanted to flatten the trajectory the 123eld has a nice bc and should flatten coyotes. I've also been interested in experimenting with the 107 smk on dogs

Yep... I am thinking of just not worrying about explosive terminal performance and after doing a lot of reading bullets manufacturers websites I think I may try the Sierra 130gr Tipped Match King.

I am so pumped about what happened today when I went in our biggest gun store for many miles around here and asked it they, by any chance, had a Model 700 5R Gen 2 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and much to my surprise not only did they have one I could inspect and handle but their price was better than the online prices I've seen so out came my wallet and within a half hour I was walking out the door with it.

My take on this rifle so far is that it's simply a Model 700 PSS with the shallow fluting of an LTR and an all stainless action and barrel with Trinyte coating. I have always had a love affair with all the 700 PSS and LTR rifles and almost all of the most accurate rifles, regardless of price, that I've ever owned have been one or the other if I skim bedded the aluminum bedding blocks in the HS Precision stocks and put in a good trigger set at about 2 pounds.

One more question for those that have managed to wade through my babbling about my new rifle. Should I just bite the bullet and buy some Lapua brass right up front rather than wasting my time on the Hornady stuff?

Yep... I am thinking of just not worrying about explosive terminal performance and after doing a lot of reading bullets manufacturers websites I think I may try the Sierra 130gr Tipped Match King.

I am so pumped about what happened today when I went in our biggest gun store for many miles around here and asked it they, by any chance, had a Model 700 5R Gen 2 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and much to my surprise not only did they have one I could inspect and handle but their price was better than the online prices I've seen so out came my wallet and within a half hour I was walking out the door with it.

My take on this rifle so far is that it's simply a Model 700 PSS with the shallow fluting of an LTR and an all stainless action and barrel with Trinyte coating. I have always had a love affair with all the 700 PSS and LTR rifles and almost all of the most accurate rifles, regardless of price, that I've ever owned have been one or the other if I skim bedded the aluminum bedding blocks in the HS Precision stocks and put in a good trigger set at about 2 pounds.

One more question for those that have managed to wade through my babbling about my new rifle. Should I just bite the bullet and buy some Lapua brass right up front rather than wasting my time on the Hornady stuff?
If ur going to use small primer then go with lapua right away. I use hornady, have a bad batch that I'm shelving and a good batch of 180 brass that's excellent. I'd weigh what you have, see how consistent it is then decide from there.

I had good accuracy with 130eldm and they worked well on coyotes. Used them to break my rifle in.

Last edited:
If you are varmint hunting and going for speed use Hornady brass. It has more case capacity. Lapua is more consistent but not a big deal for varmints.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.