Need a started long range varmint and coyote rifle!

matt_3479

At the moment i have no money for custom, so that will come later down the road. I go out every year to coyote hunt but i alway have to bring a 22LR and a 12 gauge hoping i can get them close enough. Finally i have had enough and im investing my money in a varmint rifle. I have the opportunity for shots way past lethal range for the majority of calibers but also so close its uncomfortable. I want a rifle that will be good for medium range shots, but will do what it needs when it comes up close and personal and also reach way out there when the time calls for it. I want to use this rifle for target shooting at long range as well. I was thinking of going with a standard 243. win, no fancy cartridges cause i dont have the money to custom. I figure the 243. win is decently cheap, popular, easy to load, and comes in many variety's. Has good range of bullets, can custom it later down the road to something like a 243. AI or something.

I want to know what your thoughts are on the 243. win for medium to long range varmint hunting and target practice? There are plenty of chances for shots well past 1000 yards but im only comfortable with targets out to around 700, so shots will be limited for hunting to within 500, 600 yards max and 700-800 yards target.

Savage has some very good starter rifles chambered in .243 for under $500. I think that your choice in caliber is excellent.

6.5 wsm, 6.5 wssm, 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, 6.5-280......why not just go with a .264 (6.5) of some kind? I think you can get dies off the shelf for the 6.5-06.
Nothing wrong with the .243, (or the .243wssm) either, but the .264 has way higher B.C. bullets to choose from vs the 6mm.
Or work up a light and fast load for your 7mag I read about in another post a while back while you decide.

The 243 is a wise choice, real simple and straight forward! If your looking at reaching out there you'll want to watch the twist rate, a lot of the varmint style rifles are slower twist for light speedy bullets. A heavier barrel but short is great, it steadies well and you can track on a dog also if you keep the length down.

If I had the coin I would go with that 40 Turbo in an AR platform, I can't think of a better way to be set up for shooting dogs!!!

My current rifle is a 270 WSM with 110 TTSX, I can shoot them as far as I can see them, and it hits them with authority like nothing I've shot a coyote with, but it's not a typical coyote rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.