6.5 Creedmoor The Ultimate Long Range Varmint and Coyote Rifle?

Your thread doesn't really make sense but if you want to pursue it you need to define some parameters. Do you want high velocity varmint rounds or do you want long rang high bc rounds? The chipmunks take quite a bit to become squirrels.

I'd say the 6.5CR is more of a varmint, antelope, deer gun, only up to moderate ranges based on bullet diameter and velocity. Keep it simple.

Before I get too many feathers ruffled I'm not disrespecting the 6.5 Creed's ability to take deer up to and and including whitetails and possibly including muleys but I'm also thinking because of it having the ultimate (to date) BC for medium to lightweight bullets I'm thinking of buying a Remington 5R Gen 2 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for long range target, varmints and coyotes.

I tried finding true varmint bullets for the 6.5 caliber and came up with only the TNT 90gr but the BC is only .281 which is low for what I want since my focus will be 300 plus yards out to 800 or so. I already have a 243 and 223 that can easily handle up to and a bit beyond that range so I really want a reasonably high BC bullet for 300-800yds use.

Does anyone have any thoughts for that type of shooting? Should I not worry about using bullets designed for medium game and just get some of those or has someone run across a bullet(s) designed for the purpose I'm talking about? I've used hunting bullets for varmints before with good results but the spectacular terminal performance of a true varmint bullet ensures more reliable and more spectacular results.

Also if anyone has any load data with velocities with something lighter than 120gr I'd appreciate some help here.

Oh.... And one more thing... If I go this route will a 30 caliber suppressor work well with a 6.5 caliber or should I look at getting one for both calibers?

TIA....
If you want a good varmint bullet look at the Hornady Amax, Vmax, and Ballistic Tip.

Really any target bullet will work as well. If you don't care about hites the polymer tips and OTM/HP's are great, if you are concerned with pelt quality look at the FMJ's. Keep in mind that at high velocity and close range even FMJ's will pop small varmints like a balloon.

Maybe it is just me but I am tired of the debate of how good the 6.5 Creedmoor is or isn't. Not to pick on OP, but thread titles with 'best' or 'ultimate' help create this as it brings people on both extremes into the discussion, often with their claws out.

I am not knocking the 6.5cr as I have one and love it. It is similar in performance to a 260 Rem with lots more industry backing and components available. It has less killing power than cartridges that will outperform the 260 and more killing power than cartridges that are outperformed by the 260. Nothing more, nothing less. I just have fatigue on the discussions and I get the sense that many others feel the same way.

Maybe it is just me but I am tired of the debate of how good the 6.5 Creedmoor is or isn't. Not to pick on OP, but thread titles with 'best' or 'ultimate' help create this as it brings people on both extremes into the discussion, often with their claws out.

I am not knocking the 6.5cr as I have one and love it. It is similar in performance to a 260 Rem with lots more industry backing and components available. It has less killing power than cartridges that will outperform the 260 and more killing power than cartridges that are outperformed by the 260. Nothing more, nothing less. I just have fatigue on the discussions and I get the sense that many others feel the same way.
It's getting ridiculous. Maybe we should change the name to 6.5x250 improved?

Lol I never thought about the title.
I used to sling 90gr blitzkings from my 257 at 3550fps(going off memory) run the ballistics on that and not much beats it on coyotes, but accuracy was an issue.
Everybody sure gets their knickers in a bunch over a name. Reminds of Harry Potter and don't say, 'Voldemort' lol

I guess I should have qualified better. I'm looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor as the "ultimate" (yeah yeah I know.... that word annoys some people) non-magnum long range deliverer of bullets that has a plethora of factory ammo, brass, and bullets available and that will likely survive to be available for many years to come.

If that makes sense then I'll go further to state that the long range accuracy comes first in my list of important ballistic features and after that I'd like to have a bullet designed for great accuracy with a good BC but still having a fragile enough construction to come apart upon impact and act like a true varmint bullet will on impact.

I know it might never happen because the usual varmint type bullets are light for caliber to help achieve high velocity to maximize the explosive terminal characteristics of the varmint bullet.

So for now it appears that I haven't found precisely what I'm looking for so I'll settle for the best accuracy I can wring out of the cartridge/rifle combination and rely on the caliber for moderately devastating terminal performance.

Well... Despite all advice given and noted I am ordering a few boxes of Federal Gold Medal ammo with the Sierra 140gr SMK bullets. The Federal Gold Medal Match 308 ammo with the Sierra 168 Match Kings shoot a fairly reliable 1/4" group in my LTR and ridiculously well at 300 and I just couldn't pass up the chance that the Fed GMM's mentioned about will shoot equally as well in my Creedmore. I've read some excellent reviews of that ammo. I'll let y'all know when I get a chance to shoot them.

Of course I'll still be looking for rounds with a varmint type rating for the 6.5 Creedmoor but for now I'll hopefully be getting a scope sighted in and shooting well with what I've ordered.

Thanks again to all for your input. All listened to carefully. This is a totally new cartridge to me and I have high hopes for some long range shooting with it. My hunting lease offers some 600 yard shooting and I'm itching to stretch it out and see how it does. I have access to another lease with 800 and up to 1200 yards into a hillside and that will be the real chance to stretch it out.

I went with the 6C in a Savage tactical 110 because here in IL the big bullets from the '06 made me pass up shots at coyotes. It shot .256" 3 shot groups at 100 Yards right out of the box. Does real good at 925 yards too. Just need a coyote to make a mistake and get out in the open.

In my opinion the 6.5 c is over rated except for long range target shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.