Build me the ultimate long range rig!

Tyler Kemp

Good news, I took the ACT as a mandatory sophomore thing, and got a 29 without even studying or using too much thought, dad said if I get a 31 (big scholarship stuff) he would "think about" a custom long range rig for a graduation present. So basically, what would be the best combination of somewhat affordable components, what would they be, and what cartridge for deer and other game that size that is still economical to shoot. This would be a full out custom rifle, tell me everything I need, I have never done this before, so I want to have it all planned out for when the end of my senior year rolls around.

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited:
build a custom off a 700 action, put a krieger, and a mcmillan on it. It will be a cheaper custom, but still drive tacks.

I hope you didn't get a 29 on the SAT! PSAT or ACT maybe...the only one that would be a good score on is the ACT though.

But either way, good luck with the long range rig!

I 2nd Redbone, Kirby all the way. I have two of his, a 270 AM and a 338 AM. You will need to handload for the wildcats, if not reloading, then ask Kirby what he can do in standard cal.

ACT. I feel dumb!

Kids:confused:

I have an APS 270 AM also. Super good rig though I wouldn't recommend it for you. Barrel life is shorter than some, you'd have it shot out in a good weekend.:D

I'd recommend a rifle in something other than an "extreme" cartridge as the Allen Magnums definitely are. Case life is short etc.

Also the extreme wildcats take more time to prep cases etc and more time developing drop charts to the extreme distances they will shoot. These activities would take place about the same time as you're being subjected to the most extreme wild cats in great numbers.................................Girls!:D

Get the rifle set up first class in something like a RUM cartridge probably a 300 or maybe a 7 or even an Edge. Then when when you are ready to do more killin' than shootin' rebarrel to one of the extremes.

Also get the fore end finished at 2.1" and you'll be able to use the same bipod which will go out early next week.;)

My bipod is coming. :D

My next barrel will be 7mm STW...no RUM...no STW...can't decide, I hear conflicting numbers on which is better.

If I like the cartridge I would probably stick with a 7mm, as I like the BC in the 7mm's until the 338, which costs a good bit more to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.