6.5 Creedmoor The Ultimate Long Range Varmint and Coyote Rifle?

Agreed! But I do not think it will make any difference. I just ignore or filter it and move on.
I dont get into the peeing matches anymore. Nothing you say will change their minds why bother. I just dont get the hate. Good lord it's a rifle cartridge. I've got alot better things to do than hate on something that ultimately doesnt really matter. Shoot what you want, learn it and be effective with it.

I dont get into the peeing matches anymore. Nothing you say will change their minds why bother. I just dont get the hate. Good lord it's a rifle cartridge. I've got alot better things to do than hate on something that ultimately doesnt really matter. Shoot what you want, learn it and be effective with it.

I don't either but I supposed it's human nature.

Agreed completely... Some people have nothing better to do that sit at their keyboard and criticize others. I grew out of worrying what other people say and do a very long time ago. If I find a post offensive I just move on to read and sometimes talk about things I find interesting.

Haters gonna hate and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it but ignore them which I've become pretty darned good at. There are a LOT of people on here that will offer their opinions and experiences without thinking that their way is the only way and I'm here to share knowledge and experiences with them.

Just a thought. I'm thinking a 123 eld-m loaded with a powder that will give near 100% case fill for maximum velocity would work great. I'm thinking possibly rl-22? I think rl-17 will be too fast for a full case. Rl-26 is too slow. A 123 in the ball park of 3150 would be awesome. Great now I'm going to have to try this! Like I need to do any more bullet testing

Code:
Cartridge          : 6.5 Creedmoor
Bullet             : .264, 123, Hornady ELD-M 26176
Useable Case Capaci: 46.783 grain H2O = 3.038 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.800 inch = 71.12 mm
Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm

Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders.
Matching Maximum Pressure: 62000 psi, or 427 MPa
or a maximum loading ratio or filling of 103 %
These calculations refer to your specified settings in QuickLOAD 'Cartridge Dimensions' window.
C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that falls below minimum suggested
loads or exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand
that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet
and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations.
USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !

9 loads produced a Loading Ratio below user-defined minimum of 80%. These powders have been skipped.
Powder type          Filling/Loading Ratio  Charge    Charge   Vel. Prop.Burnt P max  P muzz  B_Time
                                      %     Grains    Gramm   fps     %       psi     psi    ms
---------------------------------  -----------------------------------------------------------------
Alliant RL17                        95.5     43.2     2.80    2959   100.0    62000   10757   1.044  ! Near Maximum !
Alliant RL26                       103.0     47.8     3.09    2947    99.3    56765   11924   1.087  ! Near Maximum !
Alliant RL16                       101.9     42.8     2.77    2926   100.0    62000   10626   1.055  ! Near Maximum !
Ramshot Hunter                     100.1     44.6     2.89    2908    98.7    62000   10929   1.055  ! Near Maximum !

.......Agreed! But I do not think it will make any difference. I just ignore or filter it and move on.......

For those just recently arriving at the party-it doesn't end, there'll be a new-improved product available soon that will render even the 6.5 Creedmoor obsolete. Billy Mays will be reincarnated to add his enthusiasm to the late night ads, and internet sales.

Before I get too many feathers ruffled I'm not disrespecting the 6.5 Creed's ability to take deer up to and and including whitetails and possibly including muleys but I'm also thinking because of it having the ultimate (to date) BC for medium to lightweight bullets I'm thinking of buying a Remington 5R Gen 2 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for long range target, varmints and coyotes.

I tried finding true varmint bullets for the 6.5 caliber and came up with only the TNT 90gr but the BC is only .281 which is low for what I want since my focus will be 300 plus yards out to 800 or so. I already have a 243 and 223 that can easily handle up to and a bit beyond that range so I really want a reasonably high BC bullet for 300-800yds use.

Does anyone have any thoughts for that type of shooting? Should I not worry about using bullets designed for medium game and just get some of those or has someone run across a bullet(s) designed for the purpose I'm talking about? I've used hunting bullets for varmints before with good results but the spectacular terminal performance of a true varmint bullet ensures more reliable and more spectacular results.

Also if anyone has any load data with velocities with something lighter than 120gr I'd appreciate some help here.

Oh.... And one more thing... If I go this route will a 30 caliber suppressor work well with a 6.5 caliber or should I look at getting one for both calibers?

TIA....
Before I get too many feathers ruffled I'm not disrespecting the 6.5 Creed's ability to take deer up to and and including whitetails and possibly including muleys but I'm also thinking because of it having the ultimate (to date) BC for medium to lightweight bullets I'm thinking of buying a Remington 5R Gen 2 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for long range target, varmints and coyotes.

I tried finding true varmint bullets for the 6.5 caliber and came up with only the TNT 90gr but the BC is only .281 which is low for what I want since my focus will be 300 plus yards out to 800 or so. I already have a 243 and 223 that can easily handle up to and a bit beyond that range so I really want a reasonably high BC bullet for 300-800yds use.

Does anyone have any thoughts for that type of shooting? Should I not worry about using bullets designed for medium game and just get some of those or has someone run across a bullet(s) designed for the purpose I'm talking about? I've used hunting bullets for varmints before with good results but the spectacular terminal performance of a true varmint bullet ensures more reliable and more spectacular results.

Also if anyone has any load data with velocities with something lighter than 120gr I'd appreciate some help here.

Oh.... And one more thing... If I go this route will a 30 caliber suppressor work well with a 6.5 caliber or should I look at getting one for both calibers?

TIA....
I have a Howa H.C.R. in 6.5 Creedmoore with a 6.5-24x50 vortex viper scope and I dropped my cow elk at 450 yards which dressed out at 600 pounds don't under estimate the creedmoores power at ranges when it comes to large animals. I do recommend NOT using hollow points when taking large game animals if ya going to eat it. I lost the complete left front quarter and left brisket on my cow.

....I do recommend NOT using hollow points when taking large game animals if ya going to eat it. I lost the complete left front quarter and left brisket on my cow......

"Hollow point" is a subject in itself. Which hollow point? While the damage may have been significant, it would seem to me to be a positive factor in dispatching the animal quickly?

TIA....

I bought the same gun for the same reason's, just in a 260 rem. Love it - i haven't had time to work up loads for it, so I bought several boxes of Prime 130gr ammo. Taken 2 coyotes and a ND whitetail with the gun so far. Its been fun. I bought the 260 to take advantage of the high bc bullets, so I havet worried about lighter weight varmint bullets in it. When I get my 25-06 stock back from HS precision getting painted the 260 will probably get less coyote work. Still a fun gun tho and glad I bought it.

I too have experimented with the 107 Sierra, but the tmk. it's nearly as long as a 123gr... with a very mild load of varget I had it running 3112 fps with a 7sd. I was no where near pressure as I'm a few grains below max and shooting about 3/8" groups. I have ran this combo in prs out to 845yds with no problems. so definitely, give it a try! I didn't push it any faster because prs has a max speed of 3200fps.

I guess I should have qualified better. I'm looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor as the "ultimate" (yeah yeah I know.... that word annoys some people) non-magnum long range deliverer of bullets that has a plethora of factory ammo, brass, and bullets available and that will likely survive to be available for many years to come.

If that makes sense then I'll go further to state that the long range accuracy comes first in my list of important ballistic features and after that I'd like to have a bullet designed for great accuracy with a good BC but still having a fragile enough construction to come apart upon impact and act like a true varmint bullet will on impact.

I know it might never happen because the usual varmint type bullets are light for caliber to help achieve high velocity to maximize the explosive terminal characteristics of the varmint bullet.

So for now it appears that I haven't found precisely what I'm looking for so I'll settle for the best accuracy I can wring out of the cartridge/rifle combination and rely on the caliber for moderately devastating terminal performance.
The 6.5 PRC will run rings around it.

Just a thought. I'm thinking a 123 eld-m loaded with a powder that will give near 100% case fill for maximum velocity would work great. I'm thinking possibly rl-22? I think rl-17 will be too fast for a full case. Rl-26 is too slow. A 123 in the ball park of 3150 would be awesome. Great now I'm going to have to try this! Like I need to do any more bullet testing
RL23 and RL19 have both been working well for me in the .260's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts