Long range performance of ballistic tip and accubond bullets

crow mag,
I have to preface my remarks first by saying I have more respect for your post's than any other on this forum but I must disagree ,I witnessed my brother take a desert bighorn with my 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Accubonds and my nephew take a cow elk with a 300WM and 180gr Accubond at 820yards and both bullets performed beyond expectations,give them one more try.
B

Brian
What range was the desert bighorn shot at and were you happy with the expansion of the accubond?
Crow Mag

Great info Dakor.

I just purchased a box of the 140 ABs and I'm going to load some at 3200 for my 7 RM tonight. If they perform better than the NBTs like you said, I think I'm really going to like em'.

Thanks,

Reloader

I have a question for any of you. What are your seating depths on the 140 accubond for the 7mm Rem Mag?

After I started reloading I started with BT's in my 7mm RM. They work just fine for deer. They are a heavier jacketed bullet above the .22 BT's and designed for hunting "thin-skinned" game like deer and antelopes. I would still use them if I was shooting deer only. However, I've switched to the Accubond since I hunt Black Bear and Elk since they can be tougher. Plus a tougher bullet allows for less than perfect shots whereas the BT is best for a heart/lung shot only. I was using the Partitions for my last 2 elk and they worked fine but didn't have quite the accuracy as the tipped bullets do. Plus I was losing the entire tip of the Partition in the elk and wanted a bullet that would hold together a little better.

crow mag,
My brothers desert Big horn was only 450 yds. but the recovered bullet (160 gr accubond) was a perfect mushroom just as his sons was at 820yds on a cow elk. I must confess at this point I had my own experience last fall with an accubond. first let me digress ,I applied for 13 hunt's in 5 western states last year and went 0-13 I could not even draw a general season deer tag, so me and my nephew bought Wyoming antelope doe tags (oh the shame) but to make it sporting we decided to shoot them at 1000yds. O.K. I fell short and shot mine at 950yds with my 300WM and 180gr Accubond because some jackass shot and wounded this poor animal earlier in the day and I did not want it to suffer. the accubond (180gr 300WM)still mushroomed and woorked well.
think I am BS'ing we have it on video. Not hollywood but entertaining.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.