down range performance of bullets

Curly

I hope you can help with this question...hypothetical...I have a 30 cal rifle and (cartridge does not matter-say something in the case size of 300 win mag)wanted to know if for the same case capacity which would give better downrange stats. Say 168 grain or a 190 grain? Now we have the same case the same gun and the same shooter.... will one combo give better energy,flat trajectory etc. The heavier bullet is the same config as the lighter so balistic coef should be better. Will the higher bal coef give the same results with the slower vel? or will the 168 give better results?At say 500 yards will they both have about the same energy remaining and will the drop be about equal ? When dealing with larger case cap which would you go with for the distance mentioned....and why?

Curly,

Welcome to the LRH!!!

For the ranges you are talking about, 500 yards or so. The lighter bullets, at least the VLD or ULD designed bullets will generally shoot flatter then the heavier slower pills to these ranges.

The heavier bullets will generally have an energy advantage over most of the bullets trajectory.

One issue to remember is wind drift. Bullet drop is relatively easy to predict, especially at these ranges. What can cause great problems is wind drift. The heavier bullet with the higher B.C. will generally produce the least amount of wind drift.

To be honest, the most important factor would be to shoot both bullets and see which your rifle prefers as far as accuracy. The other aspects of the bullets will basically be a wash at 500 yards.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby...is there a point where it changes??? Say 1000 yards? I guess I was asking if all else the same( accuray etc) which bullet would/shouild I choose? I also want to try some long range groundhog snipeing and much over 500 here is not available but ??? Which would you start with to see just how good you and the gun can do at the longer ranges?

Curly,

Again this would depend on what twist you have in your barrel. Personally, for shooting out to 500 yards, I would probably opt for the lighter bullet as it will more then likely shoot flatter to this range and will also produce slightly less recoil. The difference will be small but it will be less.

I like to set the 1/2 mile mark for my personal distance when I start going to the heavy for caliber bullets. If I were shooting under 500 yards I would use the lighter pills for their flatter trajectoy.

If I would be shooting in the 600 to 900 yard range, either could be used if accurate in the rifle at those ranges.

If I am going to be stretching things out well past 1000 yards I will go with a ULD bullet everytime in as heavy a weight as I can get that my barrel will accurately shoot.

It all comes down to which bullet shoots the most consistant in your rifle.

For 500 yard shooting, I would personally start with the 169.5 gr ULD from Wildcat Bullets and then go from there.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby...thanks for the reply .. this is just what I am looking for ....this is great! Lot's of time on my hands right now and will play with this 'till I get back to work.....THANKS!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.