Performance of Wildcat bullets

gabby

I'm going to shoot Wildcat R.B.B.T. U.L.D. 130 gr. hp in my new 25-06 AI. I understand they they do well at long range. To my way of thinking that means they will expand slightly then plow through ( mule deer @ 500-700 yds ). Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anybody know what this bullet will do at much closer range? Say 100 yds more or less?
Mike

Gabby,

I have no experience with the WC 130 25 Cal bullets.

However, the 195 WC in 277 is a great terminal performer as seen from gathering remains from my "blow sand" backstop.

They act pretty much like an SMK without as much damage to the jacket. The mushroom will be very nicely formed leaving the back half of the jacket perfectly formed. The core does not stay in the jacket for the most part.

This with the bullet hitting the backstop, 1/2" plywood backed by 8" of very fine blow sand. It penetrates as much as the nosler 225 accubonds but doesn't have the the weight retention of the accubond.

It's hitting the 200 yard backstop at about 2800 fps which is pretty severe.

That bullet will expand very similiarly to what you would see with a conventional cup jacketed bullet such as say a 120 gr Sierra hp gameking. The special thing about these bullets is the higher BC which at longer ranges offers increased energy and higher retained velocity so you will get better expansion at longer ranges then what would be normal with a more conventional bullet.

I have not used that bullet but I have used the flat base 130 gr Wildcat ALOT on game and it works very well. I suspect that at the velocity ranges you will be using this bullet at, you will get great performance over the usiful range of your chambering.

Roy and Kirby; that's reasureing. After I got committed on this project I started thinking about Nosler ballistic tips: too much velocity + close range = extreme performance of the bloody kind. Extend the range and they work fine, or at least thats been my experience. My confidence is restored. Thanks Mike

I have been trying ot get in touch with him to order some 150s for the 7 mm STW and only got one response back. Anyone have a telephone number ?

Gabby,

Kirby describes the WC's performance quite well. The comparison with the conventional cup jackets is appropriate.

In my 270 Win, i've taken deer at long and close range. Long range with the Sierra 130 boat tail. Bullet went in the front and lodged under the hide ahead of the off side ham. Perfect expansion with lead retained.

Short range with a Nosler ballistic tip. Deer was facing kind of away # 110 yds. Bullet entered between the rear ham and rib and hit that little bone sicking down from the spine, crossed through the vitals and lodged in the hide at the off front shoulder. Bullet looked exactly like the LR Sierra with the jacket being curled back to almost the base. Just a small piece of the core was retained, which fell out when the bullet was handled.

All in all the performance was good with both bullets. I would expect the WCs to be as good or possibly better.

Blacktail,
It's gonna be pretty tough to get in touch with Richard.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.