Long nosed bullets

Bob S.

I want to try some lapua scenars or some bergers and some match kings in my 243 AI. I'm worried that they won't fit in the mag box when loaded to just off the lands. I don't want to use it as a single shot if it can be avoided. I will however consider it if you guys think the trade off will be worth it. I'm using this gun as a longer range deer and coyote gun so a second shot may be required. What do you guys think? Am I totally out to lunch or what?

cowboy, Give it a try, and load them to fit the mag. You may be surprised that even if not touching the lands they may shoot well. I was single shooting a 243 with 105 a-maxs and decided to make them fit the box. accuracy loss was negligable. very slight point of impact change though.

Cowboy:

The way I'd look at it is, if the gun is up to the task, power and accuracy wise, then I'd load them in whatever fashion it takes to get the best accuracy. If the bullet is put where it should, and has the construction and energy to handle the job, then it'll probably not matter that it's a single shot configuration if necessary.

The 7mm AM I just got from Kirby has the HS bottom metal and DBM even though I load in a configuration that requires me to use it as a single shot. I knew going in that 99% of the rounds through the gun would be done single shot, but I want to be able to work up another, separate load, to use with the detachable box magazine should the need come up.

I killed my deer and elk this season shooting the gun single shot and had no problems. I look it as though the single shot mode just makes me be more precise. There's the possibility that you may count on using multiple shots if you have the repeating feature. Single shot will make sure you focus and make the first shot count. Just do your part and the single shot should be enough.

Like Coyboy said though, you may be surprised and find that the shorter loaded length may be accurate enough for you. Try it both ways but don't be afraid to go the single shot route. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cowboy ,
Have the same dilemma with my Remington based .243 AI . If you try it , please let me know how you go with the 105 A - Max seated to magazine depth .
If that doesn't work for you , I've been using the 87gn V Max (BC.400) on game with good success at 3315 FPS ahead of 44.7 gns AR 2209 (H4350) . Berger also do a 90 grainer with a B.C. of .410 that should be good .
Have read that the Lapua Scenars aren't great on game anyway .

You guys are right! I'm gonna give it a go and if it turns out single shot length only the thats the way it is. I can always go to the hunting load I have now which is definately ok if I need to.

As the proud owner of several "Single Shot" rifles. Here is my take. I don't spend the time and money to perfect my rounds and then pull the trigger and have every one of my high BC rounds turned into a flat nose on the pull of the trigger.

Everything in life is a trade off. 243 might not have enough recoil to damage shells in the mag. So work up some load that will fit in and work up it's powder to get the vel. and MOA you require. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I'm probably in the minority here...I seat my rounds to fit the magazine. If a bullet doesn't shoot so seated, I look for another. I don't have any interest in using my 300 as a single shot except maybe for some experimentation/plinking.

Of course, its mission is probably a little different than some others' here. It's a light hunting rifle. As it sits now it's just a hair over 9 lbs and with the new barrel should still be a hair under 10 lbs with scope mounted--which is pretty light for a 300 RUM. It's a "do everything" rifle. I want to be able to reach out as far as possible, but I still spend a bunch of time sneaking through the brush where I've killed bucks at 15 yds with it. I haven't needed a follow-up shot in 15 years, but I want to have them available if needed. And the last thing in the world I want to have to do after jumping off a horse and yanking it out of the scabbard...is loading the **** thing!

Of course it's a compromise, but I really don't think I've left much accuracy potential on the table from such a light rifle with such a skinny factory barrel. It has done as well as possibly could be expected. I believe there's a hell of a lot more to gain from a quality barrel than there is from playing seating depth tricks that will only be a pain in my *** in the field.

For a 12lb, 15lb, or heavier rifle that would see a more specific "long range only" mission, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe one day I'll build one of those. But even if I did, I think I'd still be spending much of my time carrying this one. For the ranges I'm likely to shoot, I don't see this compromise as being a deal-breaker accuracy-wise. Maybe not optimum, but I've got bigger fish to fry.

Jon A, What kind of bunjee cord do you use with that light of RUM?? Just kidding, but are you using a break of some sort? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Heh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif No brake. It's really quite pleasant now with the new stock. I guess I'm just used to it since it was even worse for so many years even as a 300 Win Mag but a bit lighter with the (horribly designed--the newer Brownings are better) factory stock. As a 300 RUM with that stock, before I added weight...that was brutal!

Now it's a pussycat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Of course I don't try and play macho-man at the range--I use a Past Super Magnum shoulder protector and would not give up the Decelerator on the stock for the world. The new McMillan is so well designed and it's now heavy enough it's really a joy to shoot. I don't even think about the recoil any more. And the new barrel will add a bit more weight and make it even nicer. There was a time when it really did hurt me. It just doesn't anymore.

Really, it's much nicer than your average DGR. It just shoots farther. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jon A, If it shoots like a ***** cat with a decelerator pad, I'd like to see what a limbsaver pad would do. I've changed out two decelerators for the new limbsavers, and noticed a much softer recoil from each rifle. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks, I have heard the Limbsaver is softer for absorbing recoil--but also a bit "mushier" in other ways. In any case, I don't feel I need it now.

Hey, I just noticed you're in my neck of the woods...well, close anyway. You'd be welcome to shoot it sometime if you like. Ever get to this side of the state?

Cowboy, you may get one round in the magazine, try it. Often, the first round in the magazine can be seated actually longer than the magazine, the nose of the bullet can go up in the feed ramp area and the action. This will allow you a 2 shot repeater. Varioius calibers differ on this technique, you will have to try it and see. You can seat the bullets on two more rounds deeper to go into the magazine as back ups only. I usually dip the short seated rounds in touch up blueing solution to mark the brass so that I don't get them mixed up with the rounds that have the bullets touching the lands. I dip brass in touch up blueing solution before it is loaded with a spent primer in the primer pocket, then allow the brass to dry for a couple of days before handling just in case there might be some leaking from a loose fitting primer.

Good luck

I always seat my bullets about an 1/8" less the max bullet length on my reloading equipment, I measure with my caliper.
Never had any problem putting bullets into rifles mag. Bullets shoot as well as can be expected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.