Loading for a ar10

jeff 300

What is a good load for an ar10 in 308 I'm going to use 168 smk n maybe varget. Is there any thing different about loading for a AR10 VS a bolt gun??? Never loaded for a AR before

What is a good load for an ar10 in 308 I'm going to use 168 smk n maybe varget. Is there any thing different about loading for a AR10 VS a bolt gun??? Never loaded for a AR before

Yes they are very different, powder, charge weight, full length sizing and trimming are key for the guy who wants to shoot his rifle vs the guy who wants his rifle so shoot him as it explodes in his face! Don't go chasing speeds if will get you hurt.

Which Armalite rifle do you have? Use the 175 SMK the 168 was designed for 300m it will go further of course but your going to loose stability around 700m.

Varget or R15 are fine powders, I would suggest the CCI#44 primer to mitigate the risk of slam fires, due to the weapons floating firing pin.

I have a rock river lar 8 308 and my cousin has a dpms lr 308 we r going to start loading for them just never load for any kind of ar rifles.

p.m. Kevin Thomas here on lrh... he's got his head wrapped around semi auto rifles really well.

In short though, use the service rifle sections in your reloading books, use small base dies (at least fl) and taper or roll crimp, use the mil- spec primers as previously mentioned, watch your brass as the auto will beat it up more than a bolt, and ensure your ammo (length usually) will feed well and fit the mag without dragging.

44 grains of IMR4064 under 168's has been a match winning record setting load for the .308 since 1964. Don't crimp cases onto those bullets, or any bullet, if best accuracy is your objective. Full length size cases but don't set the fired case shoulder back more than 2 thousandths.

Tens (hundreds?) of thousands of Federal 210 primers have been fired in M1, M14, M1A rifles and their floating firing pin has never caused a slam fire. Federal primers need at least a .020" deep dimple to fire them; floating firing pins don't dimple Federal primers that deep.

Unless your barrel's at least 24 inches long, 168 Sierra's will go subsonic at about 800 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.